Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b2c032cd83d71b22b46345afc08a03f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Droids approved on their own

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GigglingGothGirl (Kelly Hawthorne)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Droids approved on their own Reply with quote

Can astromechs like r2-d2, bb-8, and others be approved on their own fully? I know they aren't sentient but I'm wondering if you can still have them RL approved like any other face character/generic Jedi
thanks in advanced
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, it is only for members or prospective members to submit a wearable costume for approval, so it must be a person submitting an appropriate costume.
If it is a Droid costume that is being submitted, the person must be able to completely fit inside the Droid so that it looks like it does in the films or other canon sources.
(For an Astromech, you would need to be the size of Kenny Baker, Jimmy Vee, Warwick Davis, ect..., or be someone that is an amputee or was born without legs that could fit inside of the Droid.)

It is highly unlikely that Droids on their own (such as ones operated by remote control) will ever be granted approval for membership.
Even allowing us Astromech operators to have access to the event planning threads (restricted areas) on the forums here was met with a lot of resistance and debate about approving droids for membership.
All I ever wanted was access to the event threads so I didn't have to constantly bother other members to get up-to-date info on the events.
It took years for the powers that be to grant me that request.

David L.

Last edited by DroidWelder () on Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ritin Kornas ()
Swiss Outpost CO
Swiss Outpost CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's a debate that come back form time to time, and unfortunately, there are still people saying it's not a real costume so don't want to allow it :s
I personally find that stupid, as it would benefit greatly to get them with us :s
And as I will never join R2 builders in their currently super closed club for example. And I know lot don't join them so we tend to loose those people would could bring a lot to the club Sad
Styrofoam_Guy (Alex Kung)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time member of the R2 Builders I find it sad that some people are considering it a super closed club. That is not the intention of the club. It is supposed to be welcoming to all to help them build their own droid.

I am not involved with the approval process so I don't know how many people are trying to join at one point or another or who approves people.

As to the debate of a droid builder not being allowed to be a full member I find that a bit sad. We all love Star Wars and want to promote it. By not allowing us access to all the forums afforded a full member, it feels like being a second class citizen.

I was lucky that the local 501st were more open minded and allowed me access to their forums so I could tell when events were coming out so I would hang out with them.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic comes up on a regular basis. In past discussions, it became readily apparent that what most everyone wanted was Artoo and other droids at events. The primary argument in favor of membership during all previous discussions was that "everybody loves Artoo and we want them at our events."

However, allowing droids as members would create a bunch of bureaucratic headaches like needing LCJ's and CRL's for droids. More trouble than its worth if all we want is events access.

The solution was to simply grant events access to Artoo builders that requested it. Here is the R2 Builders User Group.

Unfortunately, as DroidWelder has mentioned now and in the past, there are some fools in both groups that create all kinds of problems due to an obsession with the rules/charter and their interpretation of it.

If you actually wanted to allow droids as members, you would need to work on the details, write some CRL's, and create a charter amendment to make it happen. None of the proponents of allowing droids into the club have ever done this.

Here are some of the past discussions on the topic:
Amalphiea (Kellie)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also many approvable costumes that they can make to join which is what some builders in our area have done. We also give them access to event forums.
The Wretched Hive CO
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
And as I will never join R2 builders in their currently super closed club for example.(

How is the Artoo Builders Club a "super closed club?"
Ritin Kornas ()
Swiss Outpost CO
Swiss Outpost CO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
Ritin Kornas wrote:
And as I will never join R2 builders in their currently super closed club for example.(

How is the Artoo Builders Club a "super closed club?"

In very short, just have a look to their website and try to get any infos... you can't even see a gallery of the R2 unit. You don't even have a basic contact info available on main page...

The members I know are all nice and always kind, that I don't deny. It's just as a club. The remark is also true for some parts of the 501st (and I'm member of the 501st) where you need to register to get basic infos on some costume, and given the exploded way of 501st in multiple forums... you need 20 different accounts to get infos on the 20 costumes you can be interested in...
Also the same regarding the 501st forum (main one) where you HAVE to be 501st member to join it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
In very short, just have a look to their website and try to get any infos... you can't even see a gallery of the R2 unit. You don't even have a basic contact info available on main page...
I have. There is an extensive wiki and forum and tons of information. The BB-8 groups is also the same way. Tons of info. All for free.
Yes, you have to register in order to get that info, but that's free, too.

Ritin Kornas wrote:
The remark is also true for some parts of the 501st (and I'm member of the 501st) where you need to register to get basic infos on some costume, and given the exploded way of 501st in multiple forums... you need 20 different accounts to get infos on the 20 costumes you can be interested in...
The Artoo Builder's forums were hacked a number of years ago and like most forums they have an ongoing problem with spammers. Sites like these are also costly to run and restricting dynamic, database-drive content (i.e. forums and wikis) helps reduce the load on the server.

Perhaps there is a language barrier problem here, but you sound like you think there is malicious or selfish reasons behind being required to register to access some info. Please clarify if that is is what you meant or not.

No one is closing things off to you or withholding any information. The sites you have mentioned are filled with helpful people and useful information that is available to you for free, put together during people's spare time simply to help other people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Droids All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: