Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fc5d04d8911eaa5f00bf58e36d01afe3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Standards Revision: Endor Briefing Room Leia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Standards Revision: Endor Briefing Room Leia Reply with quote

With the new costume book some photos of the pouches have emerged that seem to indicate they are leather not twill- as this has been a discussion on the boards I wanted to make an official topic to discuss potentially revising the standards for this costume. This would include then changing the pouches for the Endor Commando Gear Leia as well.

Here is a photo of the costume from the costume book which seems to show the pouches are in fact leather and not twill as previously thought: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/42/2e/03/422e0323e35ea3c99948123aa989c7f1--star-destroyer-star-wars-costumes.jpg

and another photo just to help:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d2/d4/21/d2d42157444ae8dffad89bb6dbcf3af5--leia-costume-princess-leia.jpg

Below are the current standards for the Briefing Room Leia. Red items are suggested removals and Blue are suggested additions

1. Tan or beige shirt, short sleeves reaching almost to the elbow with a wide cuff, folded up with a vented pocket and flap partially sewn to the outside of each sleeve. The pocket can be tucked beneath the cuff or lay over the cuff.
2. Medium gray vest with cap sleeves and decorative topstitching on the right-front and right-back yoke and around the bust.
3. Rank insignia on the front right breast.
4. Cool pale gray or pale blue twill pants, tailored with a natural waist height. A solid burnished yellow or gold non-shiny stripe about 1” wide on each side seam.
5. Low-heeled black leather or leather-like, non-shiny riding boots. Boots must be at least calf-high and loose-fitting; no zippers unless covered.
6. Black watch-like communication device on left wrist.
7. Olive green 2” wide twill belt with a black metal slide in front, one black twill leather pouch on the left front, 2-3 black twill leather pouches in the back and a black leather or non-shiny vinyl holster.
8. DDC Defender short-barrel blaster.
9. Hair in braids wrapped around head with a densely braided figure eight-style bun in back. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-2018)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Loyalist Senate Gown Padme, Mustafar Padme

Photos by Robbins Studios
DayFire (Kelsie Day)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with the change and say leather or leather-like pouches. I've been researching this costume for the last 4 months looking at starting it around Christmas.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with this change. Happy to see this in the works. Leia Buns
ROTJ Leia (complete)
TFA General Leia (complete)
Senatorial Leia (in progress)
Ceremonial Leia (in progress)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
AOTC Corde' (in progress)
Mara Jade (501st Approved)
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to tell on the pictures, even holding the book directly and not with a scan.
I absolutely don't agree this is sure.
There is no clear sign it's fabric neither.

In facts... I would tend to say it could be none of the two but suede. If you have a look at p182 the close up picture of the wrist communicator, the contour of the pouches on the hand is not clear, and seems on my book to have some "fuzzy" things which could be consistant with suede, or maybe distressed fabric but not with leather.
Also if you have a look at the shape, it doesn't hold itself and doesn't seems stiff but really soft. Which would indicated a very thin leather then, or fabric Wink

So for my part, absolutely not convince !
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a more detailed photo of the back pouches:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/d4/21/d2d42157444ae8dffad89bb6dbcf3af5.jpg

Looking at the one on the far right, you can see the flap appears to be made of a softened leather or suede. I wonder about offering either of those materials as an approvable option in that color.

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)

SithLantern (Shawn Todd)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Ladies,

Looking at this and the pictures from that book, first hand, as well as being a leathercrafter, I figured I'd offer my opinion. Looking at it, it does appear to be a thin and softer leather as a few of you have mentioned. But it doesn't appear to be a suede, but more like a weathered pig skin. Pig skin sits somewhere between a suede and a veg tanned leather and is nice and thin and pliable. (some pigskins are categorized in the suede(s) because of their soft exterior)

Something like this:
https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/natural-pigskin
Surface dyed black, then weathered to show the under tanned leather wearing through in edges/wear spots. With a satin shene sealer.
Jedi
Avatar Photo by: Robbins Studios Photography and Fine Art
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are making revisions to the standards for this costume, I would also like to suggest a few edits as well since I am currently working on this build and things have been pointed out to me that need to be done for approval. Smile

First, the buckle of her belt. Joy was very kind and gave me a measurement of 3.5 inches to go against the 2 inch width of the belt. This would help other costumers know that it does need to be significantly bigger than the belt which has a clear measurement listed. The regular buckle that comes with that belt is not the correct size so having a more accurate measurement to go off of would be extremely helpful.

Second, it looks to me like the pouches could also be modded off of old grenade pouches but shaped differently. Could a fabric similar to what is used for those pouches be suggested as well as an alternate?

Third, can we get a more accurate poncho description? What is written now is very vague and doesn't specify the additional side panels that need to be added as well as a better hood description and length on sides needing to reach elbow length etc.

"Camouflage colored poncho with shaped hood, in shades of green, cream and brown. Poncho should reach mid-thigh in front and knee-level in back."

That is what is currently posted and I think it needs to be redone to include the more specific details needed for approval.

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Ewok Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:
Here's a more detailed photo of the back pouches:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d2/d4/21/d2d42157444ae8dffad89bb6dbcf3af5.jpg

Looking at the one on the far right, you can see the flap appears to be made of a softened leather or suede. I wonder about offering either of those materials as an approvable option in that color.

Still not convinced ^^ I mean sure it could be, but there is no reference that make it 100% sure here.

So I think indeed it would be better to get as options processing than all pouches must be either leather, suede or fabric, and only one of those.

Regarding the pig skin, if it's what I think, i was putting it as suede as it would be more in than in French I think. Wink

If this CRL is to be updated, I think more details on the blaster could be nice too, as well as the rank insignia.

Talking about the poncho, why did you not included it Daughter of Alderaan ?

A modification could be for the rank insignia, first more details on how it looks like. And secondly that this item is optional if you were the poncho ?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pig skin would make sense. Smile We know they used pig skin on at least two-three other Leia costumes in ROTJ. Maybe they got a good deal on the stuff. Laughing

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
[quote="Daughter of Alderaan"?

A modification could be for the rank insignia, first more details on how it looks like. And secondly that this item is optional if you were the poncho ?

Sorry, should have clarified. The poncho is optional if you are only submitting Briefing Room Leia. However, if you do Endor Commando Leia, you need the poncho and all the pieces from Briefing Room costume to be approved. Makes sense to me to update the poncho description as well since they go together. Amadalia

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia/Endor Commander Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Ewok Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the poncho is not an option for Briefing Room Leia. It is in fact, a separate costume - Commando Leia. The option for that one (Commando) is the helmet.
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reference I used for my belt, I felt it had the clearest picture of the size, thickness and overall shape:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/5a/b5/d35ab5143b6d585d26fec655f8e1d9e6.jpg

I did not include the poncho as LaVonne said it is a different CRL though they share some costume elements. I made this standard revision proposal after I realized the current standard is lacking detailed description when referencing it to support LeiaAurora's lovely build. Hope this is helpful to all! Leia Buns

Below are the current standards for the Briefing Room Leia. Red items are suggested removals and Blue are suggested additions

1. Tan or beige short sleeved shirt, with the following elements included:
a. sleeves should reach almost to the elbow with a wide approximately 3 inch/7.6 cm cuff folded up
b. each sleeve features a vented pocket (roughly 4 inch by 5 inch/10 cm by 12.7 cm) and flap partially sewn to the outside of each sleeve. The pocket can be tucked beneath the cuff or should lay over the cuff.
c. the collar on the shirt should be loose fitting, and have a pointed shape
d. the shirt should close right over left and lay open to the upper breastbone with no visible snaps or zippers

2. Medium gray vest with cap sleeves. The vest should include the following details:
a. gathering at the waist with a 1.5-2 inch/3.8-5 cm band featuring top stitching around the edges.
b. top stitching approximately 1-1.5 inches/2.5-3.8 cm from the outside edge on both the right and left sides, and 5 decorative topstitches about 1 inch/2.5 cm apart on the right-front (not including the edge top-stitching) and 8 decorative topstitches about 1 inch/2.5 cm apart along the right-back yoke.
c. Two flaps folded upward and top-stitched approximately 0.5 inches/1.25 cm on the front right and left sides of the vest. This should angle down lower closer to the side seams of the vest.
d. a front yoke starting roughly 1 inch/2.5 cm from the top of the flap and angling up toward the sleeve opening
e. a back yoke angling up slightly from the back center point.
f. top stitching around the sleeve seam, front yoke and back yoke is preferred but not required.

3. Rank insignia on the front right breast painted and weathered to match screen references.

4. Cool pale gray or pale blue twill pants, tailored with a natural waist height. A solid burnished yellow or gold non-shiny stripe about 1 inch/2.5 cm wide on each side seam. The pants should fit loosely enough to billow slightly at the top of the boot.

5. Low-heeled black leather or leather-like, non-shiny riding boots. Boots must be at least calf-high and loose-fitting; no zippers unless covered.

6. Black and silver watch-like communication device on left wrist with a black strap. Painted and weathered to match screen references.

7. Olive green 2” wide twill belt with the following details:
a. a black metal slide in front approximately 1.5-2 inch/3.8-5 cm in width and 3-3.5 inches/7.6-8.8 cm in height
b. one black twill non-shiny leather or leather-like pouch on the left front. Pouch should have a boxy shape with curved lower edges and feature a thin (1.5 inch/3.8 cm strap to hold the top in place.
c. 2-3 black twill non-shiny leather or leather-like pouches in the back with no visible snaps and a black leather or non-shiny vinyl holster.

8. DDC Defender short-barrel blaster. X-30 "Lancer" target blast pistol

9. Two braids wrapped around head with a densely braided figure eight-style bun in back. Optional thin tan/beige suede or leather like chording in a wide "x" pattern over the top of each front braid. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

LaV317 (LaVonne)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great seeing all of the wonderful Leia builds!
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my research, I think the pouches are made from the suede side of thin leather, could be pig skin. It's definitely something that is fuzzy. I would be careful with saying leather or leather like, as many will not associate that with the suede side of the leather and use the smooth side. Somewhere I have a black and white photo that shows texture on the pouch. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm also thinking that if we are going to modify the standard to look at the whole costume. This standard was written years ago and there are many things that could use an update.

The front closure on the shirt, for example should not go the whole length of the shirt front. I know there is a name for this type of closure, but I can't remember it at the moment.

You can see the end of the opening clearly in these photos

Also, I think we should treat both versions of this costume as one standard like we did with hoth/bespin. Really they are the same costume plus or minus a few pieces.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad for the commando. But it makes sense indeed to update both at the same time. Specially if we want to cross referred them Wink

Regarding the last proposed standard :

"painted and weathered to match screen references. "
I'm sorry but I hate nothing more than this sentence in standards or CRL, because this doesn't means anything and it's a big source of problem as it depends a lot of interpretation of shape (specially when you don't have good reference pictures included next to the text) and colors, which for the second depends a lot on the source used.

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:

9. Two braids wrapped around head with a densely braided figure eight-style bun in back. Optional thin tan/beige suede or leather like chording in a wide "x" pattern over the top of each front braid. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

Not sure here. As briefing she should not have the leather no ? This leather appears only after she stayed with the ewoks ? So would be an option only for commando ???
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: