Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fc99c6bdd7edb14bc0578bc1816e5e2cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[WIP] Ahsoka, Rebels era.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed the concept art at full scale. What is helpful with these is the flat back. SO we can use the profile as the very first piece to cut.

This is then taped perpendicularly to card that will form the back. Once the frame is taped then it's time to try for shaping the back. This is done by eye which can be a bit off.

To create the sides tape the frame to paper and cut radiating strips out. These offer something for tape to adhere to.

Then these are cut apart and transfered to card for more careful shaping. Keeping the profile shape helps keep this stable as well.

Once taped to the form it is possible to see where shaping needs to happed. As this is a template it's possible to only alter one side.

Here only the left has been altered.

The top seam also can be adjusted. And the entire pice taken off the form.

I have used a similar method previously for my Ahsara Zavros ensemble:

http://www.arrayedindreams.com/2015/01/14/1756854/

I used sheer pantihose to smooth the foam. Urethane foam is lovely and squishy but is fragile. The material also allows minimal seepage of latex into the foam to help keep them fairly soft.

Latex shrinks as it cures to the thinner the layer the better.

This is also how I make all my Twi’lek lekku- skinned foam  Smile It takes patience. latex cures very fast in thin layers.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.

Last edited by neimhaille () on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:17 am; edited 2 times in total
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I didn't share piccies of the hilts in progress!

All the parts are separable. SO I can print them and tidy and tint them before putting together. Printing is great but there are still a few areas where it's best to make it easier to tidy and trim pieces.

So there are also buttons and D ring holders and everything.

The plugin Shape Bender is great but it does create errors so I went through and checked every surface and edge.

And this is where I am at now. The hilts will be printed vertically so to avoid warping they are all 10cm or shorter. It took a fair bit of work to make them able to be cut like this due to the grip section, I had to add the curves in after bending so that was done by hand. Each section of the curve, made 1mm guides, 10 each corner!

So now I have some spray adhesive and it's sunny so today could be lekku building. I could also cut my tunic and arms pieces. I also need to template the belt, the bracers and hand plates.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started crying today after all the wasted work. But today I have finally managed to cut the hilts ready for printing, create overlaps edges to help connect the pieces after printing, and get a curve and tidy all the errors the curving makes!!!!
So i had a mix of my own mistakes with errors from a plugin. But both were finally conquered.

Those nested instances are not an error, they are because I have cut the hilts up to print faster and more reliably Smile This is how I made my Ventress hilts and they printed very fast indeed Smile

To make this printable I need to align all those pieces to the right axes and try to make them close enough to fit as much on the plate as possible and far enough apart to not cause errors with the print head moving back and forth!
Then export as an OBJ, then parse it through a slicer (I'm using Cura as it's very reliable) and then convert.
I'll need to move and recalibrate the printer, then test , and finally use the files! Hopefully these will be possible to do in two files not three but given all the accessories that's not a given.

So now I can actually rest and start work on the rest of the costume! I have managed to get my workroom better arranged for my printer and for latex and leatherwork at least Smile It needs tidying but now it's okay to do that.

If the files work I will release them for others.Smile

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed with the work done on these. I'm sure the end result will be worth the frustration and tears. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol! I hope so Smile The lekku extensions have been added. The temperature and humidity changed so tomorrow I go back to the workroom with the fan heater on.
I'm using the same method as I used for my Ashara lekku:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EhIssLXH0U[/youtube]

So there is a bit of care needed in making it neat, right now I can see where the latex is wet so I have to keep back.

But I did manage to get a tiny bit of video of trimming the seams! In my case actual seams, there are stitches that I latexed over and through Smile
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-786Mt1GLY[/youtube]

I know Pam mentions using a dremel to tidy seams so I thought I'd get video of what to expect Smile That is a felt polisher and I used speeds of 8-10. It does fling off small nubs of hot latex which will stick to hair and clothing, so definitely wear a coverall and mask and eye protection. I'll be stippling latex over the join and will probably mix in some cabosil as well if I need to fill in slightly deeper divots.

I managed to hot wet form leather of a good solid thickness to be self supporting so I'll get some more for these pieces. My arthritis means I not only have to be careful of my hands but of my shoulders and ribs, and stretching leather on forms requires all those things Smile So finding an easy "recipe" for this was great.
Basically you need to soak the pieces whole in hot water right on the very extreme of tolerance. Once the leather stops expressing bubbles it's possible to stretch. But the temperature here is still low enough that the leather cools very quickly so it's still a matter of timing Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to replace the set of montral. They could be reused by someone shorter than me.

Not so short people would care but I do Smile

So I cut the neck off my older headcast and managed to tape her on to a mannequin

My neck is much longer, but I needed to set the chest height to match my chin. So. It's very weird looking.

So new lekku and new montral were assembled yesterday and hopefully I can get them done this week after all.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the curse of being a perfectionist. But it will be amazing in the end. Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very lucky that an order for more supplies went through yesterday and it arrived this morning Smile And despite forgetting what side I was working on for one element... I have a beautiful lekku of good lenth.
And a pattern Smile

There is a new cast in the molds but the weather just turned cooler as soon as the last brush mark was laid up so... well. I tidied my studio specifically to be able to leave her mold where it is right now Smile

I should have waited but I have been working with an imperfect cast.

Health has been very.... blah but walking is getting easier again so a small trip to get more sponges and bits should be possible today too Smile

And then I can see if the russet is going to be easy to tool. looking at wetforming the belt a little as it just scoops a little at the side. That could be done with darts but I am a bit worried about the skirt pieces moving and showing it.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yes, all lekku made, got the leather pieces cut as well Smile not my greaves, I have the patterns still in my hand bag so...whoops, nope, they must already have been brought out.. I need to wear my glasses more often...

Still need to tidy and trim and properly form, but I can do that tomorrow Smile The hip piece is so long that it's really hard to see what it looks like in one go but I made it slightly large so that's fine Smile I Have a flexi-curve maker thing so can use that to tidy as I go Smile

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wide belts have been subtly shaped, my hope is to now soak the lower half and shape them.
The upper belt has been cut too Smile And scraps of my thinner russet located to make the belt ends to hold the ring at the front.

Okay, let's print that as well. I've sort of tried to pretend I do not need to do any printing so have avoided working on the last few greeblies.

I also tested a few more patterns and might, might be able to help out other Ahsoka costumers once all of this has been proof of concept-ed Smile

Sorry for no photos, I need to clear my phone and so need to back up photos and reorganise files Smile

Oh also, tested my itty bitty airbrush with the last skerrick of air in a can and found the ideal latex mix to paint with. Totally worth the effort and wait of getting a new brush and compressor Smile

yesterday was a break to work on fixing my maleficent and Elsa costumes, today is back to Ahsoka Smile

Benae Quee (Kristin Mrozek Sirota)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying watching this come together Very Happy
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile

Today is the day of testing the printer....

*freaks out*

But seriously it's a giant metal thing that heats up in two places and will take several hours to print the pieces.

So I'm starting with the flat greeblies then a hilt at a time Smile Oh poot. I forgot. I seem to have lost the D ring attachment. Time to fix that Smile

Also I started a Convor!!!! *EEEEEEEE* So cute, so soft and fluffy.. so sad. Potentially.

Oh and new Montral and front lekku are going well. Internal support needs to be corrected but it's at the stage of being ready to airbrush a final texture then details Smile Yay!!!

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no photos but I rebuilt the hilts to be able to take a blade for a short distance and then solidified the rest of the walls. So that took a full day.

But I now have stl files to go on my netbook to go on a flash card.

New Lekku progress- they are currently hanging upside down to get some more solid vertical support for the horns.
I want to put some more in to support them vertically as mine now do what most to- which is to stretch outwards as the weight of the outside overloads the V at the top.

A custom mix AA paint that did last a day. It also lays down in a very fine layer so I may be braving using an airbrush for my face.

And I forgot I have the perfect way to get the markings sorted fast. I just needed to capture a different sculpture on my face cast first Smile

As a hint of the capabilities- this is my head cast.. in 3D! Yep photometry Smile I need to use my last few days well of the free trial so I think i know what to scan next. Well my headcast with nothing on it but also one of my earliest sculpts Smile

Anyway that's my head cast with friendly plastic on it. I'm going to try to do a super fine layer over the headcast so I can make a stencil for her face markings Smile Also it may be possible to make sponges in the right shape.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The progress sounds exciting. Very Happy So many things happening.

neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent yesterday making mistakes that need to be fixed, but also might have helped fix an issue in one of my greaves- lots of stretching of hot wet leather. I used water that was too hot on a few pieces but it really did make it perfectly plastic. So I'm trying really hard to find that balance. It's a matter of a few degrees of water temp.

And today i think I found out how to get my printer to recognice my gcode- shorten file name. yep. That's it.

So after a really hot show I'll be turning the heater on in my studio and work on the leather tooling, and the print, and hopefully the heat will help my montral cure as I back filled with latex to help make them stay upright.

It's spring here but it still wants to be winter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: