Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=40b986e1538a88bbd94154cd9c7146d6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

my Kloo-horn research / build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space-In-Vader ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: my Kloo-horn research / build Reply with quote

since I made a nice vader already, I am quite familiar with details. So I wanted to make a nice screen-accurate kloo-horn. I made some screencaps and increased the brightness to see more details. In addtion I watched the "Star Wars Holiday Special"... (Urgh!... never again... what a torture) to get some more details. But the Holiday Special is not suitable (in no way) because the resolution is too low, the recording is of a bad quality and there seem to be instruments that are way different to the ANH-Cantina-scene.
Unfortunately I found no behind-the-scenes or making-of pictures of the kloo-horn so far.

Last edited by Space-In-Vader () on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick google-search ("kloo horn).
for example:

these instruments looks really great to me.

When I look closer, the bottom end looks a bit different in comparison to the sceencaps.

In my eyes it looks that on screen there are black rubber-rings put on a tube. I am not sure about the area between the top 4 rings and the next 4 rings (it looks like the tube is thicker in this section), but maybe it's a matter of lighting and blur.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there seems to be a solid disc at the bottom. To me the whole tube looks like it is not simply round: the sides seem to be flatened. I have no idea what they used for this prop, but I guess it's some piece of technical equipment like a part of an airplane-engine (like ig-88 etc.).
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the fact that they used a lot of aircraft junk (http://www.starwars.com/news/from-world-war-to-star-wars-the-meteor) I guess that the kloo-horn is made of a camshaft.

This assumption would explain my perception that some parts of the kloo-horn seem to be not round and that there are metal rings on the tube between the black rings.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A camshaft is very heavy and solid: so if they used a camshaft, they might have made a mold/ cast of it to make a ligthweighting copy made of fiberglass.
To make my own kloo-horn I thought about using aluminum or metal-tubes. But regarding the weight and costs I will use acrylic glass and plastic.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the top of the horn... I have no screencap that shows the top. But if this is a good reference (the horn looks like the one seen on screen, the masks are nice and even the silver item in the background is the right one, lighting and even the fog matches... I suppose this is a behind-the-scenes-picture) the top is just a cone with a flat base.

Today the first acrylic-glas-tubes arrived. Next will be some thin sheets of acrylic-plates... I hope I will be able to bend and cut them the right way.

Last edited by Space-In-Vader () on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looked again at the sections that seemed to be not just round like a tube but a little bit flatened. Compared this to the behind-the-scenes-pictures. I see that the special areas on the screencaps are all a little bit blurry. So maybe this is a thing of light exposure on film and a thing of motion. My conclusion: I revised my point of view and now I think that the horn is a simple tube. No camshaft, no molding.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile, a lampshade that reflects my taste arrived... -woohoo! - Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmQl8khvVUE
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to get an idea of the dimensions/ proportions:

but I see that the angle is not the best (bottom of the horn is tilted to the rear).
so this seems to be better:

I assume that the section over the middle section is as long as the section under the middle section. The three sections are 100%. The cap on the top has to be added.
So if I assume the the pipe has a diameter of 60 mm (I determined this value: I grasped different tubes and checked the look/ the gap between the fingers and the thumb) and the black rings have a material thickness of 5 mm so that the overall diameter of the top and bottom section is 70 mm the length of the top and bottom section is 35,41 cm each and the middle is 20,49 cm. The cap would be 8,3 cm. The kloo-horn would be from top to bottom (without the red pipe on the bottom) 99,61 cm.
This seems pretty nice and plausible to me.
In addition, if I assume that they used a kind of simple cup for the top cap, the presumed diameter of about 70 mm matches fine.
--- edit: nah, i think the cap is not a simple cup. The cup would not stand on the table with these proportions and this small base. So I will have to do the cap from scratch.

Last edited by Space-In-Vader () on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to share a nice vid of my bith-mask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CmYJeAKJ4Q
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's go on.

Given the data elaborated/ assumed/ guessed, each section of four black rings and three spaces between them is about 11,75% of the whole upper section. This would mean 4,16 cm. The five thicker silver rings between each of theses six sections is about 5,9% or 2,09 cm. I assume that each black ring is 5,5 mm thick. So 4,16 cm - (4 x 5,5 mm)= 1,96 cm. Three spaces between the black rings: 1,96 cm : 3 = 6,5 mm. This corresponds to my perception that the rings and the spaces seem to be almost of the same thickness.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cap and middle section dimensions:
Myna Sturnidae (Kimberly Ramsay)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great research on your kloo-horn build. Look forward to seeing the finished piece. Thank you for sharing Very Happy

Rebel Legion - Echo Base
Clones of the Republic (CT)
Wretched Hive (TR-AOTC)
The Wretched Hive XO
GRRRL 72
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kimberly,
thank you so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it. Very Happy

Next dimension:
the flexible tube:

So in my eyes it has a diameter of 10 mm. I will use a rubber cable (for example H07RN-F 3x1,5 qmm) and maybe I put a wire in it to fix the shape.
Space-In-Vader ()

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Materials part 1 Reply with quote

I will use these acrylic-glass tubes of different diameters (Nr. 1, 2, 3). Will have to cut a slit in Nr. 2 and 3 at the back to make it easier to push them on Nr. 1.
Will make the silver rings of Nr. 3 or Nr. 2.
Tube Nr. 4 is used to fix the black (fuel-)hose (Nr. 5) to the horn.
You can see the black rubber-ring Nr. 6 between two other rings of different thickness that I tried. There are many rings furthermore (Nr. 7). Nr. 8 is a thin and bendable sheet of acrylic glass that will be used to make the top cap and maybe the grip-structures on the middle-section. Nr. 9 (thicker, sturdy acrylic glass) will be used to make the top cap more strong and to make the silver disc at the bottom. There is a thicker pipe of copper to make the mouthpiece (it will be painted with Nr. 14). The thinner pipe of copper will be used to make the shape of the black hose (permanent shape just like a bassoon; I watched the cantina scene a few times and I think this is a appropriate way to make it). To bend the copper-pipes accurately I will use this pipe-bending-pliers (Nr. 12). Nr. 13 is a primer for the acrylic glass, Nr. 14 is the silver color. Nr. 16 are the golden knobs in the middle section (I use press studs). Nr. 17 is the silver knob in the middle section (it's a drawer-knob made of aluminum).
Nr. 18 is soundmodule to play about ten different tunes (each with a single button).
What's still missing: a speaker, a knob to adjust the volume, the knobs for the sounds, a magnet for the mouthpiece (and another for the mask's mouth), the keypad, the tiny golden item at the very bottom, the three silver rods, the copper-rod, the reddish rings at the bottom...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: