Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90a4347b8884e54d28cfbce5667b137fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New standard - Jyn Erso - DISCUSSION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erinn ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Measurements Reply with quote

Hello! Apologies if this is out of line, but I'm working on this costume now and hope to be RL approved.

Is there anything we can do about this?

Vest front is topstitched with horizontal stitches approximately 3/8” to 1/2” (95 mm - 125 mm)

I know it says "approximately," but perhaps there's a way to make it more suggested. I know for my own vest, I have to modify everything smaller since I'm 5'0 and 98 lbs, and since the vest already has to be fitted to armholes, it just doesn't work.

(I recognize this veers very close to "personal problems," but if I'm experiencing this, I'm sure someone else out there will at some point!)

Smile
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Measurements Reply with quote

Erinn wrote:
Hello! Apologies if this is out of line, but I'm working on this costume now and hope to be RL approved.

Vest front is topstitched with horizontal stitches approximately 3/8” to 1/2” (95 mm - 125 mm)

I know it says "approximately," but perhaps there's a way to make it more suggested. I know for my own vest, I have to modify everything smaller since I'm 5'0 and 98 lbs, and since the vest already has to be fitted to armholes, it just doesn't work.

(I recognize this veers very close to "personal problems," but if I'm experiencing this, I'm sure someone else out there will at some point!)

Smile

The standard will remain as is but don't worry as judges we are not asking you to take rulers to things to show us exact measurements. We have the measurement in there to make sure people know what it should be close to when making the vest. As long as the horizontal stitching is present and looks good proportionally to the rest of the vest then it should be fine. Even with your vest being smaller I wouldn't think the space between the horizontal stitching to be much less than 3/8th.
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Glove snaps Reply with quote

I noticed something about the gloves that doesn't seem to be included in the proposed updated standard:

"5. Gloves

a. Brown finger-less gloves similar to the Black Diamond 'Stone' gloves, with the strap altered to remove the logo and replace the Velcro with a snap. Gloves have been weathered darker than the original tan."

The snaps seems to be covered by leather on the glove straps, meaning there are two layers of leather; the bottom layer is where the snap is attached, and then this layer is overlain with another thin layer of leather. The snaps do not seem to be clearly visible, but the top layer of leather is pressed around the snap to show its round shape.

This may be nitpicking at this point as you are planning to vote soon, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Is this a necessary change?
ladysolo14 ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The updated standard as seen in the first post is now up for approval voting in the Docking Bay 94 forum. All DB94 members may cast their vote at this time. The poll will be open for 5 days.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=928260#928260
Jabari ()

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
eliste, I believe the concern is that a 3D printed tonfa still looks like a tonfa (and may even be legally considered a tonfa), so you probably shouldn't even carry that if your home location requires permits.

As far as I can tell, Wisconsin law seems to require concealed carry permits for all clubs/extendable batons (wording is a little vague). Also, just based on what the pictures of the real batons look like, painting up a 3-D one for Jyn will look scarier - it appears big and metal and knobby, and a lot of the real ones almost look rubber coated and they're thinner. So you should definitely check.

SongofAmazon wrote:
AgnesAUT, the standards are just regulating the collar piece itself, rather than the yoke line across the back. We do not yet have clear shots of the back of the shirt without the vest to confirm whether it is there or not, so shirts with and without the line/yoke in the back of the shirt would be accepted.

If I remember correctly, you can see the back seam line best when she's in Wobani Prison. There might also be a "behind the scenes" shot in one of the features.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Measurements Reply with quote

Erinn wrote:

Smile

Erinn; I'm 5'0" and 95lbs. I figured out the 3/8" measurement based on my pattern using the number of rows in Jyn's vest, and 3/8" looks perfect and symmetrical! If you have any specific concerns, please post pictures of where you are having problems and I can share some measurements from off of my vest.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ladysolo14 wrote:
The updated standard as seen in the first post is now up for approval voting in the Docking Bay 94 forum. All DB94 members may cast their vote at this time. The poll will be open for 5 days.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=928260#928260

That's only if you already have a Fringe costume and are a member, right?

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, the standards got approved?!
Well, of 5 voters (100%) Razz

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive (Jawa) & Docking Bay 94 Fringe (Jyn Erso) //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AgnesAUT wrote:
I guess, the standards got approved?!
Well, of 5 voters (100%) Razz

LOL
I wasn't sure who was allowed to vote on this so I didn't even attempt it. They look good to me though.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Updates? Reply with quote

Hi all -

Any news on whether the Jyn standard updates will be uploaded to http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jyn-erso/ ? Or should we be going by the original standard on the page still?
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware that it is too late for the voting, but I have a question over the wording of the description of the tonfa...

Unfortunately in the UK to even own something that could be described as a tonfa would require a licence. Therefore having a costume prop that extends (as per the description in the standard) would be a big no-no. As the tonfa is rarely seen extended, would it not be more suitable to have the wording for something that is only looks like the collapsed version, but does not extend?

Sorry I know that it is getting picky, but I'm at the stage in getting my costume close to being completed. As much as I am aiming for screen accurate, I would choose to merely be able to have a 3D printed version (which I believe was previously referenced by another lady but the question wasn't answered) which would have the correct appearance but not require a licence.

Sorry to be a pain...
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates? Reply with quote

Restill wrote:
Hi all -

Any news on whether the Jyn standard updates will be uploaded to http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jyn-erso/ ? Or should we be going by the original standard on the page still?

I would go off of what is listed here in the discussion and the most recent updates. It sometimes take awhile to get the revisions added to the RL standards page. I had that issue with Slave Leia standards not being updated on one page and not matching a different page.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: