Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6f6131ba96bd180f52da1d736a50ee1eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

7/ 28-30 / 17 - NOVA CON, Tysons Corner, VA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solfrann (Christopher Brooks)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: 7/ 28-30 / 17 - NOVA CON, Tysons Corner, VA Reply with quote

I am VERY new to this. How would we go about getting involved with NOVA CON? This is a brand new CON to northern VA and might be the PERFECT opportunity to recruit new members.

EDIT: Looks like Garrison Tyranus is supporting them. Do we have any connections we could use to find out more info?

Other costume groups:
Mandalorian Mercs (applied)
501st (working on Grand Moff)
Npask82 (Nick Pasquariello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Lori or Anna will cross-post this but below the the info from GT's post:

Event Name: The NOVA- CON
Venue: Ritz Carlton
Venue address: Tyson's Corner, Virginia
Tyson's Corner, Virginia
USA
Event Start: July 28, 2017 - TBD
Event End: July 30, 2017 - TBD
Event Website: www.thenovacon.com
Expected number of attendees: 8000+
Requested number of characters: 20
Requested character types:
Secure changing/staging area: Yes
Comments: Nova Con is part of the NOVA FEST...In combination with Comic Logic in Ashburn Va....A 16000 sq ft comic con at the Ritz Carlton in Tysons Corner...we would like 501st there walking around and in a designated spot for pics at entrance. We would be honored to make a donation to a local charity in the name of the 501st as well.
azri84 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin B is the a coordinator. We have a 501st table, but since we have a limited amount of badges, that'll go to 501st members first.

kevin@thenovacon.com
animattor78 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we contact them about a rebel legion table too?
Centreville VA
treblemaker (Carly Kennedy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good idea if we can still get a table at this point. I've already volunteered to help with GT, but I'd be happy to swap up between the two. I guess we need to wait for Lori to get back for more info?
Punisha (Tim Allen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys have a RL table display and table setup ? I would make sure you have the proper display before getting a table.
Central REO
Garrison Tyranus
Central Event Captain
Freedom Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisha wrote:
Do you guys have a RL table display and table setup ? I would make sure you have the proper display before getting a table.

I don't have anything, just glad to help and awaiting further information on if something is arranged for RL to be there!
midichlorianlori (Lori Frye)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a table at a con is more complicated than you may think.

You need to be invited to do a table by con organizers; or at some conventions, you actually need to pay to have a table. It is not a situation where we can just set up a table where we want- table space at conventions is a prized asset that convention managers control. Here is a link to the rates that NovaCon is charging for people who they don't offer a free table: $125-$325, and those tables are sold out. https://www.novacomic-con.com/exhibitor While they contacted the 501st and offered a free table, as far as I know they have not been in touch with us- and they are not obligated to offer us a table.

You also need to have an adequate table display to get people's attention - props, costume pieces, brochures, etc. The 501st usually gets multiple people to bring costume pieces to put on a really good display. I have enough stuff in my personal stock to put on a decent mini-display for either Rebel Legion or the 501st if I am able to attend an event, but we need more for a big event. And note that someone has to pay for items like brochures that we give away- we don't have a budget, so someone has to buy them and donate them.

But historically, our biggest stumbling block has been this- you need to have enough people signed up for the event to staff the table through the entire convention, even at times like Friday (when most people are working) and Sunday afternoons (when most people want to go home). Someone has to be there to set up the table before the convention starts each day and to break it down at the end of each con day, and there needs to be at least one or two people (preferably two) manning the table throughout the entire convention.

Until the recent influx of new members, we have not had enough Rebel Legion manpower in Northern VA to run a table at events other than Air & Scare. And NovaCon is actually the first convention in Northern VA since I started trooping with the 501st 15 years ago.

We are likely too late to get a table at NovaCon, since their paid tables are sold out. However, it can't hurt to ask if we can get our act sufficiently together. But, we've got some serious work to do if you want to consider approaching the NovaCon organizers to ask for a Rebel Legion table. We don't want to ask them for a table and not be able to stock it or staff it, especially since their paid tables have sold out.

Before we approach them, we need the following:

1. Commitments by at least 2 volunteers to staff the table for the entire con hours, plus during the hour before and after con hours for set-up/break down each day:

4 PM - 10 PM Fri 7/28
10 AM -7 PM Sat 7/29
10 AM - 5 PM Sun 7/30

2. Commitments by volunteers to bring display items for the table. I have a RL banner, some brochures/flyers, a Salacious Crumb puppet and a Jawa costume on a dress form. Additional items would be needed to do a table worthy of a major con.

3. Commitments by additional volunteers to attend in Rebel Legion costumes through the con. Having two people sitting at a table isn't enough if you want to make a strong impression; you also need to have characters roaming in costume and pointing people to the RL table if they ask questions about your costume.

If you attend NovaCon, plan on buying your own ticket, whether we have a table or not. The 501st, who were invited by the organizers got a very limited number of passes (not sure how small), and even the $400 paid exhibitors only got two 3-day passes, so expect few to none for free passes even if we are able to get a table. If we aren't able to get a table, everyone will need to pay their own admission.

If we can't work up the manpower to ask for a table, or if we get the manpower but are turned down by NovaCon, then our best bet is to have as many RL costumers as possible show up in costume, and bring brochures/cards to hand out as we walk the convention floor. I am bringing my Admiral Ackbar to wear whether we have a table or not, and will be there late Friday evening and all day Sat/Sun (but I can only wear him for about 2 hours Sat and Sun- it's a very hot costume).

Please post to this thread if you plan to attend, and let me know what hours you can attend- and how many of those hours you would be willing to work a table or troop in RL costume. Thanks!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely understand! Glad youíre back and have details!

I have a ticket for NovaCon, and as stated previously Iíve already volunteered with the 501st but Iím happy to help out with whatever I can. I realize thereís very little chance of having/manning a RL table, but Iím glad to swap between my x-wing pilot and TIE reserve throughout the weekend and talking up the Rebel Legion regardless. I can also provide my x-wing helmet to display on the table when Iím not wearing it. I should be there all three days, and Iím glad to help out one way or the other the whole time!

I also mentioned this in my PM to you, but Iíd love to buy some business cards to be able to hand out with the Freedom Base logo, link to the website, that sort of thing. If thatís okay since Iím not an officer, Iíd just like to be able to have something on hand to give folks who are interested in joining!

UPDATE: Got the PDFs for business cards from Nick, thanks! Placed an order!
Neil Uma-Yann (Neil Umayam)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already volunteered to help out the 501st with set up on Friday. I work right down the street from the Ritz. I have not decided if I will hang around wearing Kylo, Krennic or Galen and such.
Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 6 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punisha wrote:

I have PLENTY at my house for a display as most of the things for Air and Scare I provide anyways

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treblemaker wrote:
Absolutely understand! Glad youíre back and have details!

I have a ticket for NovaCon, and as stated previously Iíve already volunteered with the 501st but Iím happy to help out with whatever I can. I realize thereís very little chance of having/manning a RL table, but Iím glad to swap between my x-wing pilot and TIE reserve throughout the weekend and talking up the Rebel Legion regardless. I can also provide my x-wing helmet to display on the table when Iím not wearing it. I should be there all three days, and Iím glad to help out one way or the other the whole time!

I also mentioned this in my PM to you, but Iíd love to buy some business cards to be able to hand out with the Freedom Base logo, link to the website, that sort of thing. If thatís okay since Iím not an officer, Iíd just like to be able to have something on hand to give folks who are interested in joining!

UPDATE: Got the PDFs for business cards from Nick, thanks! Placed an order!

I already have 100s of business cards made up

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori...are we going to try to do this then? We have a display

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bouri-Plwel wrote:
Lori...are we going to try to do this then? We have a display

Based on her earlier post I'm guessing that between the time, low number of people, and the fact that the tables are already all gone, probably not for this year.

We ought to look into getting something set up for next year (and maybe seeing if Terrapin Base would be interested in helping staff the table?).

Would be nice to have some Rebel Legion flyers available at the 501st table though!
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't even tried to ask if we can get a table....they may donate one for our use....the worse they can say is no

It would be better to ask and be told no vs. going and finding out we could have had a table...we have been having the discussion...we should at least try IMO

Plus...we don't know how many are attending the con at this point...many if not most of the 501st attending are also RL members....but all they do mainly is troop 501st...that is a big part of the problem why we cant get support.....more people need to be willing to split time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: