Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=71e9654d100d082da0bc288b32764403Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme's Fireside Gown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliste ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Padme's Fireside Gown Reply with quote

Hi folks,

So I'm looking at putting this together. I've ordered my leather for corset and gloves and am excited as this will be my first RL costume.

Question on the skirt lace.

I found this in my local shop for a shockingly not-too-terrible price, and am just wondering if it would be clearable.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN62eIHhNTiREB8hafdk1i-s26rB-WGU7ii-okT

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipNt8Ts6KwtEShBe9cCd573gnWx-bBA4aTRcyKbF
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your links aren't working. You might not have the permissions set right.

But, as a general rule, no flowers, or at least they need to be really abstract flowers. If you can get us better links, we can tell you for sure whether or not it will work. Smile I look forward to seeing your progress!

In planning and progress:
Infinities Jedi Leia, Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider

Galactic Senate DCO
Royalty/Senatorial & Jyn Erso Costume Judge
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eliste ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr. Thanks for letting me know. I'll go have a look or try something else out.
eliste ()

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found different, better lace in the end. Not perfect, but definitely not floral.

Question on the length of the corset. I'm a rather busty girl, and I'd like to make it a tad more kid-friendly by raising the top of the corset up a bit - more like the concept art than what she ended up wearing. Would that be acceptable?

Also, on the choker, the CRL says velvet cord and beads hanging down in front. Does there need to be velvet cord for it to be passable, or if it is solely made of beads is that ok?

Also, on the shoes, I know it says low heels or flats, but what qualifies as low heels? 1 inch? 2? I wouldn't go higher than that, but I do like to have a bit of heel in my costumes. Just don't want to hem it the wrong length for heels and have to do it all over again.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you found a non-floral lace. That seems to be one of the toughest parts of the costume.

As a judge, my feeling is that a costume should fit the wearer proportionally. Natalie Portman is a pretty flat women and many costumers are not. I feel that a slight lengthening of the corset slightly to cover more ample chests is not a problem, as long as the overall shape of the corset is the same on the top and bottom, and it is boned. It helps keep the costume family-friendly for costumers with bigger chests. Since judging is a team effort, it would be good to get at least one more opinion of another judge on this one.

As to the velvet cording, yes that is a required element of the necklace. Are you having difficulty finding a source?

Galactic Senate DCO
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jenna said. It should be proportional to you, but of course, retain it's shape. We can't all look like Natalie Portman. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
eliste ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:

As to the velvet cording, yes that is a required element of the necklace. Are you having difficulty finding a source?

I hadn't realized it was there when I was sourcing materials. I will look online today. How wide does it need to be?

And yes, that lace is ridiculously difficult to find at a price that doesn't break the bank.

Any thoughts on heel height?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/4" to 1/2" would be an acceptable width for the velvet cording, I think. When I have done searches for the stuff in the past, I recall it came up as "tubing" rather than "cording" because it's velvet around little plastic or foam tubes, more often than not.

In other costumes where we say "Low heels" we often specify 2" or less, so that is probably a good benchmark to go by.

Galactic Senate DCO
eliste ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
1/4" to 1/2" would be an acceptable width for the velvet cording, I think. When I have done searches for the stuff in the past, I recall it came up as "tubing" rather than "cording" because it's velvet around little plastic or foam tubes, more often than not.

Thanks for this, btw. You were absolutely right to look for tubing rather than cording.
eliste ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally found some fabric that I'm mostly happy with. Thought I'd get ya'lls opinion on it before I go cutting into it though.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit on the fence about that. Usually when we look for "geometric" we're looking for lines and angles. This is the first time anyone's tried circles, and I guess circles are a form of geometry.

What are some other opinions on this?

Galactic Senate DCO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: