Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=11474242f058f7aecf92aed09b9dcdf9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Air & Scare Table Display 2017
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Northern Virginia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bouri-Plwel (Rick Bouwhuis)
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Air & Scare Table Display 2017 Reply with quote

Freedom Base,
We are about two months out now from out big NOVA Air and Scare event at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Va. This year's event will be on 21 October. We will be having our table display and photo ops along with the 501st, Mando Mercs and R2-D2 builders club. For those who have not participated in this event before, it is one of, if not the biggest and largest participated base events we have each year.

It is time now to start planning for this year's event. I will be the table coordinator again and also assisting Lori as an event organizer again for Freedom Base and the RL. Together we will be organizing the photo ops, table volunteers, dressing room procedures, costuming groups etc. as we have in the past years.

The first thing we need to decide and design is our table display for this year....for the past 3 years we moved to a costume display featuring costumes from all of the different detachments as much as we could....mostly finished products but a couple in progress. props and accessories that accompany those specific costumes. We have been concentrating on the costuming aspect of the club vs. just having random "stuff" on the table for people to look at....trying to make it a real recruiting tool. We can either do that again this year or come up with a new idea to work for.

For this to be successful, it needs to be BASE effort. For the past 3 years I have supplied the MAJORITY of items and costumes for the displays and tables using all my own costumes and props. Last year we had a much bigger turn out to help with transportation, setup and tear down than previous years. I will need that same support again this year as I cannot do that all by myself.....I need help from the participants this year. I also need more donations from people to provide items for the table to display so I can actually wear a rebel costume for a change that I have not been able to do in the past few years.

We will need to update and get printed new promotional materials for the table.....someone will need to step up to take care of this....maybe the Base CO or someone can help out in this capacity. It may require funds donations to get things printed....more to come if that will be necessary.

We will set up a schedule for table duty. Please everyone volunteer for a shift so a few people are not stuck at the table all the event. We really want to spread the responsibilities so everyone will have the opportunity to enjoy everything the troop has to offer.....table duty, photo ops, interaction with children, walking around in costume, etc.

So lets start throwing out some ideas about what you would like seen done this year for our display!!!! I look forward to another GREAT event this year!!!

"It was an honor just to be nominated!"
"Remember - You are UNIQUE....Just like everyone else!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base CO
Freedom Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can bring my torso mannequins as well as my Naboo Officer for Display, and my Jedi, along with various props.
I will most likely be wearing my Kanan, RFT and Gunner while I am there.
In the way of props, I will have my various sabers, Han Solo blaster, Bail Organa blaster.

I have a TON of trifolds left over from Awesomecon as well as the Orange FAQ flyers.

we will need trading cards for the tables and since we havent done a run of the tattoos, I will bring what I have left.

I also have a bunch of the bookmarks I believe.

I liked seeing the display from the previous years with the detachment signs set out with the appropriate costumes, and then the big screen behind the table with laptops on the ends.

It would be GREAT if we had the Action figure backdrop so that we can stand that up next to the table area and have photo ops there as well as either the Tantive or Falcon backdrop in key areas.

Joel Webne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Npask82 (Nick Pasquariello)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,

I'm fully expecting a negative response here but will attempt the question anyway. As far as trading cards go. Are there any options outside of the legion level ones? That is such a tough run to get in on. Are there no base/detachment level ones? I know the printer that I used for my Tank Commander had them to me in less than a week from ordering.

I'd offer to make a frame for us but I have no skillz with the graphics.

-break-

Rick, just like last year I'll be available to help with set up and I don't mind putting the Resistance Pilot Helmet on the table like at AwesomeCon especially if we can but both Liberty 1 & Liberty 2 next to each other for both generations of FB designs
Freedom Base
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base CO
Freedom Base CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Npask82 wrote:
Joel,

I'm fully expecting a negative response here but will attempt the question anyway. As far as trading cards go. Are there any options outside of the legion level ones? That is such a tough run to get in on. Are there no base/detachment level ones? I know the printer that I used for my Tank Commander had them to me in less than a week from ordering.

-break-

Rick, just like last year I'll be available to help with set up and I don't mind putting the Resistance Pilot Helmet on the table like at AwesomeCon especially if we can but both Liberty 1 & Liberty 2 next to each other for both generations of FB designs

So this isnt really a negative response. Yes there are options for trading cards outside the legion ones. Other Bases do them within the base, but there are requirements for them to be separate from the Legion Level ones.
Making the frame for it really isnt the problem, its having the persons to do the graphics work on the cards itself.
I dont know how many persons within the base are able to do the masking and background work like what we do with the Legion ones, besides myself.
If we could get a frame for the cards, I dont mind assisting with getting some done and then sending the final version in PDF form to the member for printing, but I cant do it all by myself.

Joel Webne
Skywalker2B ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a lot of my and my daughter's cards.

The temp tattoos are always a big hit with the kids.
Shivannd (Joel Webne)
Freedom Base CO
Freedom Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywalker2B wrote:
I still have a lot of my and my daughter's cards.

The temp tattoos are always a big hit with the kids.

The issue with the tattoos is that we didnt get a lot of response to doing more for some reason.
So all we have left is all

Joel Webne
treblemaker (Carly Kennedy)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could we do stickers for kids? Not big ones like for putting on bins, maybe 1" or smaller? Seems like that could be even less hassle/expense than temp tattoos.

My friend Jaimie (paperfingers) has just started handling with us in NoVA but hasn't made an intro post yet. She said she can help with trading card graphics as long as we take photos in front of a solid background.

Note: I don't really have anything to offer for display as I've currently just got the one costume and no additional props. Happy to chip in on funds for promo materials. I was wondering about flyers, I've got some pdfs but they're all black and white only, unless they're specific to a particular costume. Is there a nice color flyer option or maybe we could even make one specific to Freedom Base?
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys! Hope you don't mind me lurking but I hope to help this event with collaboration of Galactic Academy families in Pa, Md and Va.

re- trading cards - I made one for Ghost Base, and am revising our design. All you need to do is run it by our LPRO. Of course we are now in a PR audit, and in a few days we will be in election time, so it might be hard to pull this off before the event, but I think it is worth the try. Trading cards are a great recruiting and goodwill item.
***Galactic Academy Cadets have their own trading card design and artist. All he needs is a good front photo and their Cadet number, School, and nickname.

re- stickers - I have an online outlet that makes 3" square "economy stickers" - we use them for Galactic Academy logos. 1,000 stickers for $38 plus shipping. You really can't beat that. I will bring a stack of GA stickers down to the event, but you might want to run this by our LMerchO.

Hope this helps. Air and Scare was great last year. I have a Jawa trading booth we use for Galactic Academy. There isn't much to it now but this weekend we will put some more oomph into it and bring it to Air and Scare. I would like to use this for the GA kids, though, and their parents.
Jon-Ari_Kenobi (John Dittmyre)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shivannd wrote:
Npask82 wrote:
Joel,

-break-

So this isnt really a negative response. Yes there are options for trading cards outside the legion ones. Other Bases do them within the base, but there are requirements for them to be separate from the Legion Level ones.
Making the frame for it really isnt the problem, its having the persons to do the graphics work on the cards itself.
I dont know how many persons within the base are able to do the masking and background work like what we do with the Legion ones, besides myself.
If we could get a frame for the cards, I dont mind assisting with getting some done and then sending the final version in PDF form to the member for printing, but I cant do it all by myself.

If we got a frame for it and the formatting was pretty easy I could probably churn them out at a steady pace,

Joel could you maybe send me formatting from a previous RL trading Card and I can try and see how I do?

treblemaker wrote:
Could we do stickers for kids? Not big ones like for putting on bins, maybe 1" or smaller? Seems like that could be even less hassle/expense than temp tattoos.

Is there a nice color flyer option or maybe we could even make one specific to Freedom Base?

We have to be careful with stickers as they can end up being stuck places that the museum might not want. Then we get held responsible, we haven't done stickers at conventions for a long time because they actually have a rule in place, The Smithsonian doesn't yet I believe but I would stay on the safe side and maybe think of something else.

That's why we do the tattoos because there is less chance of them being stuck to stuff.

The other thing you have to keep in mind is we have to make sure we have enough for everyone, and last year I think they saw around 20,000 people at this event. Big reason why we don't do candy or anything, our primary "handout" are the pictures they get to take with us, everything else is optional thus we don't have to have such high amounts. Once you get past us being there for the kids, our other reasons are to be seen and to possibly recruit so all our handouts beyond the photos for the most part are geared towards club info and such.

Leading that into your other question, way back in the heyday we had a LOT of Base specific swag, fliers, n so forth. We cut down on it because our base borders changed twice. We still have business cards that list North and South Carolina as part of our base and they are Blue Ridge now, With West Virginia potentially splitting off here soon again, we are hesitant to do large quantities of base oriented print material as the moment West Virginia decides to try again to form a base, we then are stuck with whatever we ordered.

Which is why we have stuck to Legion materials, no matter the base, that stuff doesn't change much.

We were at one point trying to make it so the flyers could be personalized (the costume trifolds) so the front image is at least of the member printing them.

Base specific stuff can work on some levels like members only wearable swag, but when it comes to distributable stuff, you'll spend less money sticking to the Legion print Material as not a lot of custom work has to be done there and we won't waste money on stuff that could potentially change at anytime in the foreseeable future,

https://www.facebook.com/RL.FreedomBase.ObiWan
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been handing out RL stickers for the past 3 years....I have the roll at my house....and we can still do base specific stuff I think....just don't print the state names on them

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone confirm if we will have the laptop and TV screen again?
Freedom Base
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Costigan has always provided the large TV screen and frame. I do not know if he is attending this year or not. He has been pretty busy (especially on weekends) with his band playing. I will reach out to him. There are several of us with laptops to bring and use

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I know you are well aware, so this post is mostly for everyone else. Some of the Liberty Squadron got together a few weeks ago and did a micro photoshoot and we have been working on turning the results into marketing material for Liberty Squadron. Our intent is to display these on a slideshow display at the Air & Scare table if possible.
Freedom Base
Neil Uma-Yann (Neil Umayam)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill is not coming to Air and Scare this year. So Galen Marek will go it alone this year without Kota.

I can loan out a couple EL Lightsabers for the table this year. EL Lightsabers can run on for the whole event.
midichlorianlori (Lori Frye)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jawa on a dress form and a Salacious Crumb puppet that sits on a small kids chair if you want to use either of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Freedom Base -> Freedom Base Events -> Northern Virginia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: