Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7e6e9dd7bc36ba3b264812fa64872ac2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance X-Wing Build Group Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (25)

(5)

User Registered Confirmed
kwinchellMon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm
AladdinMarkMon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm
ReeshiesPieciesMon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 pm
SiouxznTue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 am
VystLaaqTue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 am
clgeorgeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm
AquadraziTue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm
jpclaudeTue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm
tereshkova2001Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm
nbatternTue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm
JimWed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am
vcaballeroWed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm
bilbowankenobisanThu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm
AlidoroThu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm
SpaceAceSat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm
ShokokuphoenixSat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 pm
CorivanSat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm
KayleesiMon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm
WilhelmMon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 pm
PadLeiaMon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm
GregoryTue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am
MallenphotoTue Oct 03, 2017 5:14 am
Baris_AlrisulTue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 pm
NightJediWed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 am
Star_NerdThu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 am
User Registered Confirmed
RedfireMon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 pmMon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm
Womp RatTue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm
jabbasdeadWed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 am
Master Vance HalenWed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 pm
Patient0x00Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am
Corivan (Melissa Nichols)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Facebook is fine with me, too.
Jim ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Facebook is fine for me too.

I'm not a fan of open carry :/ but Poe's pilot costume has a holster for their ;-) blaster, so I'm making one. This link has a step by step for making what looks like a great holster, about 1/2 way down the page.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237579&page=30
kwinchell (Katherine)
Alpha Base XO
Alpha Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, sorry for the bit of radio silence from me, I got caught up in moving. That's done now, so I'm back.

I've gotten the Facebook group up. If you haven't received an invite, add yourself here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/275615942953371

Heather, that is a really good point. I'm working on a Google Doc that people can use as a checklist ASAP.

In the Facebook group I've made a poll to help people who still need fabric match up with someone who has extra.

If you haven't already, please click the "I am committed to this build" if you want in on the group orders for strapping, vest fabric, etc. Commitments are due this weekend because we need to get to ordering all of that.

I've updated the main post again too with the new links people have provided.
kwinchell (Katherine)
Alpha Base XO
Alpha Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the Google Doc checklist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QfXfaq_ihxGBicVudOxnB_7IgVeNWjfsUp0iHh_nMJU/edit?usp=sharing
Gregory ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, changed from interested to committed.
Mallenphoto ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brook and I are both commited and want to be apart of this awesome build.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Committed, and also adding my sewing machine and serger to the list of available/portable machines. Additionally, I have a question about the timing on the build parties after week 1. I have to work until 4 in Redmond every Sunday (except for week 2, when I have the Seattle Childrens troop from 2-4, but am otherwise free). Will these run late enough in the evening that it would be possible to come learn what tasks we did that day, so I can do that portion of my costume in the evening/ over the course of the following week? If so, I can send my machines to build parties with Rain or another north ender, and just join in the evening each time.
kwinchell (Katherine)
Alpha Base XO
Alpha Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
Committed, and also adding my sewing machine and serger to the list of available/portable machines. Additionally, I have a question about the timing on the build parties after week 1. I have to work until 4 in Redmond every Sunday (except for week 2, when I have the Seattle Childrens troop from 2-4, but am otherwise free). Will these run late enough in the evening that it would be possible to come learn what tasks we did that day, so I can do that portion of my costume in the evening/ over the course of the following week? If so, I can send my machines to build parties with Rain or another north ender, and just join in the evening each time.

Great!

It will probably depend on who is hosting, but as long as they're open to letting people be at their house into the evening I'm willing to stay to help out. (Except on the 22nd since I'll be at a conference that weekend)

Sending your machines with Rain would be fantastic!
kwinchell (Katherine)
Alpha Base XO
Alpha Base XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a couple of new people join with usernames I don't recognize. If you haven't added yourself to this Facebook group please do! We'll be sending out workshop addresses on it rather than publicly posting them here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275615942953371
Aquadrazi ()

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw tickets are going on sale for Episode 8 on Monday. Has the troop been planned yet?
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying over from the FB group so that it's publicly referable!

The resistance pilot life vest fabric was found at Joann's Fabrics, called Shao White Stretch Sateen (SKU 400104935671), and you need 1.5-2 yards. Go with 2 yards if you're busty.

As always, use coupons for Joann's so you don't have to pay full price.
kwinchell (Katherine)
Alpha Base XO
Alpha Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first build everyone!

Here is our final list of who is building with us:
-Deunan
-Wendy
-Chris
-Susan
-Rook
-Mark
-Torrey
-Caitlin
-Jim
-Bill
-Carrie
-Nathan
-JP
-Vanessa
-Alicia
-Katherine
-Hannah
-Rain
-Tab
-Mike
-Ryan
-Heather
-Kay
-Melissa
-Greg

+ Allen & Brook building separately but being included on bulk orders.

That's 27 people total! Whoo!

The group is now closed to newcomers because the bulk orders have started. If you aren't on the list, don't despair. We'll have a complete write up once this is done and have patterns and a source list. There seems to be interest in a second round of this build in the future.
Alidoro ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rook here.

Katherine and I plowed through what sewing we could do ourselves and our partially completed jumpsuits will be sent along to the next group build (that we both unfortunately can't make) as examples. (Along with my serger, which is set up for a standard 4 thread overlock.) I wrote down what I could think of that might help others:

MARKS TO GET FROM PATTERN
Some of the notches and arcane notes on the commercial pattern don't matter to us, so most of us didn't transfer them to the fabric pieces we cut out. But having put the garment together, I discovered some that we do want:
- CF (Center Front) and Fold Line on both Front #1 and Pants Front #9 (this will be on the funky bit that becomes the zipper fly)
- Tuck notches on Back #2, both at the top and bottom
- and the corresponding notches on the waistline of Pants Back #10
- All notches on the Sleeve cap (the curvy bit) #4
- and any corresponding notches on the armscye sections of the body (I don't remember if there are more notches or just seam junctures that serve the same purpose)
- Any notches on the edges of the Pants (not exactly necessary but could help putting them together neatly)
Each person should get these marks transferred from the pattern IN THEIR SIZE. We have a spreadsheet of which person got what size.

SERGING/OVERLOCKING SUGGESTIONS for bulk efficiency (speed/thread conservation )
- Concentrate on about 4-6 pieces at a time, serging one edge and then putting an edge of the next piece against the end of the first so they almost touch but don't overlap. This will result in a funny chain of fabric pieces that you can then cut apart without lots of wasted thread and rotate around to another edge.
- Be careful on curves, this pattern isn't too bad but the neck holes take some wrangling.

SEWING SUGGESTIONS
- Loosely baste/threadmark (contrasting thread color) CF on both Front #1 and Pants Front #9 so it can be seen on both sides of the fabric while you're working. This will be removed at the end.
- Don't clip seam allowance until absolutely necessary (you can see several places on mine where it bunches oddly because of unclipped SA, but this is to make sure there aren't alterations we want to do, and so you can see where I did things differently than the instructions.)

THINGS I CHANGED ON MINE
- Side seams/sleeve underarm seams: sewn at 1" SA instead of the standard 5/8" to bring it in a little
- Armscye/sleeve cap: took in an additional 3/8" past standard 5/8" seam (really not how sleeves are supposed to be altered!! but it worked for my jumpsuit because of the other alterations I'm doing. Emulate with caution)
- Also my fly is messy because it was done without a zipper foot. I intend to redo it. Use one if possible.
Corivan (Melissa Nichols)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Source Reply with quote

Corivan wrote:
Found these made by the same company as the ones Torry found. The bottom part of the boot is the same, only the top is different (which will be hidden by the jumpsuit).

Total after shipping was $34.39.

http://www.thechefskorner.com/groundwork-new-ladies-horse-riding-yard-showerproof-stable-walking-rain-snow-winter-ski-warm-farm-mucker-boots-black-womens-shoesgroundwork-paint-potpremier-fashion-designer-p-723.html

So my boots arrived today.

Recommendation: DO NOT GO WITH THIS!
Not only was the size incorrect, but what I received was totally different from what I ordered. I will be biting the bullet and going with what Torrey found on Amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: