Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f657deaf9ba53a26bdd818aa108f2412Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tabards & Obi - easy way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leroni (Leroni)
Lothal Base XO
Lothal Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Tabards & Obi - easy way Reply with quote

Hello,
i want to show you an easy way to create your Tabards & Obi. It will fit during the whole trooping day.

the width of tabards:
children 10-15 cm (4" - 6")
woman 15-18 cm (6"-7")
men 18-20 cm (7"-8") (Korrektur)

Take the width of the tabards 2 times and cut /tear the cloth. To tear the cloth makes sure that it will be straight. The lenght is up to you (read the costume standards), i use for woman min. 2 meter (79").
Fold the cloth to the half (long side) and sew it.

Turn the inside out and iron the seam. now you have 3 hose. 2 times for tabards, 1 time for obi. fold the edges inside and sew it.

Now fold the tabards to half and fix a press-button. The other side of the press-button will be fixed at the outer tunic. i always take the female to the outer tunic and the male to the tabards. that makes it possible to mix the outfit.

Now the tarbards would form an X so you need to make a tuck to bring them to Y position. Take 2-3 cm (~8,0"-1") and fold the cloth on the outside of the Tabard. You will see the Y form

Finish the obi with velcro.

And here are your Y Tabards. Fix them together with some stitches in the middle (under the obi) and have fun with your jedi.

http://www.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-standards-generic/
Quote:
2. Tabards: Must extend at least to or past the bottom hem of the OT on the front. The back tabards may end under the obi or may extend to (or past) the bottom hem of the OT (or may be the same length as the front tabards). This guideline is obviously for the more traditional length OTs. For OTs that are longer (past the knee or to the floor or where a full length skirt is worn), the tabard length would be more variable.

a. Tabard construction should be such that the front tabards do not overlap. This is often accomplished by constructing the tabards in a “Y” formation where any seam joining the tabard below the obi to the tabard above the obi is covered by the obi. Tabards may cross in the back. Tabards may be sewn together in the back.

b. Scarf-style tabards, having an around-the-neck design, are permitted.

c. A single front tabard, centrally located (covering the crotch area) is permitted.

d. The end of the front tabard(s) may have a variable design (square, rounded, triangular, octagonal, etc.)

e. Tabards may have borders and/or varying decorative symbols or other decorations (such as Aurebesh, etc.). The decorations/designs should not obviously be from an Earth-bound period or culture (Renaissance, Celtic, Asian, tribal, etc.)

f. Leather or pleather tabards are permitted.

g. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder and be a similar width as the obi. A general width to use would be 5 inches to 6 inches wide (depending on one’s height and build). Common sense should be used in selecting Tabard width, and the width should be proportional to the costumer’s body.

h. Kataginu are not permitted.

3. Obi (Sash): The obi wraps around the waist, and should be approximately three times the width of the belt and/or of a similar width as the tabards.

a. Obi closures (Velcro, snaps, etc.) should not be visible.

b. Leather or pleather Obi are permitted.

c. Obi may have borders.

Wretched Hive Detachment Merchandise Officer 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

Last edited by Leroni (Leroni) on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
dannv ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the tabbard widths are too wide. They should not extend past the edge of the shoulder tuck. 6 to 7 inches for a male is usually plenty (my latest are 7 inches and I have relatively wide shoulders.) Tabbards and obi should be of similar width and 6 inches is usually good for the obi.

Last edited by dannv () on Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Milla Sayven ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you put anything inside the tube to hold the shape?

Have you ever danced with the krayt dragon in the pale moonlight?
Leroni (Leroni)
Lothal Base XO
Lothal Base XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milla Sayven wrote:
Do you put anything inside the tube to hold the shape?

Hello Milla,
no i dont put anything inside.
i use cotton and linen. these materials (double layer) are strong enough to look fine. if you use thin material you can fill it. i have a material for this case i can iron to the fabric.

yours
Leroni
Wretched Hive Detachment Merchandise Officer 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

trinlea ()

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is EXACTLY how I was going to construct my tabards, and also plan on showing a friend the same way!
Hinotori ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the easiest way to make tabbards Very Happy
Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Tabard Attachments Reply with quote

I have used wide hook and loop tape on my husband's tabards to hold them in place. He has sloping shoulders that make it hard to keep the tabards in from sliding off. I also built up the shoulders a bit with the shoulder tucks. The only problem with using the Velcro is keeping the attachment stitches hidden on the underside of the tabard and still being strong enough for the pulling when they are removed. It also is not as easy to switch them to other tunics unless you use the same method. But, with his sloping shoulders, it is a bit of a challenge.
Yavin4 (Michael Avalos)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im so glad I stumble across this threed. Im getting ready to build my generic Jedi and I have been doing a lot of research. Thanks for making this post it helps a lot.

"That's no moon, it's a space station!"
Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the best way to create tabards with the single front piece? Should it be split in front but fasten together or maybe a solid piece that attaches to the upper "y" under the obi? Any thoughts?
dannv ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flap in front is actually there to cover a specific costume that isn't really generic. There are regular arguments to not allow it. I'd be careful making one, you may be asked to split it if you can't show the same costume type (generic Jedi) with the single apron front in a Lucas/Disney licensed source.
Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm confused. The guidelines says that a single front "crotch covering" tabard is permitted for a generic Jedi. What character is likely to be considered appropriate for this style of tabard?
dannv ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the discussion on the Standard last time, probably none with the tabbards and obi over an OT. Do you know of visual references for it?
Orissa Erte ()

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't actually think of a visual reference for the one piece front tabard. I just thought it would make an interesting design with a little customization. Oh well.
jennyruth ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
From the discussion on the Standard last time, probably none with the tabbards and obi over an OT. Do you know of visual references for it?

I'm also confused about this, as I know of two ladies who were recently approved with this style tabard. There's no point in having inconsistencies in approval or standards, as it shouldn't be in the standards for a generic if it's not approvable. This needs definitive clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: