Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aa71d43372548713371c0b18a4f986a8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Tunic Tutorials (plus tabards/obi), by EeanLedgor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-inches for obi-wan ; 3-inches for mace windu (and anything in between).

(so basically : 2-inches, for the purpose of THIS tutorial , which is VERY "obi-wan specific").

Quote:

Although this tutorial will specifically talk about an Obi-wan Kenobi (OWK) costume,
this tutorial can be easily modified for other Jedi costumes!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoopWoop17 wrote:

I have a Korbanth/Parks K4 lightsaber. It is the Kenobi lightsaber from A New Hope. Could I use that for an Episode III Obi Wan, given that the two sabers have the same overall shape and are "the same" in canon?

yes.

I don't see why not.
the korbanth saber is "pristine" (non-weathered) which more closely resembles Obi-III;
the only visible difference is the 'bubble strip' on the control box.
(which is easily replaceable with an EPIII circuit board).

the judges accept "force-FX' sabers for EP III ; korbanth is infinitely more accurate than force-FX.

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sort of an ongoing thread that folks use for making Jedi. While there's not much activity, I try to respond to questions...though most questions come via email or inbox (on FB).

Generally speaking, the collar for Jedi tunics is around 2" wide. I strive to make my 2.25" wide. The strips of fabric (before sewing) with seam allowances are about 3.5 wide (with one side having a rather stiff or heavy duty fusible interfacing).

ShoopWoop17 wrote:
So this is a rather old forum, but it seems people are posting in it. Awesome tutorial, I am following it to make my first full outfit (Hopefully in time for TLJ), but the one thing I cant find is this: how wide should the collar for the outer tunic be? I have a strip of fabric that is long enough, I just don't know if it is wide enough.

Also, for costume standards: I have a Korbanth/Parks K4 lightsaber. It is the Kenobi lightsaber from A New Hope. Could I use that for an Episode III Obi Wan, given that the two sabers have the same overall shape and are "the same" in canon?

bluelou6 ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome tutorial! I have read it through several times and am ready to begin my costume. I am completely new to sewing and have searched as much as I can in regards to techniques. For the life of me I can't figure out how that collar is attached to the OT. Is there a video somewhere that details that step? My brain just isn't handling the written explanation. Also, does the OT back have a skirt as well, or just the front?
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I intend to update with video tutorials...especially with photobucket crapping out on us. I'll draw a pic or two and post that up...or you can hit me up on FB where I can easily do a quick video.

bluelou6 wrote:
Awesome tutorial! I have read it through several times and am ready to begin my costume. I am completely new to sewing and have searched as much as I can in regards to techniques. For the life of me I can't figure out how that collar is attached to the OT. Is there a video somewhere that details that step? My brain just isn't handling the written explanation. Also, does the OT back have a skirt as well, or just the front?

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a skirt pattern for the back and front. You use the one piece to make both patterns. One you cut on a fold (to get the back) and the other you cut two pieces (one for each front panel for the outer tunic).

As for the collar construction, granted a video would work best, but I've not had the opportunity for that yet. Until then, please try to wade through my crude picture:

Hope this helps.

bluelou6 wrote:

bluelou6 ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I think I have it now. Thank you so much.
ShoopWoop17 ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
ShoopWoop17 wrote:

I have a Korbanth/Parks K4 lightsaber. It is the Kenobi lightsaber from A New Hope. Could I use that for an Episode III Obi Wan, given that the two sabers have the same overall shape and are "the same" in canon?

yes.

I don't see why not.
the korbanth saber is "pristine" (non-weathered) which more closely resembles Obi-III;
the only visible difference is the 'bubble strip' on the control box.
(which is easily replaceable with an EPIII circuit board).

the judges accept "force-FX' sabers for EP III ; korbanth is infinitely more accurate than force-FX.

Yeah, that was my thought. The Force FX sabers aren't exactly thin necks. Mine is still weathered, and it does not have the covertech clip, so that might have to be added, we will see.
Not merely random, neither awkward like
A blaster. Nay, the lightsaber maintains
A noble elegance, a Jedi's pride.
'Tis something for a civiliz'd new age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: