Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fe96714eb70e21cbdbe5f56fc281e65bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TFA Resistance Trooper costume standards proposal (v. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> The Force Awakens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leno wrote:
"This thread has nothing to do with ROGUE ONE, I ask the administrators to place or position where it really belongs that is not here. "

navarre1095 wrote:
Wrong spot, I know. It won't let me move it.

Hence the post directly above yours.

Works in Progress:Kal Skirata, vaporator prop

Last edited by navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY) on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have some time to revisit this character, what still needs done to move the standard forward?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will hassle the judges.

Works in Progress:Kal Skirata, vaporator prop
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am ready to submit my costume, but am waiting for formalization if it ever happens.

navarre1095 wrote:

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navarre1095 wrote:

hey....no hassling the judges....

Laughing

We are already on meds for stress....

Anyway....

This costume is in the queue and it is a very nice rendering...
right now I have a discussion among the judges on a few things...
Jedi patience is required...
sometimes things move at the speed of glaciers

Laughing

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hassling intended. Funny you mentioned glaciers, because that is one of the topics I conduct research on!

Schph Gochi wrote:
navarre1095 wrote:

hey....no hassling the judges....

Laughing

We are already on meds for stress....

Anyway....

This costume is in the queue and it is a very nice rendering...
right now I have a discussion among the judges on a few things...
Jedi patience is required...
sometimes things move at the speed of glaciers

Laughing

―General Han Solo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two credits is that with 9 optional items on the list...there really should be a requirement of at least 4 and not only 2.

For example...generic Jedi have 4 optional items and an applicant must have 3 of the 4.

Desert Troopers have 8 additional items and applicants are required to choose 5.

When I look at the Hoth Trooper costumes....where there are a lot of additional items to choose from and the requirement for optional is very few, most of the Troopers I have judged in the past really add all of them.

Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think all 9 should be on the optional list, since some of them are only seen once or twice (e.g. backpack and sidearm). We could probably remove those. The reason for so many options is that there are very simple troopers that only have a belt and jacket (no hat even) to heavily armed troopers that have virtually all of the optional items. Another big issue is that to my knowledge, no one is making a screen accurate EL-16 blaster. Maybe there is over on the RPF, but I don't think so.

Should this maybe be two standards: one for "assault troopers" with screen accurate helmet and blasters and one for "ground crew" with the more simple jacket, belt, soft cap/no cap? Many of these Resistance actors don't even carry weapons so they maybe more of support or ground crew. 4
Schph Gochi wrote:
My two credits is that with 9 optional items on the list...there really should be a requirement of at least 4 and not only 2.

For example...generic Jedi have 4 optional items and an applicant must have 3 of the 4.

Desert Troopers have 8 additional items and applicants are required to choose 5.

When I look at the Hoth Trooper costumes....where there are a lot of additional items to choose from and the requirement for optional is very few, most of the Troopers I have judged in the past really add all of them.

―General Han Solo

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toda wrote:
I don't think all 9 should be on the optional list, since some of them are only seen once or twice (e.g. backpack and sidearm). We could probably remove those. The reason for so many options is that there are very simple troopers that only have a belt and jacket (no hat even) to heavily armed troopers that have virtually all of the optional items. Another big issue is that to my knowledge, no one is making a screen accurate EL-16 blaster. Maybe there is over on the RPF, but I don't think so.

Should this maybe be two standards: one for "assault troopers" with screen accurate helmet and blasters and one for "ground crew" with the more simple jacket, belt, soft cap/no cap? Many of these Resistance actors don't even carry weapons so they maybe more of support or ground crew. 4

You can also add or change items to simply "optional" and not "optional for formal". Some of the Trooper costumes have both designations. Optional for formal being that you MUST have a certain number...
and just plain "optional" indicates other items that can be made and added to the applicants discretion.

If the major pieces of the costume (jacket, pants, boots etc) are the same then playing with optional and optional for formal simplifies things since I really don't foresee a lot of people making these costumes since TFA is nearly 2 years ago and not many people have made any of the Rebel costumes from TFA other than Pilots.

jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toda wrote:
Another big issue is that to my knowledge, no one is making a screen accurate EL-16 blaster. Maybe there is over on the RPF, but I don't think so.

Its pricey, but it exists.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/386720452/el-16hfe-blaster-rifle-poe-dameron-and

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working standard v.2 - 7/20/17

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
Ive re-read the proposed V.1 and taken another look at the standards.

Here are my proposed edits for V.1.1

Proposed Standard – Resistance Trooper
Required Items:
1. Jacket - Light Olive, Dark Green, Brown, Ochre or tan Light olive or dark green or brown or tan military jacket with no visible buttons or zippers shown. Most jackets appear to have stand up, short collars. Russian Afghanistan campaign jackets (tan) seem to be screen accurate on some troopers, while Czech. and German (and other?) field jackets (greens and browns) appear to be on other troopers. Some jackets have a red or black Rebel Alliance “Starbird” logo spray-painted or stenciled on them. Starbird should be red to red-orange as seen on screen and consistent with screen images

2. Long-sleeve mockturtleneck shirt – cream, light tan or ivory in color

3. Pants – Dark green or brown in color. Military trousers with no leg-side pockets preferred. BDUs are not acceptable.

4. Belt – brown leather belt with metal rectangle buckle. Belt should be 1.75” to 2” wide and Range Tan or Canyon Tan in color

5. Boots/shoes – Option 1: Black or brown, flat, wedge-soled boots with two dual-strap Velcro closures. Fugu Japanese Super Boots seem screen accurate on some screen troopers and in the Visual Dictionary, but some troopers seem to have taller, non-velcro-strapped fronts.
Option 2: Po-Zu Well-2 brown or black boots or something similar
Option 3: Black low-cut boots or black shoes with rounded toe with dark brown or dark green colored gaiters.

OPTIONAL ITEMS (at least two one required for formal)
1. Screen-accurate flip-front combat helmet (type unknown)

2. Canvas patrol cap or other similar cap. Numerous versions are seen in the movie. A Russian Afghanistan campaign cap with back flap appears on a few troopers, desert style caps on others and standard patrol caps yet on even more.

3. Leather belt boxes

4. Blaster – BlasTech EL-16 or EL-16HFE blaster rifle or refurbished DH-17 blaster

Additional Optional Items

5. Sidearm and holster - Glie-44 Erliss Ryloth Defense Tech Pistol - accurately modeled and appropriately painted. Holster should be Black/Charcoal/Dark Grey or brown molded holster of a hard/stiff material and secured with rivets/Chicago screws and affixed to the belt via a loop of grey webbing/strapping.

6. Backpack – Canvas olive drab or tan pack with two strap closures are seen on some troopers (British WWII soft pack?). Another brown pack is visible on at least one trooper with numerous greeblies and parts added on to give the appearance of a communications/radio pack.

7. Ammunitions bandolier – Brown or green. Several types are seen in the movie.

8. Gloves – black or brown leather short gloves

9. Goggles – White or black frame with white or grey strap consistent with shapes and colors as seen on screen

this mix and match uniform is going to make ERT's look like kid stuff when it comes to options. There are so many ways to do it, its hard NOT to do it. Some people are going to have most of this stuff in their closets from being part of other clubs.

―General Han Solo
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets move forward with this standard and get it complete.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, ive made some suggested edits for "readability"

As always, the costumer must match what is seen on screen as closely as possible.

Working standard proposal v.2.1

proposed deletions in red,
proposted verbiage changes in blue.

Proposed Standard – Resistance Trooper
Required Items:

1. Jacket - Light Olive, Dark Green, Brown, Ochre or tan Light olive or dark green or brown or tan military jacket with no visible buttons or zippers shown. Most jackets have stand up collars. Russian Afghanistan campaign jackets (tan) seem to be screen accurate on some troopers, while Czech. and German (and other?) field jackets appear on other troopers in greens and browns. Some jackets have a red or black Rebel Alliance “Starbird” logo spray-painted or stenciled on them. Starbird should be red to red-orange as seen on screen and consistent with screen images

2. Long-sleeve mockturtleneck shirt – cream, light tan or ivory in color

3. Pants – Dark green or brown in color. Military trousers with no leg-side pockets preferred. BDUs are not acceptable.

4. Belt – brown leather belt with metal rectangle buckle. Belt should be 1.75” to 2” wide and Range Tan or Canyon Tan in color

5. Boots/shoes – Option 1: Black or brown, flat, wedge-soled boots with two dual-strap Velcro closures. Fugu Japanese Super Boots as seen on some on screen troopers and in the Visual Dictionary but some troopers seem to have taller, non-velcro-strapped fronts.
Option 2: Po-Zu Well-2 brown or black boots or something similar
Option 3: Black low-cut boots or black shoes with rounded toe with dark brown or dark green colored gaiters.

OPTIONAL ITEMS (at least two one required for formal)

Pick two or more for approval
1. Screen-accurate flip-front combat helmet (type unknown)

2. Canvas patrol cap or other similar cap. Numerous versions are seen in the movie. A Russian Afghanistan campaign cap with back flap appears on a few troopers, desert style caps on others and standard patrol caps yet on even more.

3. Leather belt boxes

4. Blaster – BlasTech EL-16 or EL-16HFE blaster rifle or refurbished DH-17 blaster where allowed by law

Additional Optional Items

5. Sidearm and holster - Glie-44 Erliss Ryloth Defense Tech Pistol - accurately modeled and appropriately painted. Holster should be Black/Charcoal/Dark Grey or brown molded holster of a hard/stiff material and secured with rivets/Chicago screws and affixed to the belt via a loop of grey webbing/strapping.

6. Backpack – Canvas olive drab or tan pack with two strap closures are seen on some troopers [color=red](British WWII soft pack?). [/color]Another brown pack is visible on at least one trooper with numerous greeblies and parts added on to give the appearance of a communications/radio pack. Match screen references.

7. Ammunitions bandolier – Brown or green. Several types are seen in the movie.

8. Gloves – black or brown leather short gloves

9. Goggles – White or black frame with white or grey strap consistent with shapes and colors as seen on screen
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks good David! Lets run with it...

―General Han Solo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree...

put it up for a vote making sure you have clearly identified things as best as possible.

As a judge, I can tell you that there are a lot of applicants who will try to state that the standard is "unclear".....

where I know we can't make everything crystal clear, please make sure all of your descriptions are as clear as humanly possible..

Wink

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> The Force Awakens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: