Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=57ef7e3c3afc932cb1ab8ef8092e26c9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Looking for wookie info please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedifry (Glenn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Looking for wookie info please Reply with quote

So I want to do just a basic wookie for my first one and I was just wondering what it usually costs. Are there certain colors that you can't use for a wookie? Is there a setup for the wookie sounds? I am 6ft tall so will I need the bucket stilts? I'm still very new to the idea of a wookie costume so any information is appreciated thank you
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give you some input based off my experience.

If you use the colors on the CRL, you will see what is allowed but the one color to steer away from is white since the only white wookiee is an albino and there are no references to white being used as a secondary color. Vast majority are brown but it really is kinda up to you based off the colors available. I went grey and black, which I think I am the only one (and just submitted for approval) but I will also be considered an Elder wookiee. That is fine with me. I joke about being grandpa haha. Took about 2 1/2 months for me to get my colors and pattern approved because I was trying to make something work that was symmetric and able to be approved but I would be proud of as well. I did not want brown and wanted grey scale was my only real starting point but one I was pretty passionate about since I love greyscale, especially in nature. So basically I would suggest start with colors you want....pick a primary and then add secondary or two and talk to the judges here. Let them know what you are thinking and go from there with the pattern. Look at images on the internet and others build threads for ideas. Once you know the colors and they are approved rest is easy.

Sound.... people use the sound glove mostly and you will see many threads about it.

Stilt question. I will have to leave to somebody taller than me. I am 5'8 so I have the buckets.

Hope that helps. I know it may not be much, but color approval is a very important fist step for generics.
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started my generic wookiee but I have done tons of reading on this forum. That is the first place to start

Scouser is right about getting color and pattern approval before you start that is very important. I wanted to do colors and pattern based on my cat named "Chewie" and I showed the colors and basic pattern I wanted and told it was good to go.

As far as stilts there are several threads on building up shoes with insulation foam which might work for you as you don't need 18" like the shorter people do, myself included.

Cost...I am doing a budget build so I have made my own stilts and toes. I have bought all of the hair, the mesh suit, the PJ pattern used to make the suit and the sound part...so far I have spent about $560.00 (CAD). I am looking at making the mask myself but if I don't then it is about $500 more to purchase the mask. My TK cost more than this so it's not too bad. More work than money.

Hope that helps a little.
Jedifry (Glenn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I need to get my colors approved first? Do I have to get samples first to Get the colors approved or just say the colors I want to do? So I assume that you have to sew the hair on in layers and if that's the case what's the distance between the layers. If there is a forum that has this information let me know and I'll stop bothering you guys lol
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Glenn,
When you talk to Jamie or Matt about the colors, you don't need samples...but basically if you have a color in mind you can talk generic color at first and then go to an online source that has hair color charts. You should find some online vendors in the resources. I personally use Sam's Beauty Supply because my hair was a ton cheaper there....but it depends on what you are looking for. You can then narrow the colors down even more.... so like for me, I would state I wanted a grey mix. I had M44 as one of my colors. It was a tri-color mix. That is another thing you can do it try to find hair that has multi-colors mixed already so you don't have to worry about depth as much. My hair has depth naturally, but if you pic a solid color you may have to mix a little of another color in it to get the look of depth.

Once you have the hair you will latch hook it on a mesh suit. You can buy the mesh at local fabric store and sew it with a pattern for most part. I used a pajama pattern and flared out the legs like bell bottoms of sorts so they fit around my stilts. For most part, you can count on a every other hole, every other row pattern when latch hooking.

All the information you need should be found in this forum. If you can't find it, feel free to ask. I will try to help if I can. I had a hard time finding everything when I started too. Everybody here has been very helpful in my build, between reading and asking a ton of questions.
Jedifry (Glenn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I am say 6' 2" what would I need to get to the right hight level? Is there a minimum requirement? Can I make it so the stilt is like the foot with hair and make it so my suit lines up with it but is separate? I have so many questions lol
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimum is 7' and you won't need too much height since the mask will add 3-4". And, yes, your stilt/foot is normally a separate build. There are a few build threads on the first page that use a raised show instead of stilts. The shoe should be flush when you wear the pants, so you will need to make sure you smooth out what is commonly called the stilt bump which is when you can see the toe of your shoe poking out on the pants. A shield of some sort can help get rid of that though.
Jedifry (Glenn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the added hight from the mask I would sit around 6'5" to 6'6" so would I really need stilts at all if the max is 7?
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could most likely get away with either platform shoes you make or if there is enough height, the KISS boots. I don't know max height on KISS boots.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! Check out the Wookiee Basics thread at the top of this forum for some initial info that may help you. I'd go with the Bucket stilts or you'll end up with oversized foot issues. Good news on the buckets though is that they can be cut down Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: