Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5ecc3ead745ed70de15c0bba003bc5f2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

another Jyn Erso WIP - by AgnesAUT from Vienna
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: another Jyn Erso WIP - by AgnesAUT from Vienna Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I've been working on my Jyn costume since december 2016. I still haven't got much to show, but I thought this WIP might be a kind of motivator for me to keep going and maybe accelerate my slow process. So at the moment this might be rather boring for you to read, I apologise!

I knew I wanted to make the costume sooner or later since I fell in love with it and sort of became obsessed with all the pictures and trailer scenes of it several weeks before the movie came out. Therefore, I was a bit disappointed to see that so many scense of the trailers did not make it into the movie.
Initially, I wanted to refrain from building until the movie and even standards were out since I know that costume building is a huge and extensive thing for me, wanting to do as much as I can myself, tending to perfectionism unfortunately and still having a lot to learn in sewing and crafting.
I really admire all of you who have their costumes done already or who have many costumes, building several costumes a year or even at the same time... At least it was a huge deal and extensive process for my two other costumes (Jawa and Admiral Daala).

However, about 2 weeks before the premiere in december, I just could not help myself but do a quick version for the premiere, based on second hand clothes that I altered (padded winter jacket for the vest, this was the most elaborate but also interesting part with all the details, and a jacket), clothes I regularly use (pants, shirt), a scarf and belt that I made and cheap new boots that I dyed (but without a buckle yet). It was somehow silly since I could have done it better if I had made up my mind sooner, and I also sort of missed advent season due to my obsession and occupation *g*.
However, it was actually fun to do and a different kind and feeling of costume making since there were no standards yet and I built it quite lighthearted, not overthinking every tiny decision and measuring twice. I told myself that I just wanted to have something "with the feel" and sort of as a tribute to celebrate the new movie.
The costume turned out pretty fine and I enjoyed the midnight screening with my friends, although there was no premiere event sadly.
A few days later, I was permitted to troop inofficially at a movie event (with the 501st). People hardly recognised me (it was rather "mainstream movie audience", they probably had not studied trailers and pictures before and many did not even know about the main character Jyn Erso) and treated me rather as a handler, asking me to take pictures of "the real troopers" in armor Razz Well, that might be different in the US or UK though were fan culture has a bigger significance.

Well, I took a sort of break from costume building during the holidays, but resumed working on it in January of February, followed the RPF and the standards discussion here and gathered more pictures of the costume.
I improved the belt and built a holster, I ordered and received a blaster which I have to paint, I received
For a few weeks now, I am stuck in altering the blouse pattern (which I drafted myself, originally for another costume) and I try to educate myself on pattern drafting, darts and the like. The two test blouses were okay (one was too narrow, the other one too wide) but I am determined to improve it, although it takes a lot of time. Weeknights, I hardly get anything done after work. This is frustrating on the one hand, but on the other hand I see it as a good opportunity to improve my sewing and crafting skills.

1. Shirt - done (made my own pattern)
2. Pants - done (fabric taken from a thrifted pants that I took apart completely; made my own pattern)
3. Vest - done: based on a thrifted jacket that I adapted pretty completely; recently, I applied red lining, czech hook, ALICE patch, more batting and better tubing and tie-quilting.
4. Boots - done: finally applied buckles (3D printed ones made by TaffProps, painted and assembled by myself)
5. Gloves - done: Black Diamond gloves altered
6. Belt - done
(6.) Holster - done

7. Hair - my brown natural hair with "irregular bangs" should be fine in general; since my hair was cut around chin-length recently, I bought some clip-in-strands which should help with the bun.
8. Blaster - done: made by Alfredo Vásquez-Gutiérrez of resin and rubber; grinded and painted myself
9. Vest pocket tools - done: altered a chalk holder as code cylinder and a flashlight for the comm link
(Kyber crystal necklace - done)

Future project:
(Scarf - minor modifications missing)
(Jacket - bought one online that I will alter a bit (I ordered custom measurements - it fits pretty ok, but they did some measurements differently, especially the length of the jacket and of the sleeves.

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive Detachment; working on Jyn Erso //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan Det. (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps Det. (Adm. Daala flightsuit)

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:43 am; edited 20 times in total
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably far from being of interest to anyone, but it was important to me to at least start reporting and posting photos, even if they are from smaller parts, in order to keep this WIP and my hope and motivation "alive" with regard to the slowness of it.

Gloves:
I made the gloves correctly put them in the wrong order for the picture regarding the strap.

- brown fingerless gloves of brand "Black Diamond" type "Stone" (size XS) and leather paint bought
- removed the velcro-straps
- did a little bleaching or rather cleaning with acetone
- did some unstitching, "trimming" and new stitching especially on the fingers since the gloves were too wide
- dyed with liquid leather dye (middle brown and dark brown combined) with a sponge, a piece of cloth and the brush that came with the bottle
- weathering: applied some thinned acrylic paint in beige and black leather dye
- cut out the circle on the right glove, applied two pieces of leather (the lighter one is the same dyed material as for the boot flaps)
- stitched the circle on the left glove
- applied the new strap (about 1'' / 2,5 cm) with snaps (double layer so you don't see the snaps on the top), with the finger-side corners cut off

Optional Kyber Crystal Necklace:
- bought a clear quartz / "Bergkristall" for 5 Euros (from the sales table of a local minerals business) - it might be slightly smaller, but it sort of found me and I liked the idea of a natural crystal of a similar shape
- found leather ribbon, ribbon, metal ring and wire at home - finally keeping so much "crafty stuff" for ages payed off
- attached ring with glue
- boyfriend cut a sort of channel / channeling with his Dremel for the wire so it would stay better
- attached leather ribbon that I tied with some other ribbon, attached wire

I might add the Aurebesh letters, but I was unsure about the technique.

RL: Alpine Base Austria (Base Membership Officer) / Wretched Hive Detachment; working on Jyn Erso //
501st: Austrian Garrison / Krayt Clan Det. (Jawa) & Imperial Officer Corps Det. (Adm. Daala flightsuit)

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
coryphefish (Colleen Johnson)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That crystal is so beautiful! I want to find one like that someday!

I was just at Tandy Leather today talking natural weathering techniques, but yours look so good, I'm not worried about the possibility of having to give up and reach for the belt dye.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."
~HK-47
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Colleen!

The crystal really was a "lucky find" to me.

About the leather: after dyeing, the gloves had a strange and unnatural shine to them as if they were brand new off a factory *g*.
Therefore, I had to weather them in the sense of applying beige acrylic paint (for painting) that I thinned with a lot of water. I also applied some black leather dye / paint.

You can't really see it on the picture, I'll try to get a better one.
By the way, the leather dye / colour smells pretty heavy.
You probably have other brands since I live in Austria, Europe.
The brand that I used is called "Morello Lederfarbe", it comes in a small glass bottle with a brush attached to the lid.
I already used it for my faux leather boots which I will post a picture of soon, once the buckles are applied.

Regarding the half-circle parts: the darker one is faux leather / pleather which I also used for the second layer of the strips, the one on the inside with the push button (since most of my leather parts were far too thick and stiff).
The lighter one that I also used for the straps originally was used for LARP / live action role play as shin guards *g*.

A long story cut short: although they are quite small parts, they and it took me quite some time to find the right pieces of leather (I tried also different ones, but they turned out to be too thick / stiff), the right dye colour, the right fit of the gloves...

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt and Holster:
- cut dark brown leather for belt and holster
- sewed fitted holster (for Blas-Tech A-180 blaster)
- attached rivets: 4 on the left front, 4 on the left back (for decoration only);
2 in order to attach holster to belt;
- attached snaps: one on the holster retention strap for closure, 2 snaps on the belt on the left side for closure, hidden by addional leather; 3 snaps on the leg strap of the holster
- addional keeper loop on the leg strap
- weathered it with a rasp and sandpaper which the pictures hardly show - last picture taken with flash light

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the pants for several weeks now and today was the first time I could try it on as "real pants", without open spots or safety pins. A good feeling!
I still have to add the waist band and the strap with the casing, sew the hem at the bottom and do some weathering.
I ended up using the second hand pants which caused me some troubles (f.e. almost too little fabric), but provided me with an already "used" and to some degree weathered fabric and a guideline for the pattern.
Pictures will follow soon.

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only took me ages *g*, but I finished my pants!

As described earlier, the base were thrifted pants (with pockets), which I ended up taking apart completely since I could not simply adjust it, which was my initial plan. However, they provided me with a nice fabric that was already aged to some degree.
I constructed my own pattern, tailored to my curvy shape and my short and rather stury little legs, based on several pants that fit me pretty well, and adjusted to the requirements.
Weathering was probably the most fun part, and figuring out the pin tucks on my curvy calves and sewing in the zipper probably the most challenging and rewarding.
I did not count how many times I tried on, measured, pinned (and pinned myself), or marked with tailor's chalk *g*.

The pants include all the required details:
- faded black and sturdy fabric
- high waist with broad waistband with tab that lines up with the center front seam on the right side
- additional center seams on the front and back
- pants reach to the tops of the boots
- horizontal casing below the knee with tan suede rectangle details; cream horizontal strap visible on the outside of the legs, with black military style slide bluckle
- 8 vertical pin-tucks below the strap on the outside front quarter of each leg, narrowing at the bottom (which you will see better once I am wearing the pants) and directed to the outside
- weathering (not all of it is visible in the picture, for example the cream straps aren't that bright but "dirty")

Last edited by AgnesAUT () on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to finish my vest in the following days.
To do: I have to attach the collar, waistband, red lining with facing, czech hook and tubing;
I might improve the painting of the ID card greeblie.

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pants look amazing! Weathering, pintucks, everything!

Good luck on the vest. That was really tricky for me, so don't hesitate to post if you run into any issues.

And don't forget to sew plusses in the vest quilting. I still have to redo mine.

"Translation: Two percent probability that the organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted.
~HK-47
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...
You are talking about improving the painting of the rank badge...

Just something to consider, i am pretty sure that the red button is in fact a red push button, the same as the imperial rank badges. The biggest button i could find was a fraction small, however once on the badge it doesn't notice at all.

If you're interested, stop me a pm and I'll send you some photos...
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your feedback and advice!

With the quilting, I am not 100% sure about or content with the current status, since the squares are not as defined as I want them to be (I think Robyn posted a similar problem in the FB group). However, I actually don't want to reopen all of it since the batting is already pretty thick and I used the T- or cross-shaped knots.
I think I will rather add some more stitches "inbetween" and apply some colour to give some depth and "shadow".

Chris, I think I saw a hint regarding the button before (maybe it was by you, could this be?), but I just can't find it

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vest is almost finished!
However, the tubing (in combination with the little squares / greeblies) is giving me hard times since the material that I have (PU tubes which are quite stiff) "resists" glue and assemblage so far. If I can't find a way to glue and attach them soon, I will try to find other tubes.
Darn tubing! Razz

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a tip to thread wire through the tubes to hold them in place. Will that work for yours?

~HK-47
AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Colleen! This might be worth a try!

AgnesAUT ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally!!!
The last minor steps took me quite some time, but my vest is finished, I believe!
Well, except for the pocket tools which are in the making. Due to a storm, I was not able to spraypaint outside today.
However, I got impatient and really wanted to post my vest, so here it is, without vest pocket tools yet.

I finally managed to manage the tubing by holding the tubes in place on a board with nails as a barrage and with tape on the ends, and the use of a lot of hot glue on the back side. I then hid the ugly glue with "hockey tape" (that I originally used for my Jawa mask).
I also had troubles with the plastic squares at the ends of the tubes, so I had to cut off the middle bridge and also one of the four sides.
I attached the tubing to the plastic parts with hot glue, added some Sugru to hide the tubing ends, and sewed the plastic parts to the brown webbing. I also added little pieces of velcro to additionally hold the the tubing.

The vest became quite "stiff" due to the tubings, which I don't really like and looks kind of strange, but I don't know if there is a way to avoid that. I believe, the hot glue made the tubings quite stiff.
However, I am glad I finally found a solution at all, thanks to my boyfriend who suggested hot glue and the board-nail-tape-construction.

Comm is made by TaffProps (cast in black plastic resin, based on a 3d print) and painted by me.
I really like the push button idea and saw it in some reference pictures, but at the moment, I can't see a way to attach it to the existing comm since the red "button" is already raised.
I might upgrade this at a later point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: