Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=581c624188d4942e62ead418cbc09afdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso WIP Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first Star Wars build and, ambitiously, the one I've been making in the hopes to get in with.

I saw discussions before the new standards were approved that the horizontal stitching on the vest was a four by four of ivory and yellow, which is what I went with though the colors ending up perhaps too similar in tint and is only really noticeable up close.

::Edit:: I made a sub-album and practically all my links broke, sorry!

Last edited by instarlight (Anya) on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shooting for being accepted before May the Fourth then wearing this a costume model for an art event day of. My gloves are in the mail.

Here are the pants. I went with stretch denim for the added challenge of never having worked with it before. I added what I hope is enough weathering with a few different grits of sand paper then yanking out individual fibers.

I just noticed that the waist band isn't laying correctly on the top but both sides do lay flush with each other. I used snap closures and I think I should upgrade to the metal tabbed option.

Belt and holster rig is from Cosmic Workshop.

All of my limited height, I'm 5'3", is in my legs but the combination of the high hem on the pants and high waistband succeed in making me look even smaller. I scaled the waistband down a little to suit my proportions.

I have suede pieces to add on for the accents on the belting belting but I feel the color contrast is very stark to the black. Should I dirty the suede then put it on? I attempted to paint them, hence the smudge, but all I really did was make a mess.

I got to see Sunrider Base at Wondercon and asked about the classic Doc Martins as a base for the shoe, as an alternative to the FRYE boots, being acceptable but they did not know specifically. Is this alright so should I look for a boot with a thinner sole?
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the shoes unfortunately, but I REALLY like the weathering of your vest!

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive (Jawa) & Docking Bay 94 Fringe (Jyn Erso) //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Agnes!

I finished all the major construction on the jacket that Jyn "borrows".

I used some of the recommended fabric and color from the RPF thread on Jyn. I ended up doing puffy paint then hand embroidered the 'bloodlines' in the end, I had a few bars that dried funny with an odd bubbly texture and that was not going to fly after all the hard work on the felled seams. Afterwards I put on a wash of a khaki acrylic paint to darken the color then add some staining to it.

I still need to fix a few things:
    install other zipper side since i just forgot entirely -- oops.
    collar re-install since it was too long
    decorative stitching on the collar
    decorative stitch on the left side to get to lay flat
    tab closure

front without vest

I have not patterned or mocked up the I.D. holder, I don't have the greeblie but it looks very much like the same on that is on the Eadu concho?

I had a "happy little accident" with draping when I was hanging on the mannequin and realized a easy way to add in the detailing on the back like Cassian's. Originally I opted out because I could not figure it out before my event. This made the fit much better with the vest on top and I'm really happy with it overall.

Last edited by instarlight (Anya) on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking amazing so far! Great job!

I believe you can use any combat boot as long as it matches what is requested in the standards. I bought the Frye Veronica's but in brown/black and ended up adding several coats of Fiebing's brown leather dye to make them match Jyn's. Since it was also the dye I used for my gloves, it worked well color match wise.

Someone else used a pair of Lucky Brand Novembere boots and it worked really well. They are the wrong color but can easily be fixed with the leather dye.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-you!

I went with the Lucky Brand Novembere boots as well.

Since last post I have:

coat

tea dyed and weathered the coat
    installed the zipper & added the skirt tab
    finished all the decorative stitching on the coat itself

flak vest
    shortened the length of my pseudo Alice patches
    installed interior greeblies on the right and left sides
    harvested all the smaller sliders from my backpack and used them on the tubing of the sliders
    weathered "card reader"

other work
    made and weathered the scarf

Last edited by instarlight (Anya) on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated above post to include images.

----

Costume updates!

Received my boots;
stripped the seal off
dyed chocolate brown with Angelus Leather Dye
weathered boots
assembled flaps
painted and weathered screen accurate buckles
forged out metal bails

Received kyber crystal from Soulinertia
built necklace for crystal with copper wire + dark brown leather cording

Submitted and waiting to hear back.
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darker vest and shirt for re-submit.

[/img]
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full costume on white wall....and standing on the coffee table. >.>

accepted 6/21/17

Awing
instarlight (Anya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating my Jyn build to add in the items for Eadu.

Hat as of last night, without Buckram.

I hand drafted the pattern for the hat, I believe it was ID as a military hat but I opted to make mine to get it as close as I possibly could and improve my drafting skills. Luckily since then, Disney has put their hats on display inside Launch Bay so I was able to see it myself. At any rate, this turned out to be a long endeavor.

For the top, I quilted it this time around instead of pleating. It looks nicer now, I think. And more uniform to the commandos on Scarif. I just need to add the top stitching on the top where it's pinned.

This hat took three pattern test and two mock ups but I finally got it to look where I am very pleased with it.

I'm thinking I will dye the hat to Rit Dye Green #445. I know the hat in CA and in Florida are an olive brown but they read on screen as more green, however I'm waiting on my fabric swatches before I color it.

The goggles are vintage and are next on my list to work on, they look kind of silly with that striped elastic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: