Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8437d894afa5e0686d09387cfe61b93eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fireside Padme Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Fireside Padme Build Reply with quote

You know how it is. Finish one costume, start 4 more. Razz

This has also been one of my dream costumes and I finally have the time and finances to start it. I've been lurking on the forums and reading as much as I can on other builds and tutorials and I think I have a pretty good idea of what is needed.

A good friend is helping me with the corset/skirt and we will be making that together and hopefully have this ready by SDCC.
Shocked

The biggest problem was the lace fabric for the skirt. I was not having any luck finding something that would work. I found a perfect one in LA but they only had 3 yards and unfortunately, that was not enough. After searching online, I lucked out and found this fabric.

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0493936/lace-zebra-metallic-silver

At $4.18/yard, I couldn't pass it up.

I ordered 6 yards which is probably way more than we will need but figured it wouldn't hurt to have extra fabric.

I still need to purchase the lining fabric and the pleather for the gloves and the corset. That should be happening in the next week or so if all goes well.

The choker is the part that I will be making all on my own. It seems that the wording on the standard gives a bit of leeway in terms of the kinds of beads.

"Wide choker of black velvet trimmed with strands of black jet beads. A large medallion of beads is applied to the center front in a rosette-like design with many lengths of black velvet cord and strands of black jet beads reaching nearly to the hem down the center front."

I've been searching for awhile for the little Pac-Man type beads but have not had any luck so decided to go with the closest I could find and go from there. Luckily, JoAnn's was having a Memorial Day sale and all beads were 50% off. I stocked up on probably more than I needed but found some beautiful ones that should work great.

I purchased half a yard of velvet from Hobby Lobby as well. I measured it out so that it would be enough to use for both the choker portion and the brooch.

After checking the beads I had, I decided on these round ones as the base design for the "bigger" bead central design. This was a preliminary setup to see how it looked.

I popped in a movie and decided to work for an hour to see how far I could get.

So far, I am pleased with it but am open to any advice on this piece. I haven't invested too much time so if it needs to be taken out and redone, I am good with that. I'm hoping to work on this some more over the weekend.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you're well on your way! You really are churning through costumes right now. That lace you found is great. I've been getting bursts of "would this lace work?" from Lisa for the last few months, so I'm glad you found one that worked for the costume and for your budget. I look forward to seeing more progress on this.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper

Galactic Senate DCO
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
That lace you found is great. I've been getting bursts of "would this lace work?" from Lisa for the last few months, so I'm glad you found one that worked for the costume and for your budget. I look forward to seeing more progress on this.

LOL Thank you for all your help on this. It took awhile but finally found a good one. Very Happy

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOOOVVEE this costume, I think the fork and pear should be optional for the standards....
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit more of an update. This past weekend I was able to go with Lisa to the LA Fabric district. While there, she helped me find a beautiful pleather for the corset/gloves and also a stunning gray satin for the underskirt. The beads were the main issue and we lucked out in that department as well. The main cost for this costume seems to be all the trim. I found a gorgeous velvet trim for $1/yard and bought 20 yards of it. Laughing
After measuring the distance from my neck to my ankles, we estimated I would need 50 inches per strand and/or 15 velvet strands.

The beads strands were on sale at $1.75/strand if I bought more than 12. I ended up buying 38 strands of crystals. We also found beautiful stones that can be used for the main circle design of the choker and they were really inexpensive.

I also purchased fishing wire with which to restring the beads with. It is surprisingly easy to do, just time consuming. I used 2.5 strands to make the one in the picture below. It really is beautiful and I cannot wait to have them all strung together and 15 strands total.

The process of restringing these crystals is time consuming but easy. That one strand took me roughly 35-40 minutes. Once it is all done though, the necklace portion should be finished by the end of this weekend.

I have a plan of attack for the choker as well in terms of its construction and making it stay up and flat even with the weight of the necklace. I'll post progress on that when I start it.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are making good progress. Smile Remember you will need different sizes and shapes of beads on those strands, so they don't all end up the same.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Looks like you are making good progress. Smile Remember you will need different sizes and shapes of beads on those strands, so they don't all end up the same.

Thanks for that info, Lora! After I saw your comment, I went through Padwan's Guide for more references and saw what you were referring to. I finished the second strand just now and it's definitely going more in the direction I need. Very Happy

This one was much faster to make as I now know the steps needed. 50 inches of fishing wire is a lot of length to fill with beads but it is looking so good, I am glad I am taking my time.

I also purchased the Vogue V2810 pattern in my size. It should be arriving in a few days and then I can begin the mock of the skirt.

I also discovered when reading the Padawan's Guide that Natalie actually wore a white corset UNDER the leather portion. That makes this costume so much easier! I already have an overbust corset that I can use that is the perfect shape. I just need to make the pleather over layer to have the correct look/fit. Being a bit curvier and bustier than Natalie, I definitely need the extra support. Shocked

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that makes complete sense. You should always wear a support corset underneath the fashion corset. One for shape and hold (and to support the skirt), one to look fancy. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more free time yesterday than I thought I would and was able to finish ALL the bead strands. I guess my math was off because after making 11 strands, I was out of beads. However, when I paired them with the 15 strands of velvet, it worked. My question to the judges though is if it is fine as is or if I need to add more strands of beads and/or velvet?

I wish the sparkles from the crystal could translate better in the photos. The crystals I purchased really are stunning and look SO good against the velvet!
Amadalia

I decided to take out the initial bead work I had done on the brooch and start fresh. I purchased better thread and needles and am going to work on it this weekend. My goal, though it is a lofty one, is to have all the bead work on the brooch done by Sunday night so I can begin assembling the brooch/collar/necklace by Wednesday. I'm on a bit of a time crunch with this costume. 33 days till SDCC. Shocked

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. You might need a bit more beads, but it's hard to tell. My guess would be more rows of beads to have them lie closer together.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of work done this weekend and I am oh so happy with how it is turning out!

I focused most of Saturday night on hand beading the brooch. Following someone else's suggestion, I plopped down on my bed, put on "The Mummy" and set to work. This was, BY FAR, the most extensive hand sewing I have ever done and the most time consuming but I cannot express how happy I am with it.

I ended up using the embroidery circle frame (not sure of the correct name) to "mark" the fabric and then took it off. Using that circle as a guide, I started hand stitching the beads to the velvet. The size of the needle vs. the size of the beads I was working with was tricky but I was able to find a decent size needle at JoAnn's and used that. I also used beading thread to keep everything in place. Regular thread just wasn't cutting it.
One hour in...

One and a half hours in...

Two hours in...

Five hours in and done.

I plan on reinforcing the back and then sewing a snap on it so that it can be easily removed from the choker.

The choker was the part that took me awhile to figure out. I knew what it needed to look like and also generally what was going to be needed. I just wasn't sure of the best way to go about it. I like what I ended up doing but am curious as to what other Padme's did for this particular section.

I measured around my neck and then added 2 inches to that to get the length I needed. I measured my brooch and made sure the choker would be a size comparable to the choker. I then cut the fabric on the cutting board to the measurements needed.

I bought some flexible plastic to line the choker with and also added some foam padding we had lying around to give it sufficient weight and strength.

Originally I was going to use a button system to close the choker but Natalie's doesn't have any visible closure so I didn't want to do that. I ended up sewing Velcro to the choker and that worked great! I also attached the velvet to the choker as well.

It hangs really well, is the correct length and holds the shape I wanted. Even though the brooch wasn't ready to be attached, I did a quick try on with it and the velvet and, in my humble opinion, it looks really good!

I also found a double sided headband on Amazon for $2 and it arrived quickly. Please ignore my no makeup face. After sewing all day, I wasn't in the mood to put on anything for a quick reference shot. Confused

I plan on adding the beads today and tomorrow and finishing up the brooch. This was the biggest hurdle for me in terms of time and construction (so far anyway) so I am glad to see the finish line for it. Mr. Green

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update. I attached the brooch to the choker and I am honestly in love. It looks so perfect against the velvet! Just finished attaching the bead strands to the choker as well. It's pretty heavy but not unbearably so. I may add some more beads depending on what the judges say but overall I think it looks great!

Just a bit more hand beading to do on the actual choker and its finished. I am so happy. I set a goal to have this portion done before Wednesday and it will be. Lots of hours put in (and money!) but it is showing. Mr. Green

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I can't see all of your pictures and the last one is not showing up for me.

But I can say that the headband is too slim compared to the original, which was flat and wider.

http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=padme-amidala-black-fireside-corset-gown

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Sadly I can't see all of your pictures and the last one is not showing up for me.

But I can say that the headband is too slim compared to the original, which was flat and wider.

http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=padme-amidala-black-fireside-corset-gown

That's so weird. The photos are showing up for me perfectly both on Imgur and in this post. Here is the direct link to the album.
https://imgur.com/a/UG3wU

Got it on the headband. Luckily it was only $2 including shipping and I can prob modify it to look accurate. Thanks for the input.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now they are showing up. Maybe they were on strike before. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: