Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=361a97c72b9d4f6c44a7d37aaa6f950fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

my Kloo-horn research

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space-In-Vader ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: my Kloo-horn research Reply with quote

since I made a nice vader already, I am quite familiar with details. So I wanted to make a nice screen-accurate kloo-horn. I made some screencaps and increased the brightness to see more details. In addtion I watched the "Star Wars Holiday Special"... (Urgh!... never again... what a torture) to get some more details. But the Holiday Special is not suitable (in no way) because the resolution is too low, the recording is of a bad quality and there seem to be instruments that are way different to the ANH-Cantina-scene.
Unfortunately I found no behind-the-scenes or making-of pictures of the kloo-horn so far.

Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick google-search ("kloo horn).
for example:

these instruments looks really great to me.

When I look closer, the bottom end looks a bit different in comparison to the sceencaps.

In my eyes it looks that on screen there are black rubber-rings put on a tube. I am not sure about the area between the top 4 rings and the next 4 rings (it looks like the tube is thicker in this section), but maybe it's a matter of lighting and blur.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be a solid disc at the bottom. To me the whole tube looks like it is not simply round: the sides seem to be flatened. I have no idea what they used for this prop, but I guess it's some piece of technical equipment like a part of an airplane-engine (like ig-88 etc.).
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the fact that they used a lot of aircraft junk (http://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-the-meteor) I guess that the kloo-horn is made of a camshaft.

This assumption would explain my perception that some parts of the kloo-horn seem to be not round and that there are metal rings on the tube between the black rings.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camshaft is very heavy and solid: so if they used a camshaft, they might have made a mold/ cast of it to make a ligthweighting copy made of fiberglass.
To make my own kloo-horn I thought about using aluminum or metal-tubes. But regarding the weight and costs I will use acrylic glass and plastic.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the top of the horn... I have no screencap that shows the top. But if this is a good reference (the horn looks like the one seen on screen, the masks are nice and even the silver item in the background is the right one, lighting and even the fog matches... I suppose this is a behind-the-scenes-picture) the top is just a cylinder with a flat base.

Today the first acrylic-glas-tubes arrived. Next will be some thin sheets of acrylic-plates... I hope I will be able to bend and cut them the right way.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked again at the sections that seemed to be not just round like a tube but a little bit flatened. Compared this to the behind-the-scenes-pictures. I see that the special areas on the screencaps are all a little bit blurry. So maybe this is a thing of light exposure on film and a thing of motion. My conclusion: I revised my point of view and now I think that the horn is a simple tube. No camshaft, no molding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: