Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0790e8af857d71b9539fe83d0e1f529cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue squadron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U-Wing PilotR1 (Donna)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: New here Reply with quote

Hello! I am new here! I learned about the 501st because I am a Wish Granter for the Make-A-Wish foundation. I am currently building a 501st approvable AT-AT Driver costume for my daughter.

I would love to "troop" with her as a U-Wing Pilot. I figured if I have to stand around and wait for her until she is old enough to do it by herself I may as well dress up too. Don't laugh but we have seen Rogue One 11 times. I love the U-Wing uniform. Love the blue flight suit.

So...... is there a way I can get started on things like the helmet and chest pieces while you are figuring out the blue flight suit? Can I buy an already made helmet? Any help would be great.
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: New here Reply with quote

U-Wing PilotR1 wrote:
Hello! I am new here! I learned about the 501st because I am a Wish Granter for the Make-A-Wish foundation. I am currently building a 501st approvable AT-AT Driver costume for my daughter.

I would love to "troop" with her as a U-Wing Pilot. I figured if I have to stand around and wait for her until she is old enough to do it by herself I may as well dress up too. Don't laugh but we have seen Rogue One 11 times. I love the U-Wing uniform. Love the blue flight suit.

So...... is there a way I can get started on things like the helmet and chest pieces while you are figuring out the blue flight suit? Can I buy an already made helmet? Any help would be great.
Greetings, Donna!

You're not the only one anxious to do a U-wing pilot outfit. A lot of us are. Smile Unfortunately, however, no one yet makes the helmet, or at least not that I'm aware of. I think that one person has been working on the chestbox, though last time I saw it it looked like there was still a fair bit of work to be done on it (and I can't remember who was making it-- I saw it on Facebook). A pattern for the flak vest also needs to be worked out as the vest is a bit different from the X-wing pilot, and I'm not even sure what the back looks like.

One possibility would be to just do a Blue Squadron X-wing pilot, where you could use the X-wing pilot helmet, chestbox and flak vest, and you'd still be able to wear the blue flightsuit.

Now of only someone made and sold the suits, too... Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word on the street is that Chris Hale in CA has already come up with a vacuform U-wing bucket, but that's all I've heard, haven't seen it. Amid making TFA X-wing stuff and RFT vests, Blue Squadron has kinda taken a back burner right now for me.

Donna, you're in good company.... I've seen Rogue One 11 times myself as well Smile
Got to see it one last time in 70mm IMAX here in Indianapolis this past Sunday.

Stay tuned, I bet after Celebration next month, there will be more chatter and motivation to work on Blue Squadron stuff.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if someone has already done the suit and is waiting for Celebration to reveal it.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT would be a great surprise!!
Massiff Squadron CO

Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started working on a chest box this week. Its just in the design stage still though. Trying to figure out size & details next .

U-Wing PilotR1 (Donna)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I think I will wait until next month to see if Celebration brings a way to be a U-Wing Pilot. If not I do like the idea of Blue X-Wing.

I wish we were going to Celebration in Orlando. We just went to the Celebration Europe in London last July. It was awesome!!!
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronan wrote:
I just started working on a chest box this week. Its just in the design stage still though. Trying to figure out size & details next .

THAT is an ingenious way to gauge the size! Very cool.... I'm assuming this will be 3D printed?
Massiff Squadron CO

Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll 3d print the first one and either slush cast or vacuform the rest.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chestbox is looking good so far. Keep us updated! Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is about as close as I can get for now. I'm not happy with the upper left. Its too hard to see what's going on so I guessed. Also a few other places I took some liberty. I still think this is some kind of filer or pump. It looks like the upper right piece snaps in.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some really impressive work. Awesome job! I totally want one. Very Happy

A little critique... It looks like there should be an indented area around the large ring on the upper right of the chestbox. It looks like there's an indented ring around the outside of the largest protruding ring. The red rectangle could made be a little taller (though it looks to me like it might just have been painted on, anyway), the inner ring on the bottom right of the chestbox should maybe be a little bit wider and the square cuts in the corners it a bit more pronounced, and the socket where the two thick cords go into, it looks like there are two or three rectangular indents on the top of it. And I think that both of the holes in the bottom right gray rectangle could be cut in a bit deeper. And the little line in the center of the chestbox at the left edge, above the S-shaped line, it looks like maybe that should be a little longer. It looks like that line should go almost to the end of the gray square above it, but not quite to the edge, like maybe 1/3" shorter or something. There's also some sort of gray greeblie where you have the black rectangle cut. I don't know, it kind of looks like a series of little L-shaped things with the L laying on its back. Razz

I agree that it looks like the front upper plate might come off (or did before it was turned into a chestbox). It looks like there's a little rounded indent above the upper clip, like where you might put the tip of your finger to pry off the plate. I can't tell for certain that there even is an upper clip, of if there's just the bottom one. It also looks like that plate has a cut around the bottom clip.

There's also the bottom piece that the other end of the thick black cords go into. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
That is some really impressive work. Awesome job! I totally want one. Very Happy

A little critique... It looks like there should be an indented area around the large ring on the upper right of the chestbox. It looks like there's an indented ring around the outside of the largest protruding ring. The red rectangle could made be a little taller (though it looks to me like it might just have been painted on, anyway), the inner ring on the bottom right of the chestbox should maybe be a little bit wider and the square cuts in the corners it a bit more pronounced, and the socket where the two thick cords go into, it looks like there are two or three rectangular indents on the top of it. And I think that both of the holes in the bottom right gray rectangle could be cut in a bit deeper. And the little line in the center of the chestbox at the left edge, above the S-shaped line, it looks like maybe that should be a little longer. It looks like that line should go almost to the end of the gray square above it, but not quite to the edge, like maybe 1/3" shorter or something. There's also some sort of gray greeblie where you have the black rectangle cut. I don't know, it kind of looks like a series of little L-shaped things with the L laying on its back. Razz

I agree that it looks like the front upper plate might come off (or did before it was turned into a chestbox). It looks like there's a little rounded indent above the upper clip, like where you might put the tip of your finger to pry off the plate. I can't tell for certain that there even is an upper clip, of if there's just the bottom one. It also looks like that plate has a cut around the bottom clip.

There's also the bottom piece that the other end of the thick black cords go into. Smile

Thanks, some of those I had noticed and are in the works. It's nice to have fresh eyes looking at things too. The upper right the top looked like there was a clip but it broke off on the pic I was looking at, but I see its missing on the others too. I'll post my updated one later today.
Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some tweaks I made. Still need more reference on the the upper left side and hose attachments. Hopefully we will see some at celebration.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking very promising. You're doing an awesome job on it! Smile

While looking at the Rogue One guide book I noticed a couple other small things on the chestbox, specifically the little round details on the gray square and a detail on the side of the flak vest box that the cords connect to. I'll try to post some pictures when I'm back on my main computer, if you'd like.

I was also curious, have you ever thought of making the little front panel with the clip a separate piece? The chestbox might be easier to cast that way, and it would make the black half-circle next to it easier to paint (probably, maybe), and it would make the chestbox looks a little more like was a real functional piece of equipment. Just a thought, anyway. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: