Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=34a32b85a9c5852d3530b31713287024Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Padme Amidala Headpiece Tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Padme Amidala Headpiece Tutorial Reply with quote

While I was researching this costume, I had a lot of difficulty finding How To's on the head piece. I went ahead and did a quick photo tutorial of how I made mine for anyone interested in it. This was my first time working with Polly Plastic/Worbla and I really enjoyed it.

I started off by trying to find the best reference shots of the headpiece possible.

I figured I would need a pattern to mold to my head so I grabbed some spare craft foam I had lying around and set about making it. I used both the above photos and photos from other members costumes as a reference.

I also measured the distance from one side of my head to the other (hitting the ears) and used that as the base length for my pattern.

I did my best to make it as Art Nouveau as possible. We don't really get a good shot of the back of her piece at all so I was winging that area. I was trying to get the design of it in the front to match as closely as I could.

Once I had the general shape I needed, I cut the pattern out of the craft foam and molded it to my head to make sure everything hit where I needed it to. I held it in place with bobby pins while I figured everything out.

I also measured the length of my ears and from where I roughly wanted the pieces to connect to each other. Padme's ears don't show at all so I needed to make sure I had enough length to allow for that as well as to hold the hair in place.

I also tried the craft foam pattern on with the hair extensions I was planning on using. This helped a lot for me to cut and adjust the pattern as needed.

My Worbla wasn't arriving in a timely manner so I ended up finding this Polly Plastic on Amazon that (with Prime) arrived in one day.
https://www.amazon.com/Polly-Plastics-Moldable-Plastic-Sheets/dp/B01MQMNV3P/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502996814&sr=8-4&keywords=worbla

I ended up using one full sheet for the headpiece and a portion of a second sheet for the ear pieces.

I took my craft foam pattern and traced it on to the plastic and then cut it out. The plastic was pretty thick and it took awhile to get all the little details cut out but I was pleased with how well it looked when cut out.

I was able to cut out the base design using regular scissors but the more intricate areas weren't working that way. I ended up purchasing a razor blade from WalMart and used that to cut the smaller pieces and also to shave it down to make it more refined.

The plastic was incredibly pliable. After I cut everything out, I rolled it into a small circle and clipped it closed with hair clips and let it sit overnight. When I unrolled it the next day, it perfectly curled around my head.

I used a hairdryer on high to melt the plastic on the ear portion and molded it to the headpiece. It cooled very quickly and was easy to mold. I was surprised at how easy it was to move around.

Once I had the shape refined, I spray painted it with silver paint and let it sit overnight. It came together very quickly once I figured out how to work the plastic.

The hairstyle is pretty simple. I braided my own hair back and clipped it into a small bun. I then added the ponytail clip on over it. For the side portions of the hair, I purchased 2 small curly wrap around hair pieces. I pinned them to the sides of my head and then pulled the ear pieces over the hair and voila! Instant headpiece!

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme, Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Royalty & Senatorial Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: