Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0ab54bdabd97df93dbc60451b58707ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Vera's Jyn Erso Build (scarf finished 07/03/17)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took Jyn out for a test run during our Science Center's Star Wars night. I just barely got the vest wearable the night before and I still have some work to do on it (that and everything else), so here's what it looks like so far. I can't wait until I finish my wig, that might not get done until Celebration.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket progress update. Mock-up is going real well, until I get to sleeves, that is. I'm using Cassian's jacket to fill in the blanks on Jyn's jacket. The only difference I know of for sure is he has buckles on the back half of his hem to cinch in the jacket more, while she has what looks like darts in the front of hers, so presumably that's the different fitting methods they used between the male and female versions of the jacket. I don't know if her jacket has more shaped panels, but I'll go with the more blocky 70's look and just put in the couple darts. I also have to change what I did with the bi-swing placket thing on the back shoulder because I found new evidence of the shape after I patterned and mocked it up. Of course.

Current Build Thread: Jyn Erso: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79953
rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting in my sewing room is rather harsh, but I think I'm on the right track. Need to see it in daylight and I'll adjust my formula from there.

I have a lightweight cotton twill I was worried was too light, since standards say it's heavier. I ordered a heavier 'brushed canvas' but it feels about the weight of bull denim... doesn't crease as nice as the lighter stuff, so I might stick with the lighter for now. I also got in a silk screening kit to try the stripes out.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bueller? Bueller?

Ah, well....

I finally finished dying my jacket fabric til I got something I was happy with. The color seems to change dramatically between pictures. The color is a mix between gray, green, and blue, and it seems to come from the cyan end of the spectrum. Some pics are very grayed out, some are very blue, others are rather green. I finally got a color I'm happy with, but spent the last hour and a half trying to get my camera to show the true color. This is a little bolder than the real thing, it should be a little grayer/duller in person.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Shea_Wars ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Frye Veronica boots, I am unable to tell if you got the dark brown or if you bought the black. Because Jyn's boots are so dirty it's sorta hard to tell in pictures and i have yet to see them up close and in person. I don't wanna get the wrong color boots. (I am on the last leg of my costume, wig and boots, and i don't wanna get them wrong.)
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definitely the Dark Brown color Smile They darkened lot of things in post-production, but they are brown.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to talk to myself some more...

Well, I was extremely disappointed in how Celebration was ran, both the BS costume contest, and that Celebration did not bring in *ANY* Costumes or props to the show. There was a cool Millennium Falcon hallway, but that was taken over by the Celebration Live people. In fact, the only good thing about the show was every single thing to do with the Rebel Legion and 501st people (save that one jerk at the Bash...)

But, Anovos did bring their display. The lady I talked to, when I was discussing the jacket was being a bit snobby about the fact that they got to work with the real thing and they know the color was right because they had the pantone color, which she couldn't share. So I said Frak 'Em and brought my Pantone guide the next day. I couldn't hold the cards right up to the fabric and I don't know how well the lighting was, but I saw a color in this range.

She kept insisting it was an Olive. Olive has more noticeable yellow to it, I would say the color is a CYPRESS. Leaning slightly in the blue end of the spectrum like I thought, and with black muting it down. It was a very muted shade, which I've had trouble getting with my dyes.

My jacket color seems to change depending on the lighting, but it came out more blue than I want. I'm going to do more samples with added green and more black. My first rushed attempted at screen printing (another remark about it being a "rubberized print", not screen print... uuuuh, how the hell am I supposed to do that?) failed, I either didn't put the emulsion on correctly or didn't expose it to the right light, so I'll take my time and try again on jacket 2.0. To get this done for Celebration, I fused Wonder Under to some suede leather I had, cut it in strips, then cut them down further into little strips. I nipped the corners so they weren't so sharp. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the shape, I just need to make another version after I figure out the color.

Mine is a tad darker and greener than I could capture with my camera :p

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definiteley not talking to yourself, I follow your w.i.p. with great interest and admiration for your accuracy, and I am surely not the only one.

I did not attend celebration, but I think I saw the same Millenium Falcon "stage prop" last year at Celebration Europe, and that was made by the amazing Belgium Prop Builders, I believe!
(The Tie Fighter is by the German Project X1 crew, by the way).

Back to topic, thank you for sharing your "investigative" information!
Your jacket is impressive already, and the leather pieces look great for a interim solution, maybe even better than some paint job!

Rebel Legion - Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive Detachment //
501st Legion - Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan Det. (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps Det. (Adm. Daala flightsuit)
BroadSword (Marcus)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really great and well researched. I don't suppose you would do a commission? My wife is really good at sewing, but is disabled so it's painful for her to do the work. I'd like to surprise her so I"m looking around.

Keep up the great work!
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroadSword wrote:
Looks really great and well researched. I don't suppose you would do a commission? My wife is really good at sewing, but is disabled so it's painful for her to do the work. I'd like to surprise her so I"m looking around.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Smile I'm afraid I don't do commissions, I barely have time to keep up with my own work!

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the scarf. I dyed the fabric myself. I used my antique Singer treadle machine for the topstitching, it gave a nicer topstitch with heavier thread than my modern machine did!

I want to wash it a bunch of times and add some weathering to it, but I'm pretty happy with it.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scarf looks amazing.

In terms of ageing it, i found washing it whilst loosely tied in a knot helped.

Well done
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing big, finally finished painting this up this weekend.

I used the Traywick designs 3D Print, and after filler primer, used the Kryolan Hammered Metal paint on it. For the black bulb part, I just used black gloss enamel topped by a gloss glaze coat. For the button I airbrushed Testor's red paint and topped with glaze, but I'd like to find an acrylic piece to put there. I brushed a little watered down black in the grooves (might add more), and for weathering I mixed brown and black acrylic paint, dry brushed it in wear areas, and rubbed it in with my fingers.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a bunch of progress to post.

I finished the gloves today. I'm a bit annoyed at how large these are. These are the "Extra Small", but, story of my life, they don't make products small enough to actually fit me. I took them in in the fingers, in the sides, I trimmed a bit of the palm that overlaps to the front to make it smaller, but it's still oversized. I also have to hit the left glove with more dye, for some reason it didn't take the dye the same as the right. I sewed most of it with my singer treadle and it went through it like butter.

My wig has been going slowly, but I'm getting faster, and I'm spacing my knots out more, it's a bit thick at the base where I started, so I'm trying to thin it out so it's not too bulky. I'm almost to the top of the ear.

Also working on my blaster. It's the 3D print from Traywick designs on Etsy. I'm using a new product from Smooth-On that smooths out the ridges of 3D prints without having to do a lot of filling and sanding. So far it's working well, and nice and smooth. I'm trying to learn how to put aluminum powder in it to help make it more metallic, but not sure if it's metal enough to bother, if I'm going to paint it anyway. We'll see.

rebelshaven.blogspot.com
verdaera.deviantart.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: