Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=99aa9b1f79510d21ec07786800d5c5c5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Master Atris - KotOR II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Verryn (Laura)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Jedi Master Atris - KotOR II Reply with quote

Hello all!

I did it! I finally finished my Atris that I have been working on for quite some time now and I thought I would share some of my thoughts and work progress here.

I did decide to go in a bit of a different route however, in that I absolutely hate the CRL for Atris; it doesn't match the character in game at all. (What self-respecting Jedi wears satin sheen material in a kimono pattern?) I've gone around and collected image references from both the concept art and the in-game model which I intended to use as guides. I also spent quite some time digging through the game files until I was able to extract Atris' texture file to attempt to recreate her tabard pattern down to the last detail.

Note, I'm going to keep all of the images as a link in order to keep the bulk of the post down. Apologies if this is a hassle to anyone reading.

Here is a few of the reference images I collected for her.

Let's get started:

Tunic
I made out the pattern for the tunic by following a few tutorials already available here on the forums. EeanLedgor has a wonderful tutorial that I referenced heavily for the purposes of the tunic and tabards. Unfortunately, seeing as I am not a man and only 5 foot 8 inches tall, I had to do some sizing and adjustments so that it would fit my shorter, girly frame. I then used the paper patterns I ended up with to cut out the pieces I needed.
Pattern pieces.

After that, it was a matter of cutting out the pieces and sewing them together as indicated in Eean's tutorial.
All the fabric cut out.

After starting to sew some of the pieces together, I noticed that the shoulders were actually much too wide for me, so I trimmed them down on the diagonal for a better fit.
Shoulders trimmed down.

Progress: And here is the final tunic all sew together.
Tunic.

Reasoning: So it looks a little bit silly as shown there like that, but it's for a decent reason, I promise. Looking through any of the references I had gathered of Atris, both closeups and full body, I noticed there was a distinct overlap along her chest where the edges of a tunic or robe were coming together. However, the reason that made me realize it was a Jedi tunic is the fact that that overlapping edge is missing from her skirt. This means that her "robe" is actually a two piece tunic and skirt much like is seen on Jocasta Nu, coincidentally, also a Jedi Historian.

The difference is that Atris tucks the ends of her tunic into her skirt, whereas Jocasta has them overtop the skirt, and the waistband and the visible division of the two pieces is hidden underneath her obi sash.

Skirt
A little out of order (I actually made the tabards and sash second), but to keep rolling with the concept of the two piece "robe" I spoke of above, I'm going to talk about the skirt next. Atris' skirt is both full and long, but shows no visible pleats along the wasitband. In fact, it is quite smooth, but then, that's probably because of the low poly count for her in-game model.

The easiest way to recreate this look was to take the concept of a circle skirt and modify it a little bit to keep the length that I needed intact. Because of my height, I couldn't take a bolt of fabric and cut a massive circle or semi-circle out of it. The final design I went with was a six-panelled skirt with pieces that got wider at the bottom. The exact measurements I used are 20cm at the top of the panel and 50cm at the bottom (to get an idea for the ratio), which is enough for it to gather up a bit once the elastic is put it.

I actually had to measure those out 3 times on the fabric because apparently I'm SUPER FANTASTIC at marking things out (read: I suck at measuring). Regardless, this would allow me to get in and out of the skirt without any visible zippers; remember, the waistband disappears underneath the obi sash.
Skirt panels.

Once all six panels are sewn together, I joined the free edges to make a giant cone shape. This gives me quite a bit of room along the bottom hem and hence, that fullness I was looking for.
Full reach of the skirt.

Here's the whole thing on a hanger. Note the elastic waistband.

Progress: So here is what I now have so far. (And basically looks like bathrobe.)
Tunic and skirt.

Tabards and Sash
For the tabards and sash, I went back to EeanLedgor's tutorial on jedi clothing, where he has a great method for coming up with the measurements required to make yourself a set of tabards. Using his instructions as a base, I lengthened the front portion of the tabards as Atris' run down past the knee, keeping in mind that any seams I ended up with had remain hidden underneath the obi sash.

In the back, it's worth noting that Atris has no visible tabard pieces past the edge of the obi. This means that either they end at the very edge of the obi, or more practically, she tucks them into the waistband of her skirt. I decided to go with the latter because it meant that I would not have to sew the tabards to the obi sash (significant because the sash will have to a closure at the back that will be hidden underneath a false knot and bow). The extra length will also allow me to make sure the tabards remain securely cinched against the small of my back by the obi without slipping.

This is the pattern that resulted from following Eean's tutorial.
Tabard pattern.

I cut out the pieces three times over: once for the front, again for the back and lastly, for a inner structural layer of mid-weight fabric interfacing. I wanted the tabards to remain fairly stiff as Atris has a particularly starchy look to hers. Furthermore, I intended to paint the pattern onto the tabards and I wanted to make sure that the pieces were opaque and firm enough to create a nice stark contrast with the white. I sewed the lower front portion to the shoulder pieces first, then all the way around leaving the back/top edge open so I could flip it inside out. Then I topstitched that closed; didn't really mind the change in stitching appearance as the back end of the tabards will be tucked into my skirt.
Fabric pieces coming together.

I then sewed the obi sash out of the same fabric with an interfacing core layer as well.
Tabards and obi, some still inside out.

Progress: So now I have some tabards to go along with the robes, plus the obi sash to keep it all together. No actual closures at this point: everything is being held in sewing pins. It's starting to look a bit less like a bathrobe, as seen here.

Last edited by Verryn (Laura) on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:38 pm; edited 6 times in total
Verryn (Laura)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, I was pretty much done the entirety of the sewing required for this outfit. The only thing missing is the bow and false knot on the back of the obi sash. I'm going to derail the train here a little bit, because what makes or breaks Atris for me is the godforsaken pattern on her tabards.

Extracting the Tabard Pattern
I needed to get my hands on Atris' pattern for the tabards, and not just any pattern; I wanted the exact lines to the last detail. What better place to go and get this than from the game textures themselves. Easy peasy, right? I mean, I already own the game, so how hard can it be to go and get one grubby texture file? Hardest thing would be finding out what it's named.

Ends up, that's actually a whole ordeal in itself. It took me 1.5 hours to extract the texture map I needed.
Atris' texture map.

Well, that's done! All I have to do now is go ahead and trace out the pattern and I got me a reference I can use to fabric paint my tabards, right? Nope! If you look carefully at the texture map, you'll see that the pattern actually doesn't actually tile. I mean, it must have at some point, but whoever applied it didn't bother using those properties. Which means, I had to go through and carefully cut through this texture file and piece together what the pattern might look like.

It looked a bit like this after I grabbed enough sections to give myself a starting point for tracing it out.
Texture pieces together.

Now's the hard part. I had to figure out exactly where the seams were for the tile. Easiest way to do was to go ahead and start drawing it out and eventually, lines will started to seem familiar.
Tracing the texture.

The pattern does indeed tile, and quite nicely in fact. After several hours, I came up with this.
Atris' pattern tile.

Painting the Tabard Pattern
Seeing as I lacked an embroidery machine and the fine motor skills required to go ahead and embroider the pattern onto the tabards (one day my crappy sewing skills will be good enough that I will feel comfortable to attempt that endeavour) I decided to paint the patterns onto the fabric.

To do this, I used countless hours of my life (in exchange for my sanity), some fine detail brushes (a roundm fine-point and a straight edged flat brush), chalk transfer paper and Pebeo Setacolor opaque fabric paint in the colour grey.

With the chalk transfer paper underneath the paper I had printed my pattern out, I began to trace each and every detail with the back of a paint brush, effectively marking the lines onto the fabric. Then, using the fabric paint, I painted overtop the lines.

Here it is about halfway through.
Fabric painting.

Once done, I let the paint dry fully, then stuck the whole piece of fabric onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and popped that into a preheated oven at 300 F. I allowed it to sit for five minutes. Watch it like a hawk! Do not for one moment take your eyes off of the fabric if you go this route.
Baking fabric.

The second it was done, I took it out immediately and hung it aside to cool off, using some clean tongs as the fabric was incredibly hot.
Safety first.

Progress: I now had some tabards that distinctly resembled Atris, like so.

Obi Bow
Atris has a very distinctly square knot and bow at the back of her obi sash. Understandably, this could be again due to the low polygon count in her model, but I decided to stay true to the design. In fact, this decision served the purpose of hiding the closure at the back of the obi.
Obi closure.

The bow itself, as seen above, is a separate piece. In fact, the "knot" and bow are also two-piece: a loop of fabric and a large rectangle gathered together to create a very boxy, Sailor Moon-style bow. This means the loop can be slid onto the obi sash and then pulled into place overtop the edge to trick the eye into thinking the sash is one distinct piece.
Bow loop on sash.
Sash done up.

Progress: With the tabards done, to get ready I just need to throw them over the shoulders and ensure that the seam in the front lines up with the waistband of the skirt or is at least within the obi width, as so. The back of the tabards get tucked into the skirt to keep them in place.

The sash on top cleans it all up and hides any seams. Front. Back.

Boots
The final missing portion is Atris' boots. While going through her textures and reference shots, I noticed that there was a distinctly black sole to her boots, which I interpreted to be something akin to combat boots. Luckily enough, Amazon.com came to the rescue and I was able to find just that.

White combat boots with a black sole. Here's what they look like, seen in the reference. Notice the sole.
Here's the boots I bought, entirely unmodified. These things are ridiculously comfy! Thanks Amazon!

There you have it! My Atris from start to finish. Please let me know what you guys think and drop any comments/critique!

Last edited by Verryn (Laura) on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work on that pattern! And thanks for sharing for anyone interested in Atris. Very Happy Mind if this is linked in the tutorial section?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Verryn (Laura)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! I don't mind at all! Link away!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
MsVal313 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being so detailed. This is my next project!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Other Named Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: