Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f26222a35e26827a7d08745c8126bd8dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebels Numa WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Rebels Numa WIP Reply with quote

Hey all! I've got a thread going over on the Elstree Base forum, but I thought I might copy things over to the global forum!

After going off on a bit of a spiral I have apparently decided that before I dive in with Rebels!Bo Katan (wherever she may fall) I'm going to try to get a Rebels Numa done. All of the twi'leks! I also feel like keeping things very localised with Rebels, what with us coming up to the show's end and it being my especial love. Going to celebrate it for as long as I can.

I don't think that there are any standards for Numa yet. There were at least three Numa's at SWCO but I didn't get the chance to talk to them or find out if they were Rebel Legion/cleared.

In theory this should be relatively straight forward. I've already got lekku ready to go from when i made up my Hera pair (I made three or four pairs in one go.) They are the fuller Hera shape, but i can adapt my cap shape so that they sit closer together so the framing effect is lessened.

I have a bundle (a very large bundle from who knows where) of gorgeous black leather that should serve as her undercap, wrappings plus her glove. I'll probably get started on this first as I already have the materials to hand. Then I'll source then either print or paint a flat weave cotton for her kerchief.

For her trousers I will adapt my Hera flightsuit pattern as the overall shape is very similar: shorten it to knee-length, use a basic waistband and add inset pockets along with the necessary applique 'patches'.

A rollneck I might make just so I have the satisfaction of knowing I made the costume in full. It's a simple enough thing.

The chestpiece I might form out of either foamex or regular foam and then cover in leather or vinyl, I'll decided further down the line. For Boil's armour pieces, I'll commandeer the armour materials i've got coming for Bo Katan and have a go at making them myself. I've only ever done foam and Worbla armour before, so effectively this will be a dry run for Bo. It seems unreasonable and costly to get a kit for just an arm and belt.

Boots I'll source. I may cover them entirely to get the correct smoothness and detail, plus to match the footguard but we will see.

I have just ordered body paint because why do things in a sensible order? Sticking with Kryolan Aquacolour - I used Mac Chromacake for Hera, which is actually made for them by Kryolan (then obviously sold at a nonsense premium - that exact shade is sold by Kryolan proper in the US, but not in the UK.) I was ridiculously impressed with how my make-up stayed on in Orlando for 12+ hours after I perfected the methodology after my first troop. I really don't enjoy alcohol-based make-up, and I see no reason to change things up. I also ordered some violet contact lenses whilst I was at it.

So.. there we go! I'll hopefully get started on the cap tomorrow, and then see how things go. This will be a much slower build than Hera as there is more going on, but hopefully will be as successful![/img]
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot of update, which is unsurprising as we started shooting yesterday with a delightful 4am call (which meant getting up at 2.30am, and discovering that my car's batter was dead at 3am, YAY) so everything has been mad at work. Plus my post-Celebration fatigue is, as expected, on-going and will be for a good long while. BUT! Numa has begun!

After wrapping at lunchtime yesterday (aka 10.30am), I managed to get in some fabric shopping. Numa's soft-parts are pretty much covered: a beige heavy cotton twill for her trousers and a dense jersey for her rollneck, and a gorgeous Japanese double cotton possible option for her kerchief, though I still need to work out if i'm going to print, paint or bleach out the pattern. (While at it I picked up some more cotton to rework Hera's shirt - the collar is an on-going disaster - and a heavy grey cotton option for Hera's General coat as seen in the Freemaker's.) I also nipped down to Kryolan and picked up a darker blue body paint for the base of Numa's lekku.

(sorry for the instagram shot, all the fabric is currently drying after being washed.)

Unfortunately my headstand is, as you can see below, not in a happy state. I would have swapped it out with one of my others but it is the only one padded out to my measurements. I pinned another pair of my Hera-style lekku, wrapped a load of clinfilm and tape to keep things in place and started draping Numa's base cap.

Originally I had been thinking I would just tweak Hera's flightcap pattern, but decided it would have taken almost as much effort: The central panel is much wider and squarer at the front, and then very very narrow at the root of the lekku. There are no earpieces. The lekku 'sleeves' are plain and just 1.5" deep as they're just to keep things in place. The whole thing is much more squared off that Hera's, and there is also more head coverage and a tighter fit as Numa has no chin-strap. I'm hoping that I've taken enough care with the fit to keep it on my head!

I used a black lamb nappa backed (but not bonded) with calico for the cap. The central panel is, like Hera's, quilted with two layers of calico sandwiching some thinned out wadding and then the leather. I also added interfacing at the narrowest point to reinforce where the majority of the lekku weight will sit.

That central panel I tried to make wider so that the seams would sit right on the squared out corners and that entire width could be quilted, but the fit would have then been jeapordised and i didn't want to started adding even more panels. Hopefully this is a minor enough detail to be overlooked.

And Fin! In the pictures the left-hand lekk is trying to fall out of the cap - at some point when I made them the foam at the root was flattened while setting. I htink that I will go ahead and make new Numa specific lekku as hers sit much lower and flatter at the root than Hera's. They are also much straighter, hanging neatly behind her rather than the full sweetheart framing effect of Hera's. But I think, for now, I'll concentrate on the other costume elements. I'm hoping to get her trousers bashed out next weekend, pending any more hideous 2.30am starts!
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sounds interesting and beginning is very promising ! Please keep us updated Smile
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So rather than bombing through with the soft parts as I expected/planned, I ended up charging ahead with a new set of lekku. Unfortunately I got dragged back into work both days this weekend so I haven't managed a complete pull, but not so far off!

For the sculpt I took a slightly different take on the method I used for Hera's lekku (which were essentially made of stuff lying around - modelling wire, paper, air-drying clay.)

First up I marked out the lekku sleeves on my headform, and measured them. Marking them out wasn't really essential given the lekku will be two separate pieces, but as Numa's lekku sit so low it was a useful step for the shape.

Using cardstock I roughed out the lekku shape, making a card core/guide. Numa's lekku are pretty long - about mid-bum length - and they look even longer because they're so straight.

The card frame was then coated in expanding foam, then carved down to shape once cured used the card as a guideline.

Once cut down and given a rough sanding, the form was covered in plasteline. Because i was knackered I just slapped the clay on to get it covered then went back in today to smooth it out. As they're going to be worn with a cap/separated, I didn't really fuss over getting things clean over the scalp. I'm a little concerned about the size of the lekku proportionally, but as they are they will fit the flat cap and appear to be appropriately wider than Hera's. If it turns out that they are too big after the first pull, I'll alter my sculpt. If they're just too long, I can shorten them at the root. In theory, though, they should be fine. We'll see! (My headform is in a slooooow state of collapse, held together with gaffer tape and clingfilm and hope, which is why it's at such an angle. That makes it really hard to judge the shape and proportion in pictures.)

I'm currently two layers of latex in. Coat the entire form in liquid latex using sponge brushes; by the time I finish one layer the head of the form is usually dry enough for another, so I tend to go back over it until the brush is dry or that portion of latex runs out. In between layers dust the whole thing with talcum powder as this strengthens the latex. I can't remember exactly how many layers I did on Hera - anywhere between 10 and 25 - so I'll just keep going when I have time until I'm happy.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of a lot of questions about my Hera lekku, so I'm trying to keep things as clear and helpful this time!

Again, not a whole lot of progress, but the lekku are done!

I ended up doing around 12 layers of latex - I could have maybe stopped at 10 layers, but I wanted to be safe. I dusted the whole thing again with talcum powder then started peeling the latex off bit by bit, dusting the newly exposed latex as I went to stop it from sticking to itself.

Once the latex was fully removed, I turned it inside out and made sure it was entirely coated in talc. Then i filled it with around an inch and a half of rice at the tip, polyballs to around half way up the widest part of the lekku, then wadding to about an inch away from the root. The final part will be filled with expanding foam, but I need to go get some today! This, however, was enough to check the size and length of the lekku and do a quick test fit with the cap.

Happiness! The length is spot on, the width is pretty much perfect and they should hang more orless perfectly behind me once they're stabilised with the expanding foam.

Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just watched s01e20 of Clone Wars and realized it is the same little girl ! even more cool project Smile

Nice lekkus
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a very sad and neglected WIP thread... Things have been mad but I'm finally back on this.

I made the top out of a gorgeous black knit (which would make an amazing clone undersuit, but alas I bought the last couple of metres back in the spring.) Like with Hera I made it as a body so it'll lie neatly under everything. Fortunately right as I was about to to attach the collar I double checked the turnaround and noticed the detailing at the neckline.

I just added an extra panel to the collar piece, pressed it under and then attached the whole thing. The glove was made out of the same fabric as the top. The small little white detail on the right sleeve is a piece of vinyl bonded to the shirt.

I ended up remaking the leather base cap - I extended it by an inch at the back and a cm at the front, while taking in about 1cm on each of the sideseams. It's a bit of a squeeze to get it on now, but it means that it is a close enough fit to support the weight of the lekku without a chin strap or pulling on my forehead.

I spent a stupid amount of time fussing over the lekku wrappings. I just couldn't get my head around them! They're obviously intended to be wrapped but as they have been designed they are perfectly even and not angled. I mucked about with just stitching (bottom half of photo below) which just didn't work with this leather; pleating was too bulky.

I ended up doing 10 x 4cm strips stitched together - the same nappa as used for the cap. Really really obvious, but I'm so brainfried it just didn't occur to me. For the white detailingI used white vinyl stitched in, and for the smaller detailing holepunched and braided through a thinner strip. It came out pretty perfect, I think.

Formed into a sock and just pulled onto the lekku, then held in place to prevent slipping with a bit of prosaide.

Like for Hera, I painted my lekku using the smae make-up as for my face. In this case I'm using Kryolan Aquacolour, teal with a flatter blue on the tip (I can check codes). The shading in the character turnaround is pretty definitive with the darker flatter blues so I replicated that on the underside of the lekku. it looks a bit odd, but once with the make up and contouring it all ties together. Around three layers of make-up applied with sealer in lieu of water, powdered and sealed. I'm currently experimenting with a plasti-dip knock off to potentially add an additional level of sealant.

I toiled out the kerchief. I'm probably going to screenprint the fabric. On the turnaround there only seems to be seams on the underside of the lekku, so I tried to replicate this and keep the piece primarily pleated. It's sort of successful, though I have to add a separate piece in the centre back. otherwise it's all one piece. Draping this made me realise just hwo explicitly space!French Resistance Numa's look is, and I love it so much.

Aaaand then I got impatient and went straight in with a make-up test. Kryolan base colour, a combination of Nyx and Urban Decay to contour, revlon chubby stick of the lips. The violet lenses aren't especially bold (thanks, blindness) but I think they work quite well. My brushes were damp so I had to the wrong ones so the contouring here was very clumsy. But you get the idea. And Cat Taber gave it the thumbs up, so it's all good.

Next up, trousers! I adapted my Hera flightsuit pattern: dropped the waist slightly, added a straight waistband, added slit pockets and a fly front (damn that fly front) and tapered in the legs slightly then shortening them to below the knew. They still have a fullness but no Hera fullness.

You can tell Numa was designed by a dude: she has a man's flyfront on the turnaround. Arguably they are men's trousers, which makes sense given the rest of her outfit is scavenged. I noticed this, I had a conversations about this and then... I did a woman's flyfront anyway because autopilot. I didn't notice until I was attaching the waistband...

At no point can you see her fly front in the show because hse's always sitting or in shadow. I don't have enough fabric to recut the trousers and I really can't be bothered remaking them, but this is bugging me and I'm worried it'll be picked up during clearance. Thoughts?

Anyway, the trousers are made out of a wide twill lined in a lightweight cotton. For the patches I appliquéd them. The line detail I did by stitching and then pressing under. I did a bit of single/double stitching for interest and to try and give them a bit of purpose. Sugi had a bit of a claw at one of the patches, but they're going to be hardcore broken down so that just adds to it! I lightly gathered the legs around the calf and then added a two inch cuff.

Next up I'm going to make a start on the armour, eep, but unfortunately I think this might need to get shunted back to the side as I have a couple of commissions to get done for New York next month.
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, it looks all great !
Second, I think they would be dumb to refuse your costume for such a small detail than the flyfront Smile your costume looks really great. Plus it's a first time cosplay no ?

Regarding the flyfront, you don't have enough fabric to recut all the trouser, but do you still have 3/4cm by 15cm of it ? Maybe you could just sew a few man flyfront no ? Just a rectangular piece with one of the lower corner rounded. Couldn't it do the trick ?

Cheers
Please keep us updated with next steps Smile
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I considered doing that but the amount of work involved is a lot as the trousers are fully lined, and it wouldn't lie anywhere as neatly. It's a minor thing but I am most annoyed that i noticed it, pointed it out on twitter and then just autpiloted on anyway!

I dunno, maybe I'll just see if it gets picked up whenever i get round to submitting. My research has shown up two or three Numa's, and I don't think that any of them are RL cleared. Maybe? When it comes to animated characters, though, the clearance seems to be really uneven and hard to predict even with the same judge. So who knows!

But thanks, going to keep trucking along! Maybe, hopefully. I was hoping to take her to NY but I doubt she'll be done and cleared by then.
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok for the lining. Too bad !
I honestly hope it will not be problematic !

As you say, animated character are one thing specific and sometimes it's lottery for the approval !

Good luck
mblackburn (M Blackburn)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: <3 Reply with quote

Absolutely sensational, as always!
mblackburn (M Blackburn)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: <3 Reply with quote

Absolutely sensational, as always!
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys!
. . .

Ahoy! I've been trundling on again with Numa on and off for the last week or two - as ever behind planned schedule as I had to take a week and a half off for fatigue post-nyc and then I started my Masters, eep! Got to bash the rest of this costume out in the next couple of days as I have a photoshoot on Friday, eep.

I ended up getting the fabric for the kerchief printed after mucking about a bit with screenprinting - having the fabric printed properly means it'll have a longer life and be easier to replicate/replace when worn out by make-up exposure. I had a few sample pieces made up and decided to go for a cotton linen blend for a nice oldey resistance feel.

While in NYC I had a make-up and lekku jam with Annalise for the Looking For Leia doc as she had commissioned me for a Hera. This was basically a glorified second make-up test for me - I don't think I've quite nailed the look, oh well, and I need to drop the earcone placement. I also think i'm going to add a little more volume to the kerchief as it looks a bit flat and unflattering - her in show model looks like there are some pleats in front of the earcone.

For the chestplate, i knocked together a paper pattern then used 3mm foamex to cut out. I considered slotting them together neatly, but on the spirit of on the turnaround it looks like there is an overlap between the top and bottom and that would ultimately make for an easier and more secure piece.

I actually ended up scrapping this and completely recutting the front panels as I had made them too narrow, and to alter the straps and necklines to make them sit better and to be able to just have it as one piece that will go over my head rather than mucking about with fastenings.

Currently in the process of painting this - the paler colour so far. Then I will line the neckline with a purpley vinyl (possibly padded? We'll see.) The sides will be joined with a 212th yellow vinyl and some lovely industrial velcro.

The arm armour - Boil's armour - gave me a bit of anxiety. This whole armour nonsense did - I found it weirdly hard to wrap my head around such solid shapes from such a solid material. Not sure why. Again, paper pattern, this time drafted on a duct tape form of my arm, then cut out in 3mm foamex. It took me a couple of goes to get the pauldron shape right. Rightish. Numa's armour is CRAZY inconsistent from flat turnaround to spirit of turnaorund to actual in shape model, from colour to scale. So there should be some freedom there, though I am worried about clearance, but like I said before - i think this is the first Numa. Everything I've done has basically been a perfect compromise between the three different models and I gots all of the receipts.

Most of the breakdown shows black, so I primed in black then toothpasted. I am VERY worried about how Boil died.

Rather than using a true optic white base I used a white that was very very slightly off-white to help save a little on breakdown and give a real sense of age. This is about as far from shiny armour as you can get. There are actually three shades of orange/yellow for the stripe. For some reason I got a peachy colour first? No idea why. Then the colour I selected after a LOT of colour sampling across all of the models seemed like the closest choice but it looked insanely orange when actually on the amrour. SO i went for a more yellowy one, which is ultimately the best but I may have to do some coverup as I breakdown. The masking off and such looks a little comedy right now against the bright colours but it'll soften down and look more natural with weathering.

Aurebesh says 'Boil' *sob*, and the symbol was seen on Boil's helmet in TCW S1. Again - muddling scale and placement because Numa is the worst.

Belts! For her TK belt I cut off a strip of 5mm foamex and shaped it around my hips. Originally I cut it to 7.5cm as i think I read somewhere that that was the correct width of a clone belt but it look far too wide proportionally on me. I think i lopped it down to 6mm then cut out 3.4cm panels and just glued them on. Painted. Industrial velcro. Boom. The holster is just a box so I built that out of 5mm foamex. To be broken down to match the arm.

For her brown leather belt i did the exact same process but with 5mm and 2mm foam. Apparently I have no photos!

All that's left are the boots, breaking down the CT armour and sorting out the kerchief so I'm happy with it.
Xenadd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also done a couple of little props for Numa. Because I enjoy pain.

I replicated her little tooka doll from Innocents of Ryloth, then frayed the ears and the seams. I'm trying to bring myself to dirty it up.

I also got a Phase II trooper bucket from Evo3, the Bucket Of Infinite sadness. I'm working on this right now and have cleaned it up, primed and got the first coat of white on there (using a true white rather than the same off-white as the armour to 1) make it usable in the future if I want and 2) to give it a sense of greater value - she's been keeping it safe for 15 years.) I'm going to paint this up to match Waxer's on Umbara for maximum pain, hopefully in time for Friday.

Purgeworx also made me a DC-17, but I also apparently don't have any proper pics of that either.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Rebel Legion Webteam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're that type of costumer that dials it up to 11, which is why you get featured in articles! This has a retweet of you as Numa:

https://makingstarwars.net/2017/09/cosplayer-xena-duncan-is-hera/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: