Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3b93982a86792b0d0181a5005c92c444Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Senatorial Leia - WIP [CLEARED]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks! I'm afraid nothing particularly crazy, I'm not a make-up guru! It's just regular foundation with undereye concealer, then I took some photos of Carrie and tried to replicate her look. I used contour to change my nose shape, but my face shape is already very similar to hers. I've used pink eyeshadow and blush, black eyeliner and white eyeliner at the lower waterline. Finally I used concealer and a little pink lipstick to shape my lips to match hers. Smile
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally submitted! My first submission, I'm a little terrified xD

I completely remade the dress from a fabric that doesn't crease so easily - it now looks much better over the course of a day.
I also made the buns as separate hairpieces following a tutorial I found on here. I'm much happier with them!

Fingers crossed I might be a full member soon! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which buns tutorial did you use? I think there are a couple on here, and I've seen a couple of others out there...debating which one to try. I plan to do clip on buns w/my natural hair -- but my hair is so fine/thin, I don't think I'll try to wrap them in w/my own hair. I'll cover my tiny buns Smile Thanks! (And you look amazing!)
“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this one: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38334

I had to remove the combs from the centre though and sew them higher up to make room for my hair underneath them.
Otherwise it works really well! My hair is quite fine as well 😂

Thanks! Love your General Leia, by the way! I'm going to submit that one next, just have to sort the belt buckle Smile

Last edited by chameleon () on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! And thank you for the kind words on my General! Honestly, the belt buckle was one of the more challenging things for me -- mostly just in material choice! I ended up using layers of craft foam and glue, formed around a metal buckle the right size. It looks pretty good, but I'd like to try another method down the road - maybe a sculpt, mold and cast. Let me know if you want any more info on how i did mine! Good luck!
“Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow.” - Carrie Fisher
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ibejedi Oh, nice! I originally made mine from foam as I was very pressed for time, and it tore fairly quickly. I've just put in an order for a 3D printed one which I'm going to sand and paint myself, and hopefully that will do the job and hold up a bit longer!

And I can now happily say that my costume has been cleared! Very excited and looking forward to trooping sometime soon! Very Happy
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Glad to see you got approved!

One question for you -- and it may not help me, since I'm in the States, but what kind of tape did you use when making the buns? The original tutorial author refers to "Vulctape", but says that's what they call it in Sweden. I have no idea what kind of tape she's referring to, or what an American equivalent would be. I think it's something that's sticky on both sides? Anyway, if you'd share what you used, that might help me figure out what to use. Thank you!!
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course! No, it's not sticky on both sides. I would call it electrical tape, can't promise that's what you'd​ call it too but hopefully you can find it with that. Smile
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, perfect! So the black,stretchy, kind of shiny, sticky on one side plastic tape -- yes that would be electrical tape here too Smile From the tutorial and her description, I wasn't exactly sure but I suspected maybe that was it. Did you wrap it sticky side out, so the hair sticks to it? Or sticky side to the wire? I know these questions sound silly, but I'm just wanting to clarify from someone who did it Smile Thank you!!
chameleon ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one! And no, you don't need that - it's just to cover the wire to help hide it and make it a bit easier to work with. And you wrap it around the ends to hold the hair in place and to make the end of the wire safe to handle Smile
You'll need to start curling the buns as you twist the hair, or the twist doesn't end up in the right place. I also ended up removing the combs and sewing them in higher up as my hair didn't fit properly in the buns with them where they were.
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the tips! I think that's the one I'm going to go with first and try Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: