Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9ce68a2eb2634eadb74da7259e11f2d4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Philonius' TFA X-wing vest tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redwillow ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thx for the clarification. I may just have to add a small piece on each side to make that connection between the 2 sections. I dont have much slack there and my velcro is already in place.

I did also remake my back padded area using your new info and it came out better than on my original.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwillow wrote:
Yes, thx for the clarification. I may just have to add a small piece on each side to make that connection between the 2 sections. I dont have much slack there and my velcro is already in place.

I did also remake my back padded area using your new info and it came out better than on my original.

Awesome!
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Redwillow ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to glue the vinyl to the back of the chestplate?

I originally used contact cement, but it is separating.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redwillow wrote:
What did you use to glue the vinyl to the back of the chestplate?

I originally used contact cement, but it is separating.

I have a contact cement called "Master" I get from our local leather store. I have also been riveting the corners... When I make my layered chest plates (white plastic on black plastic), I can hide the rivet heads under the white layer. I use small tap-on rivets, also from the leather store... The flat base end goes between the plastics, with the rounded head on the backside.
Massiff Squadron CO

ichnob ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic tutorial. Can't wait to get started on this after Wonder Con this spring.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Fantastic tutorial. Can't wait to get started on this after Wonder Con this spring.

Thanks! Hopefully by then I'll have the rest of it up Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

Mrimagination ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Philonius' TFA X-wing vest tutorial Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:

The Chest Plate:
1. Trace out the lines on the piece of white plastic where the cut-outs will be, and using a good blade or Dremel, make the cuts. Make sure to save the three small pieces that fit in the cut-outs on each long side, and smooth the cut edges.

2. Glue (E-6000, Gorilla, etc) or rivet the black backing piece of plastic to the white athletic vinyl or cloth. Rivets would be good to help strengthen the bond, and you can hide the flat side of a rivet by gluing the white cut pieces over the rivets (making sure they are flat/flush with the black plastic).

3. Approximately 1/2" from each side of the plastic plate, sew a strip of white velcro to the athletic vinyl/cloth. (Later, you will stitch the other half of the velcro to the backside of the vest... this is what holds the vest together in the front.)

what are the dimensions you use for this?
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Philonius' TFA X-wing vest tutorial Reply with quote

Mrimagination wrote:
Philonius wrote:

The Chest Plate:
1. Trace out the lines on the piece of white plastic where the cut-outs will be, and using a good blade or Dremel, make the cuts. Make sure to save the three small pieces that fit in the cut-outs on each long side, and smooth the cut edges.

2. Glue (E-6000, Gorilla, etc) or rivet the black backing piece of plastic to the white athletic vinyl or cloth. Rivets would be good to help strengthen the bond, and you can hide the flat side of a rivet by gluing the white cut pieces over the rivets (making sure they are flat/flush with the black plastic).

3. Approximately 1/2" from each side of the plastic plate, sew a strip of white velcro to the athletic vinyl/cloth. (Later, you will stitch the other half of the velcro to the backside of the vest... this is what holds the vest together in the front.)

what are the dimensions you use for this?

Per my materials list:
*1 3.75x6" (9.5x15.2cm) piece of black 1/8" (3mm) thick plastic (for the base of the chest plate)
*1 3.75x6" (9.5x15.2cm) piece of white 1/16" (6mm) thick plastic (for the top face of the chest plate)
Massiff Squadron CO

Mrimagination ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks good sir.
ichnob ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm converting the OP to a Word document that I can keep referring to without needing to be online. Looking forward to more updates after Celebration.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry folks... been actually SEWING instead of working on this tutorial! Post-Celebration should be less hectic Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

TerranCmdr ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, just popping in to say thank you to Philonius for the amazing tutorial! My costume is finally starting to come together and I'm planning to start on the vest this weekend (my elastic for the suit is still in the mail so that is stalled.)

Philonius, any chance you have the rest of this tutorial? I'm cautiously confident I can figure it out the rest of the way, but thought I would just ask in case.

Also, looks like your images have been blocked by Photobucket. I have most of them saved in a word file thankfully, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Thanks again!
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerranCmdr wrote:
Hi there, just popping in to say thank you to Philonius for the amazing tutorial! My costume is finally starting to come together and I'm planning to start on the vest this weekend (my elastic for the suit is still in the mail so that is stalled.)

Philonius, any chance you have the rest of this tutorial? I'm cautiously confident I can figure it out the rest of the way, but thought I would just ask in case.

Also, looks like your images have been blocked by Photobucket. I have most of them saved in a word file thankfully, but just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

Thanks again!

Gorram Photobucket. They actually gave you the option of hot linking pictures for forums, THEN they pull this poodoo. Thanks.... Yeah, I was notified by them and one of our guys had the same thing happen to him (he wrote the belt and blaster tutorials).

I still don't have the rest, sorry. Been focusing on sewing. When I come back through to fix my images, I'll try and put down some more info.
Massiff Squadron CO

TerranCmdr ()

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Much appreciated.
TerranCmdr ()

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, if I could ask you just one more question about the vest....

I've got everything cut and sewn, and am nearing completion of the vest. However there is one part that's unclear to me. The front padded parts that go under the Mae West have a long flap that hangs over toward the center of the vest. I assume these are meant to have velcro sewn onto them, for the buckle piece to attach. However I'm not quite sure how to accomplish that. Does the velcro get sewn onto that flap, then the flap sewn to the piece under the padded piece? The padding would then hide the seam I assume. Or does that whole flap piece just tuck under the padding somehow?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> TFA X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: