Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=321112c797a5ce056bc27bc2386b3430Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sabine Season 3 WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
semullen ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Sabine Season 3 WIP Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have begun work on my season 3 Sabine Wren. I used Simplicity 8435 bodysuit pattern to draft the pattern for the flight suit top. I am using a scuba knit form Joann's. I have cut the fabric and laid out the fabric pieces below. (I included a white remnant for color reference since the lighting isn't great.)

I should be able to sew this up this weekend. I am not looking forward to that curve on the back... I am going to begin drafting the sleeve next. In the proposed CRLs for Sabine Season 3, there is mention a outer short sleeve. I think this look is more authentic for Mandalorians and want to use it for my build. If for some reason that part of the CRL is not approved, would it be an issue if I made my sleeves that way?

Also, what fabric did other Sabines use for the pants? I am having trouble finding fabrics with the right stretch content and accurate colors, help me!
Charlemagne (Charli)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's looking really good! I'm not a Sabine, but I love the idea that you used the scuba fabric.

May I ask what's got you nervous about the curved seam?
semullen ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

That is making me nervous because I have found that when matching curved like that, one fabric tends to gather under the presser foot. It is also way too easy to get excess fabric under the needle if I don't constantly move it out of the way. There is a good chance I am going to hand-wheel that entire curve.
Ritin Kornas ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semullen wrote:
Thank you!

That is making me nervous because I have found that when matching curved like that, one fabric tends to gather under the presser foot. It is also way too easy to get excess fabric under the needle if I don't constantly move it out of the way. There is a good chance I am going to hand-wheel that entire curve.

Oh I know this feelings very much! Can also be problematic when sewing a curve this the same fabric :s

Good luck !!!
AliyaJ (Aliya Buist)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

semullen wrote:
Thank you!

I've found lifting the presser foot every few stitches and stretching the concave curve slightly help a lot. Smile I also usually have the convex curve on top so I can watch the material more closely. Lots of pins! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I was able to set some sewing done this (but not as much as I had hoped). I was able to stitch the bodice front and back and sew them together. I mentioned before I wanted to look of 2 sleeves for my Sabine. I really didn't the bulk of 2 double knit sleeves at the armhole sleeves so instead i added a false second sleeve instead. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I was able to make exactly 1 sleeve before life got in the way. I hope to add the other sleeve and collar next. weekend.

I started to look for pants material and am having issues finding fabrics that match her color, especially the lighter color. I ordered these swatches online. The dark one is a twill Jetset and the lighter one is stretch denim. I tried to take the picture in natural light to give a more accurate idea of the colors.

I was looking to see what types of boots wear for Sabine and I saw the Anne Klein Durwyn mentioned a few times so I looked it up online and bought a pair for fairly cheap ($35). They are really comfortable, but I am not dare about the neoprene in the back. Is this boot approvable for RL?

I am on and off terrified of this build so any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: