Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1922660fd5c8d87b17eadf2c29cf09bfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey) and Saberbelt.com's Obi ANH Belt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lgtsbr ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey) and Saberbelt.com's Obi ANH Belt Reply with quote

Greetings all

This has been a long time coming, so please bear with me. Over the past almost 2 years I have had the honor and privilege to work with my friend Paul Moomey on what we believe to be the definitive Obi Wan ANH Belt. Paul has spent countless hours researching every single detail on this belt and I personally think he has nailed it.

I want to take a minute and give everyone a crash course on just what Paul put into his research. Here are the six (6) threads worth of info that proved to be invaluable to making this project happen:

ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 1
ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 2
ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 3
ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 4
ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 5
ANH Ben Kenobi belt pictures Part 6

This belt is not for the feint of heart, there is a TON of detail that needs to be addressed. The Front Greeblie, the Pouch Shape, the Pouch Placement, The Pouch Greeblie, the Back Greeblie Placement, the D-Ring, the Saber Hook, and the final sizing all have to fall just right or this belt just doesn't work. This is by far the most customized belt I have ever worked on and I believe it is one of the most custom fit pieces in the Original Trilogy.

Before the pictures I just want to take a minute and say 'Thank You' to Paul for allowing me to accompany him on this journey. I am truly honored my friend.

Now, the Pictures:

These pictures show the Final Prototype on Paul's Obi Costume. I am working on the production model now and will show off some pictures as Celebration gets closer. Some minor differences will be the buckle (for now), the rivets, and the coloring. Paul's belt is truly unique as I will not have his exact buckle, I will not use the weathered rivets, and I will not do the weathered coloring; all of those will be different on my production model. I expect these to be for sale right after Celebration.

For anyone attending Celebration, you can find Old Ben on Friday and Saturday to see how this truly looks in person.

Enjoy

Dave
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dave - it was a pleasure working with you on the design of this belt. I'm really proud of what we have come up with - from the redesign of the pouch (including the new greeblie on the flap), to the extra holes in the belt, and yes even the controversial extra piece of leather under the front greeblie.

I must also give credit to my crazy old wizard brother Ste-Waz Sandoli over in France. Without his help along with his friends I wouldn't have the solid brass buckle to go along with the belt. I gave them the dimensions I wanted and they came through with flying colors. Thank you my friends. I have to admit I did play around with the weathering of the buckle and didn't realize just how difficult it is to control the corrosion of brass. LOL

I hope to meet all those that are fortunate to be able to attend Celebration in a couple of weeks. The belt with the rest of the costume will be in the Cosplay Costume Contest on Friday at 3:00 PM. Please come out and support old Ben.

Paul Ben
Ste-Waz Sandoli (Stephane VOISEY)
French Base CO
French Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Paul to remind, and give this credit.

I just follow Your & Dave's topics to build my belt.

I recognize also the way to shape the banana pouch Wink
Mine is not at the right size, because I built it from scrtach but the building is the same. My belt buckle is also a little wider than this one.

To make it look better, I am going to order a Saber Hook better than the one I shape in aluminium.

Another hard thing I've got to manage now is "no weight gain" to keep it fall right Very Happy

So thank You my overseas friends to let me be a little part of it.

Ben Ste-Waz
Ben Member of KJO - 2013-2014 Six Towers Jedi Temple Master ; Pilot Member of the RLSC - #7 in the Corellian Griffons Squadron ; Tuskin Member of the Wretched Hive ; rft Member of the RAID
rebelbird French Base Commanding Officer (since 2014)
saber 2
aka Baron Waz - TI-16707 in the 501st
Dusty ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old Thread, I read through most of the posts you have all done. All I can say is I have mad respect for both of you for all the hard work, I was hoping you guys could help me make the my old ben belt better.

Do you have the measurements for where everything should be, do you have a template I can work from. Any information would help.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dusty

I can offer a little help, sure.

The first thing you have to realize is that this rig is custom, completely custom. Everything has to be placed based on your body measurements IN COSTUME.

The Pouch should be centered on your right hip, the back greeblies left edge should be at the center of your back, the D-Ring should be centered on your left him, and the Saberhook should fall about at the front left hip bone.

My solid advice to you is to look at everything as quadrant points. Have 2-3 people measure you while you are in full costume. Start at the front center of your body and get the measurements you need to make everything fall right.

This belt is challenging for sure

Hope it helps

Dave
Psab Keel ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Dave's assessment about the placement of the pieces on the belt. The belt he crafted with Paul is definitely one of the best I've seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: