Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=14ba061c2ff5c0575cdd0127b7a765c2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Store bought apparel...none!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marq76 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Store bought apparel...none! Reply with quote

Think just think about this:
I bet that every one here in RL would like to see the day when regular stores would offer SW related clothing,it´s been 40 freaking years and not a single designer or retailer with some name has done so.I´d love to see Han Solo accurate shirts,vests and jackets the lot on the racks.Or ESB Bespin Luke outfit or his Jedi-shirt,you know the black one.And Ladies,how many of you Leias out there would wear the New Hope dress or...
Disney/George would make a serious buck in this field too.Whole new field.
What do you think,have an oppinion or am I alone with this one?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy finished costumes or parts, they are just rarely accurate. Basically what I refer to as Halloween costumes, because most people won't pay for quality and accuracy.

But that's what makes our hobby fun; we get to go into details and really show off our skills at costume making whether it be sewing, painting, prop making or something else. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Naglium (Gordon Gravelese)
Legion Merchandise Officer

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, its just cost-prohibitive. The market for screen-accurate costume pieces is so small, it wouldn't justify the manufacturers investing time and money to get them into stores around the world.

Stuff I have for sale: http://rc5306.yolasite.com/

Merchandise Approval Request Form: http://rlmerch.yolasite.com/request.php
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cosplay or Legion quality costumes Anovos will probably be the only licensed company to ever do it. There have been a half dozen or so costume or prop replica licensees over the last 20 years and Anovos seems to be the one and only company that is succeeding at it, and even they have tons of problems with delays.

For the off the rack costumes at low prices, Rubies is in that business, but the quality is not there for serious cosplay or Legion type stuff.

As others have noted, the market just isn't there. Lots of people are interested in quality costumes; ask any Legion member. We run into dozens of people at every event who want costumes. However, they are not willing and/or able to pay what it costs. Most people want a ready to wear quality costume in the price range of your average prom dress or tuxedo, if that. Since it is not really possible to offer a product like that, the market remains small.

The basic problem is that all of the stuff you see on screen (or at the convention hall) is hand made by highly skilled artists, and the techniques they use do not scale up.

What Anovos does when they develop a new product is analogous to translating a novel into another language. They aren't creating hundreds of replicas of movie costumes, they are creating a version of that costume that can be mass produced. They have to substitute materials and techniques in order to make the product commercially viable.

This is why they only do cloth and armor costumes, typically with minimal weathering and finishing work required. Asia is filled with garment and plastics manufacturers offering low-cost labor to produce these sorts of things at a price that is still competitive.
Once you start adding anything more complex than that, like the weathering on Boba Fett or something as complex as Chewbacca or See-Threepio, you need expensive, high-skill labor using time-consuming techniques.

You can also see that they are limiting themselves to popular costumes. It's just the uniforms of pilots, troopers, officers, etc. When they venture into face characters its just the most popular costumes of the main characters.

Given the history of both licensed and unlicensed prop and costume replica companies, I amazed that Anovos has done so well. Of course, when you realize that the company was founded by 501st members who sold armor for years before going legit, and many major costume makers are involved with the company on some level, you realize their success is due to extensive experience.
Draeden Wren (Donald Wicks)
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anovos is starting to put together some decent looking stuff (soft goods). It's something

RL: KJO, UCGR, RLSC, RAID and the Kilted Rebel Regiment!
EB: Skywalker Temple - Jeerota Tana - Corsair Squadron - Endor Base Regulators
Union Leader: Tibana Miners Union Local 1980

Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, and another vendor with amazing quality is Magnoli Clothiers...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Naglium (Gordon Gravelese)

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give Anovos any of your money. There have been more problems than good. Plus their wait times are horrendous. I waited over 18 months for my TK (kit). and there were still issues with it.

Stuff I have for sale: http://rc5306.yolasite.com/

Merchandise Approval Request Form: http://rlmerch.yolasite.com/request.php
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charybdis wrote:
yeah, and another vendor with amazing quality is Magnoli Clothiers...

This. It's all custom measurements, too.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnoli is awesome, but it's not the "regular stores" the OP was longing for. They're just very good custom tailors who have an interest in accuracy, and have created an niche for themselves, for the customers who are able to afford their prices. Fantastic stuff, but I would hope it would be, considering you're paying a custom tailor to custom make clothing for you, and a premium on top of that because they've invested the time and effort into creating (mostly) accurate patterns for this stuff.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naglium wrote:
I wouldn't give Anovos any of your money. There have been more problems than good. Plus their wait times are horrendous. I waited over 18 months for my TK (kit). and there were still issues with it.

I second this. My husband was told when he ordered a costume in April 2015, it would ship before end of the year. He just got it maybe two months ago.

Alpha 75 - "No Instructions? No problem!"
FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
Rebel Legion - Galactic Senate, RLSC
Marq76 ()

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,the point is that there isn´t ANY even remotely similar pieces of clothing made for regular storeshelves for as long as there has been fandom for "Galaxy,far,far away" associated with LucasFilm or not.If there is, alterations must be done.As long as there are the fans that make stuff for the fans it´s allright,no denying,but one has to be careful about variety of things and some in cases, some serious dough in the pocket like Anovos.All in all,this was just my view...
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musterbrand doesn't have exact replica Star Wars clothing, but they have some that is very inspired. Their Luke Bespin jacket looks very nice. And you can find it at either Box Lunch or Thinkgeek stores. They also have a Cassian jacket, but I want one for a costume, and it's not RL approvable.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "off the rack" items I have seen were from Museum Replicas for building an Episode I Palpatine Celebration costume.

As for Anovos, I wouldn't give them the time of day, let alone any of my money. One of my friends just canceled an order for a suit of black scout armor he placed over two years ago and another friend received a BSG jacket that they claimed was "European cut" but was in truth 2 sizes too small regardless of the labeling (it said it was XL, but it fit my wife's medium size perfectly).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> General Discussion -> Rebel Rumblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: