Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bb6a99f10b9b1d44f9ab1da425adb834Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Some questions from a "fluffy" Senatorial Leia in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Some questions from a "fluffy" Senatorial Leia in Reply with quote

Hi All -- I've decided to do a Senatorial Leia costume, and I'm looking for advice/answers from any plus size/"fluffy" ladies with one of their own. I have searched through the forums here, so if any of this has been answered, I apologize that I didn't find it.

1) Can you have more than 8 plates on the belt, so that they are spaced evenly, and not too spread out? I'm worried that with my waist size, only 8 will be too far apart to give the proper look. I think I found a post stating that you can, but I'd like to confirm. And if you can, is there a guideline for how far apart plates should be -- or is it just kind of an "eyeball it", where they are even?

2) For the dress, I'm going to have to do the two piece pattern, as I'm 5'10" (yes "a little tall for a Leia") and my armspan is too large for the 58" wide fabric I have. However, I'm concerned now that with my waist size the dress might not be loose enough to blouse properly. (Full disclosure: my waist size is about 46-47 inches at the bellybutton, and is much larger than my hips or bust. My midsection below that is slightly larger). I'm not sure if there will be enough width for the proper effect - without making it huge in the bust too?

3) Due to #2 above, I'm unsure about how to draw the pattern and cut the dress. I'm going to probably need most of the fabric width to get enough at the waist for blousing, but the way I've seen the patterns drawn, it doesn't allow for that. I'm worried that the silhouette of the dress will be off. See my rough sketch:

Does this seem like how I'll have to draw it -- or should I just make it straight down from the underarms? I'm just worried that will make the top/bust too huge.

I think I've figured how I'll have to cut it -- lay the fabric out, unfolded and flat, and cut with the selvages at the top/bottom of the pattern pieces (neck/waist/hem) and do each piece separately. More difficult maybe than folding, but to get the fabric lie the same both ways, that's all I can think of.

Thank you in advance for your input and help, and for reading this long post. I recently decided I wanted to put together this costume, even though I'm tall, fat and old, but I'm just a little worried if I can execute it. Sad

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have more than 8 plates, as long as they are evenly spaced and have the right look.

The ideal number is no lower than 7 plates.
Base Membership Officer 2017
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie is right about the belt plates, and I think it's a great idea to give yourself more space in the hips. Often that's where things look tight, so giving more width to help with gathering will probably be more flattering too.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the two others said. Smile Do a mock up and find out what your ideal widths are for the different parts to get the right look for you.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladies! I'm hoping to work on the dress this weekend and post pictures.

One question, to confirm the shape of the dress, the skirt part seems to hang fairly straight, correct? So it shouldn't flare out at the bottom (as I've seen some patterns look like), but rather go down fairly straight from the widest/hip portion? Or, in my case, it might go straight down from the waist, since I'm about the same width from there to below my hips (or maybe a little bigger at the waist) That's partly what I was concerned about initially, for making the shape of the dress, since my waist is not so defined.

A quick belt question too -- since I'm taller/larger, is making a slightly wider belt a good idea? I know I'll do a paper mock up from the patterns I have, but just wondered your thoughts on it. Thank you!!

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather, I used a t-tunic style dress pattern so there is some flare out past the waistline, but not as much as you'd see in period style dresses.

I'll leave it to the DL leadership though to say if this is still acceptable or not.

and btw, that is my favorite Carrie Fisher quote in your signature line. What wonderful words of wisdom!
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Feedback requested Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm most of the way done with my dress (using the 2 piece method), but I need some feedback on my sleeve length. Is it passable? I patterned it larger, but had a big jagged edge of fabric I had to work around, and ended up shortening them a bit. (And the armpit is extended out to allow room for the girls, fyi). Very Happy

Arms extended:

Arm at sides:

Also, hoping my sleeve is big enough too. I'm at the point where if it doesn't look right, I'll have to scrap the entire top and start over.. Which I'd rather do before sewing it all together. Thank you!

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on where your seam line is I think the sleeves will be too short. I'd also like to see a softer curve on the armpit from main part of the dress into the sleeve. Maybe add a little extra curve to the end of the sleeve, too.

Other opinions?

ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Lora -- when I looked at it again Monday, I realized that it definitely needed to be redone. I was just so frustrated Sunday after I spent so much time drafting, doing a mock up and then sewing to have it go to waste. Mad

I've redone my pattern for the top, and I'm thinking this will work better. I modeled the original sharp angle off some of the tutorials -- but they didn't have to come out so much from the body to allow for more room, so it worked for theirs. What do you think about this new pattern? I also added even more length to the sleeves, to be sure I have some to work with. Smile

Luckily, the fabric I'm using is cheap, so I'm not out too much fabric wise Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your frustrations. I've tried scrapping a few meters of silk... that hurts, but ultimately I'd rather do that than end up with something that is incorrect.

The new curve should work better and also give you something to work with just like extra length on your sleeves. When you are sure of your sleeve length you can then make and sew the lining to it. Smile But try it on and post up some pictures for feedback.

Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you decided to re-cut! I think for sure the armpit being lower on your torso might help- in my opinion the armpit should be pretty low to be more accurate anyway and it should help with fit....for the skirt have you thought about doing a bigger "A" like instead of giving yourself a curve for your hips?

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: