Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c8d1239b09e7b4e159e57c40af66a80eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

First Cosplay, First Costume
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ayeso ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: First Cosplay, First Costume Reply with quote

This is my first attempt at any cosplay ever! So please.. be gentle..

So I decided I wanted to do an Anakin from ROTS. This was partly due to my friend having a decent ObiWan style outfit and I thought it would be fun to have a good/evil looking duo.

I spent a while researching and trying to find what materials I needed, what colors etc. This ended up being quite a monumental task! There are so many good resources out there its hard to figure it all out at times.

Lets start with the Robe/Tunic. The robe I really wanted the right material. After a ton of digging http://www.bblackandsons.com/brown-crepe-fabric-p-224.html is the material I found that was closest to screen accurate. Brown Wool Crepe. Ordered 10 yards.

Onto the tunic. Everywhere said to use this cotton gauze and to preshrink it and dye it. https://www.fabric.com/buy/0452915/heavy-cotton-gauze-white is the fabric I found. I ended up with 7 or 8 yard.

So Ive never dyed any fabric before. I originally tried this dye from Michaels and it did not do a great job. Everytime I rinsed it, it would just pour dye out of it and fade more. I ended up going to a paint store and buying proper dye and soda ash and just eyeballing the color. I may go a bit darker later on.

Once this was all done I grabbed all the fabric and backing material and took it to my friend who does sewing and cosplay work. She ended up doing a great job and the test fit looked awesome. She has a bunch of final touches to do but all in all very happy how it looks with just holding it on with my hand.

I know some parts are wrong. The inner tunic is the same fabric, and the tabards are black. I may try and color them more brown if I have time. Its just the only material I could get.

Boots were a huge pain. It was either junk and not the right color or 300+ CAD. I opted for el cheapo boots and just painting to make them look better. I think they turned out alright.

Belt I just ordered a full set of belt, pouches and food canisters. I will get the pouches made locally by a leatherworker soon. Didn’t want to rush that part.

Glove, ugh this was a mess. I ordered one, turns out it was a kid one. They look terrible but they are the best of the worst. Im looking to get one made by a local leatherworker. I cant justify 300USD for a nice one from customprops.

Wig, I got the Hansel wig from Arda wigs! It looks pretty close. I may need to style it a bit but its pretty nice.

Scar, my girlfriend showed me how to do the scar. I think it looks great and cant wait to try myself.

So the final part is the saber. I decided to make this myself. I ended up having to learn a few new skills but its coming along nicely. I have 2 different saber boards. A Nano biscotte and a spark 2. Should be nice once its done!

Sorry for the novel! It’s a huge amount of details all at once! Im aiming to have everything done for the Calgary Comic Expo next week!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 things:

1) your skirt seems to hike up quite dramatically on the sides.

it's a LOT shorter on the sides of your body, than it is at the front and rear.

the skirt-hem should be roughly "horizontal" , all the way around your body.

and

2) your tabbards have the classic "simplicity" shape Wink

copy/ pasted from another thread... (and another.. and another.. LOL)
((this issue comes up , about twice a week) Razz LOL

Quote:
..... if I could hazard a guess, this looks like the Simplicity pattern?
the tabbards are much wider at the shoulder, than they are at the bottom hem..
and they have a "curved" shape across the body.

the pattern looks like this:

^^ the Simplicity pattern is a great place to start, for making the Tunic.. but these "curved" tabbards aren't accepted by the judges.
it's better to just make long 'rectangles'. (with an 'angle' hidden under the belt)

Quote:

the judges have been speaking up lately against tabbards, which are cut from the simplicity pattern shown here.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/lakrog/Jedi%20Costume%20Tutorial%20OWK/TabardImage2.jpg

^^ this pattern results in tabbards that are wider at the shoulder than they are at the bottom hem;
with a distinctive "curved" shape, to create an angle between the upper and lower halves (above and below the obi).

^^ tabbards from this pattern are quite often rejected by the judges. Sad

your tabbard should just be a single long rectangle,
of the same width all the way down, from your shoulder to the bottom hem.

if you wish to see an 'angle' between the upper and lower sections (above and below the obi),
then you should install an actual angle like a hockey stick, to be hidden under the obi.

like this:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75075
Leroni has a good tutorial on how to make tabbards 'the easy way'.

^^ THIS is what the judges are looking for:
- equal-width-tabbards, all the way down -- (same width @ shoulder as @ bottom hem;
- no "curved" shape to the body -- (any 'angle' you choose to employ, is completely hidden under the obi; it is not a 'subtle curve' across your whole body);
- tabbards should form a "Y" shape -- (not an "H"Wink) -- meaning: they should meet at the obi, and hang straight vertical below the obi

http://imageshack.com/a/img853/3584/akjs.jpg

hope this helps. cheers.

hope this helps. cheers.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice!
Ayeso ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! You are correct its simplicity pattern. The tabards I plan to get redone as they arent the right material anyway.

Im not sure on the sides of the skirt. It may have been because I was holding everything up in the back and hiking it up as I was doing so.

This is mostly to get semi close approximation and modify bits as needed. All this work was done in about 3 weeks to be ready for the calgary expo.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a great start and certainly a lot better than my first costume. Laughing Just keep upgrading and then you can always go for legion approval when you have all the right colors and materials done and until then use it for fun. Smile

So far you are doing great. (But yeah, Simplicity tabards... If I could kill a pattern...)

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Ayeso ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the costume pieces today. The sides of the skirt are normal! I was a little worried at first haha.

Im going to finish dying the OT this weekend. Im also going to repaint the pouches and belt as they are much too light.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah looking back at your other photo, I think the front of the tunic just wasn't closed up all the way,
causing the corners of the OT to droop down in the front. this looks much better.
and I really like the fabric for your OT.

and yeah. those "foam" pouches are sort of reluctantly accepted for 'generic jedi',
but they're never accepted for face characters. not without modifications.
(if you can find a paint to stick, they would definitely need a paint job).
--> a better option would be woodman's pouches. @$25ea, these are a steal.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74250

not sure if you've got food capsules or not, but these ones are 'screen accurate' -- based on the correct steadler pen caps.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jedi-Food-Energy-Capsules-Pellets-set-of-8-star-wars-accessories-props-/141754721318
(I've got like, four sets of these. LOL)

and while we're at it, if you feel you want to replace that vinyl belt with a 'real one,
I can vouch for this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Prop-Anakin-Jedi-Belt-Leather-Pouch-/132082683712
it's actually 'more' accurate than the museum replicas belt. (I own both to compare).
^^ this was the better buy. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! The fabric for OT and Robe were what I tried to ensure was really good for a start. I also need to dye the OT darker.

I actually plan to get pouches made locally OR I may try and make them myself. I have a lot of patience and access to good equipment and can lasercut the patterns,etch them etc..

The pouches came with the belt and capsules, the capsules look real good and I paid so little for the whole bundle I just wanted to have a good starting point for my costume that I can wear to Calgary Expo. I will definitely take a look at those woodmans ones!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know which bundle you bought Wink I bought one too, early on.. that was my first belt.
(the button studs on that belt are about $3ea. at the tandy store,
and the buckle is probably another $10,if bought separately..
..so it was definitely worth the money, if just for the chrome bits alone LOL).
now if you ever want to make your own belt you've got all the hardware for it.

I've seen anakin;s tunic up close -- it's not nearly as dark in person as it appears on the screen..
these are some photos that I took.
http://imageshack.com/a/img23/3618/bjni.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img534/4628/rlqy.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img27/5187/uxr2.jpg
it was displayed under some weird lighting,
(standing in front of the speeder bike on tattooine, c/w simulated "sunlight"),
but if you use the rubber grips on the lightsaber as a reference for 'black',
then you can get an idea of how 'dark' the colors are with respect to each other.

bear this in mind as you're dying the tunic, as you don't want to go too too dark,
(you need to stay 'lighter' than the leather -- you actually might want to finalize your tabbard choice first before you settle on a final tunic color).

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ayeso ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... it does only look slightly darker than my current color.

I was aiming to have the shade of brown similar to the robe. That seems to be fairly close whereas mine is quite a big difference currently.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , now that you mention it, your robe is pretty dark.. so I guess you'll still want to go a bit darker with the OT.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great start to this costume!

A few observations though. Your cloth tabards need to be the same length as the skirt portion of the Outer Tunic. In the back these cloth tabards only come to the waist. The Leather Tabards extend below the skirt of the Outer tunic in the front and the back. I suggest this for a source for quality leather if you are making your own:

http://www.waterhouseleather.com/plonge_garment_leather_hides.htm

You want this in Brown. They also have Lambskin (which is likely what they used for the screen used costume) but it's expensive and you have to buy 3-4 to make your Tabards which can get pricey. If you go with the Plonge leather you can make a full set of Tabards with the one hide and it will look almost identical.

For the cloak, there are no shoulder seams. Each panel of the cloak is folded over onto itself with the sleeve included and then cut so that there is only an underarm seam. There are also shoulder tucks present.

The cut of your Tunic is spot on and I love your fabric choices for the Outer Tunic and Cloak. I look forward to seeing your finished costume and I hope this post was helpful to you.

Psab
Ayeso ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link for leather! Im not sure if they ship to Canada, luckily in Alberta we have a large amount of leather places.

I was worried about the shoulders of the robe. At this point I probably wont remake the robe as that was probably the most expensive part, I realized after she had made it that she didnt put the shoulder tucks in etc.

The tabards are going to be completely redone both the cloth and the leather ones.
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked with them and they do ship to Canada. Luckily the Plonge comes in a smaller box so I imagine that it wouldn't cost too much to ship. I was shocked when I purchased mine how small the package was. Lol. If you go with a different supplier for the Leather make sure you go with Plonge (a lightweight cowhide) or a 1.5 - 2 oz. weight garment Leather. With the double layers it will make it easier to sew and also that appears to be the weight they used on the real costume.
Ayeso ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some dyeing today. For anyone interested, here are some ratio tests of ProcionMX dye. They look darker in person so I went with the 2:1 ratio of chocolate to black.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: