Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=55ee08390a8348ee5bfa38b59ba470dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Luke Hilt (ANH, ESB, ROTS) for Mara Jade Green Dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuinGin ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Luke Hilt (ANH, ESB, ROTS) for Mara Jade Green Dress Reply with quote

My wife is starting a Mara Jade (Green Dress-- full length) build.
For the LightSaber it says: . Luke Skywalker ANH or ESB lightsaber hilt. (Anakin ROTS is also acceptable).

I would like to be able to get the lightsaber done for under $100 and have access to a hilt from this line: https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Star-Skywalker-Light-up-Lightsaber/dp/B00KZHGUSE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494802475&sr=8-6&keywords=hasbro+luke+lightsaber

or would this one be acceptable: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Lightsaber-Discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B00CFWWD7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494802921&sr=8-1&keywords=hasbro+anakin+lightsaber

If not, are there any options for an approvable Green Dress Mara Jade saber in the price range I am talking about?

Are there any hardware store style DIY builds (no graflex required) that would be approvable?

Thanks!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those 2 examples are both from the "Ultimate FX" line -- aka. ~2foot long, plastic toy sabers.

the Generic Jedi standards mention these by name :
(No toy sabers, no Ultimate FX short saber)

^^ these are not allowed.

-===-

the ones you want are called "Force FX" by Master Replicas ; or "Signature Series" by Hasbro.

(the newer ones are called "Black Series" by Hasbro).

they are each 44 inches long, with an authentic-replica 'metal' hilt , and 3-foot blade.

^^ these are the only 'Hasbro' sabers that are allowed -- the ones with the "metal" hilt.

(the plastic hilts are not allowed)

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Mon May 15, 2017 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S:

I was able to find a broken Force-FX, with no blade or electronics, (just an empty hilt with all the internal guts removed), for only $50 on Ebay.

it works fine as a 'belt hanger' prop.

unfortunately.. because this is a face character with an iconic hilt..
I don;t think a DIY hardware store saber would work. it needs to be a graflex (or graflex-replica).

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a 3d printed and painted hilt be acceptable?
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that would work.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's probably the route I'll end up having to go then.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the print lines are sanded away and covered with paint. Smile That requires multiple rounds of sanding and painting.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
QuinGin ()

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lora! I take it resin cast would be acceptable as well? Do I need to post a link to the model first, or with all the variations from ROTS, to Anh, to ESB, that are possible based on the Mara CRL, should I be okay as long as it looks like the graflex saber?
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the legend alone I would personally go with the Luke ESB, that is the one Mara gets in the Thrawn Trilogy of books, just my 2 cents.

Honestly, if you are looking at 3d Printing or Resin Cast, you should just look at a metal hilt. In the end, you will be out of pocket about the same for both when you consider conversion pieces and finishing time (paint, sanding, etc).

I'd advise saving and spending a bit more cash. Go to the Custom Saber Shop or Korbanth and get a Graflex 2.0, this way you can upgrade at a later time and have light/sound in your hilt without having to buy a new hilt. Honestly, the 'scratch and dent' 2.0 (Lukes saber was beat up anyways as it was a old Camera Flash) is $155, that will have all the conversion pieces you need - http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/ScratchDent-Graflex-20-Saber-Kit-P1168.aspx

Good Luck, Mara is a fan favorite for sure!

Dave
QuinGin ()

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the end, you will be out of pocket about the same for both when you consider conversion pieces and finishing time (paint, sanding, etc).

What do you mean conversion pieces? Also RE: the legend-- if we're just going based on continuity of narrative... the ESB saber IS the ANH, IS Anakin's saber, IS Maz's saber, unless there's some narrative I'm unaware of where Luke upgrades, modifies, or otherwise renovates the saber Obi-wan handed him.

I think I can get the 3d printed and painted version done for between $35 and $50. And the saber isn't really the center piece of the costume.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conversion pieces - grips, d-ring belt clip, red button/glass eye

True, the Saber is suppose to be the same HOWEVER the actual piece changed drastically between ANH and ESB, you really can't compare the ROTS piece as that was a custom machined piece to resemble the Graflex, it is skinnier and details were very different.

ANH - 7 grips, single strap d-ring, glass eye
ESB - 6 grips with rivets/screws (depending on version), Kobold D-Ring clip, 2nd red button in place of glass eye
ROTS - custom machined piece, 6 grips, different mid band, skinnier than a Graflex, no D-Ring, Covertec Knob for Covertec Clip

Very different pieces.

Like I said, it is just my 2 cents, a metal piece will look so much better with a costume than a 3d printed or resin piece, in my opinion. If you think a Saber won't be a focal point of any costume that is suppose to have one, then you and I have very different opinions, which is cool, but for me if someone is holding a Saber or has one hanging from their belt then I judge it as an important part of the costume as a whole, so to me it matters, to some it doesn't, to each their own

Cheers

Dave
QuinGin ()

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that the props are different. Was speaking strictly to the narrative in my response.

Those conversion pieces you mention aside from the d-ring and belt clip can't be elements of the 3d print design?

Didn't say it wasn't important... but peoples eyes will go
1. Beautiful wife
2. Red hair
3. Green Dress
4. lightsaber and other accessories.

Asking about approvable on this post with regard to the saber, not ultimate perfection. As we are 1. on a budget. 2. new in cosplay. Though my wife is an experienced seamstress.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resin and other materials are fine as long as you make it look like metal. Smile It'll take some work, but it can be done.

And what style you ultimately go with is up to you. I prefer Luke's Empire saber myself, but wouldn't bat an eye at a Hope saber either. (Though my eye might twitch at the Revenge saber). Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
erictank ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a TCSS scratch-and-dent hilt coming myself, actually. Something for little-kid Reys to hand me for a photo op, once I get Old Luke together. And for a certain troublesome Garrison PR officer to try to make me laugh at the faces she makes when doing that scene.

She's pretty good at it.

I also have a 3D printed ESB/TFA hilt that I still intend to put together, as an exercise in finishing 3D prints before I take on my E-11D (for my Rogue One Deathtrooper).

IIRC, my 3D printed saber hilt (from an Etsy maker) did have the D-ring and all the conversion parts to make the saber, as separate elements. 3 sections for the hilt, the center with the control box printed as part of it, 6 (I believe) T-tracks for the grips, pin sets and the "glass eye", and the D-ring, I think it is. It's actually a pretty good print.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Luke Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: