Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=165f06462a5ba303bb702465939a7e1eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

i've started my jyn -WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnquietDaisy ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: i've started my jyn -WIP Reply with quote

Hello everyone. Today i officially started my first from scratch costume. Smile I've chosen a Scarif Jyn. I'd really like to use this to join the RL.

Today I'm working on the pants. I got a very nice stretch cotton on sale at JoAnns (so that was nice.) [full disclosure: it is a ribstitch knit. But the rl jyn standards didnt mention a specific design of cloth Sad]

I seamed ripped an old pair that fit me well and used it as my pattern. Now i have to tailor the pants and add the waistband and detailing.
[img]http://imgur.com/a/w2Ycs[/img] here they are inside out.

I have a question if anyone knows the answer: are all the various topstitching on jyn required or optional. The rpf mentions a lot of top stitching to be screen accurate, but i dont see top stitching in the rl requirements list.
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the vest, top stitching is a requirement, see here (on the first page, not the list in the box but below):
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81534

These are the standards I personally stick to since they were voted on in the detachment and are a revision of the older and not so detailed standards on the RL-Homepage.

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive (Jawa) & Docking Bay 94 Fringe (Jyn Erso) //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: i've started my jyn -WIP Reply with quote

As AgnesAUT mentioned please follow the standards she linked to. Those are the standards us judges are using. Also it's very important to understand that standards are only guidelines and your costume will be judged on other factors as well such as fit. We don't mention fit in the standards but if the costume is two sizes too big for you, we will ask that the garments be tailored to fit you. Use your best judgement to make your costume look as close as possible to the screen references and you will be ok.

UnquietDaisy wrote:

Today I'm working on the pants. I got a very nice stretch cotton on sale at JoAnns (so that was nice.) [full disclosure: it is a ribstitch knit. But the rl jyn standards didnt mention a specific design of cloth Sad]

If you are ever uncertain if something will be approvable post pictures so you can get feedback from other members. I'm slightly concerned about the fabric you selected for the pants since you mentioned it being a ribstitch knit. If it has a really noticible texture it might not work. A lot of people have been using stretch denim.

UnquietDaisy wrote:

I have a question if anyone knows the answer: are all the various topstitching on jyn required or optional. The rpf mentions a lot of top stitching to be screen accurate, but i dont see top stitching in the rl requirements list.

For Jyn's vest almost all the top stitching is required. For the pants you really only need to top stitch if you want to properly refine the garment bu it'st not required for approval.
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo was posted in the RPF Jyn Erso forum and I kept it for things like this. It's a board showing the fabrics used for certain parts of one of the displayed costumes.

For the pants the board says "stretch cotton". I personally used stretch cotton twill and I like how it wears in the more you use them. I like the look of stretch denims people have been using too.
UnquietDaisy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what fabric seller do you use?

I hadnt considered twill.

The ribknit texture is noticeable at 14inches away. Beyond that the fabric looks like a very dark grey or faded black. I'll try to get a better image up but the ribknit doesnt show well on photo and my camera is not so good.

Even if this is the wrong fabric I'm learning so much doing this. Today i tailored the pants. Someone in another jyn wip board said she used masking tape to mark cuts and seam allowances. I used paintertape to make my stitch lines straight and its a 100 percent difference.

Now i gottawork on the waistband.

Last edited by UnquietDaisy () on Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the twill I just used fabric.com, but Organic Cotton is a great website too! I suggest ordering swatches.
UnquietDaisy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think one of these would work?

http://www.joann.com/twill-spandex-knit-solid-fabric-57in-black/15304850.html#q=Black%2Btwill&start=10

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-denim-11oz-black-stretch/1617703.html#q=Black%2Bstretch%2Bdenim&start=1

I'm going to finish the pants with my current fabric. Even if they get denied I can seam rip and have the exact pattern i need to redo it.
Restill (Jessica)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnquietDaisy wrote:
Do you think one of these would work?

http://www.joann.com/twill-spandex-knit-solid-fabric-57in-black/15304850.html#q=Black%2Btwill&start=10

http://www.joann.com/sew-classic-denim-11oz-black-stretch/1617703.html#q=Black%2Bstretch%2Bdenim&start=1

I'm going to finish the pants with my current fabric. Even if they get denied I can seam rip and have the exact pattern i need to redo it.

The stretch denim would be great! Spandex is a totally different weight and type of fabric than cotton and would not wear the same way. I would avoid it.
UnquietDaisy ()

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy may the fourth...
UnquietDaisy ()

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black stretch denim has white under threads (warp? weft? Idk). Would i need to dye the denim black or are the white threads allowable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: