Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=79c815b0bf5feddab9b139bdcc2d0801Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth rebel uniform details

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayRay ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Hoth rebel uniform details Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a freelance digital artist, with a hobby of collecting replica items and also creating them.. I own sa few 3D printers and I've spent the last 1-2 years creating 3D models for 3D printing purposes.

I've used photos from the production of ESB to create 3D models of the Hoth rebel uniform details, and uploaded them to my Shapeways account. From there, you now have the option to purchase great looking detailed and polished 3D prints of each of them. I've been using Shapeways more than I've 3D printed items at home over the last year, mainly due to the excellent finish in their polished prints, saving me countless of hours of post-work.

The polished 3D prints typically only need a few thin layers of filler spray after assembling the parts, then they can be base coated, painted and weathered.

Shapeways services are a bit expensive, this is reflected in the cost they charge to 3D print and handle the prints afterwards. But think of it as hours saved by not having to do the job yourself. My "profit" from sales are typically $2-5 on each print, depending on what type of print it is. I will not be giving out copies of my 3D models for free, I've had a few people in the past who's removed my name from the models, claiming them to be their own, so that is the reason why I'm not doing that any longer.

Please see the next post for the Hoth rebel uniform details currently available from my Shapeways account.
RayRay ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel hat "Comm piece":

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XZ73SW98G/hoth-rebel-head-comm

Rebel chest pad:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LKHMJPTY8/hoth-rebel-vest-detail-chest-pad

Rebel glove pad:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DUUYNU62R/hoth-rebel-glove-detail-pad

Rebel vest greeble:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/7NCRXCNUG/hoth-vest-greeble

Hoth belt grenade:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LHGZVAVAP/hoth-rebel-grenade
RayRay ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a 3D print test of the hat comm piece, started yesterday by printing out the parts on my Ultimaker 2 printer. Cleaned up the pieces, sanded and assembled them today. A round of filler spray applied, painted and weathered, this is how it looks now.

Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these pieces! In particular, the weathering is very nice!

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
RayRay ()

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
I've purchased a machine that smooths 3D prints using a fine mist of pure alcohol, planning on doing some test prints at home for the rest of the pieces in this set also. It should save me a lot of time and effort not having to filler spray and prime the prints for hours and days.

Will post the results of the other pieces when they are done.

Toda wrote:
I really like these pieces! In particular, the weathering is very nice!
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty dang sweet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: