Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e29f8abae176b36c7a99ffcb262268baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Senatorial Leia Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlisonMachado ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Senatorial Leia Build Thread Reply with quote

Hey people! Finally getting my stuff together to submit to RL after putting together a Rey that was not approved, then having a baby and not fitting into my Rey anymore! (So maybe I'll fix that one day but for now, new project.)

I began my Senatorial Leia this weekend... Jet Set is a pain to work with!!

Had to stay stitch the neck because it started pulling before I even realized it... so hopefully it hasn't run too far and won't interfere with the collar.

Waiting for some straight pins and a seam ripper to arrive from Amazon (because somehow, they've been lost in my craft closet!) before I keep going... already had a minor snafu with one self-lined sleeve Smile

Just saying hi, and I'll poke back in when I have an update! Leia Buns
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! This dress can at times be a bit complex, but just stick with it, it's totally worth it in the end. Let us know if you need any help we are here for support! Also, the there is sage wisdom in this statement: It's not a Project, until the seam ripper comes out!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck!

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-2018)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Loyalist Senate Gown Padme, Mustafar Padme

Photos by Robbins Studios
AlisonMachado ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers wrote:
It's not a Project, until the seam ripper comes out!

Story of my life!! Razz

Today, I'll be heading back to Joann's to see if they've got any pleather or vinyl that can work for the belt. Hoping the Force will guide me to something useable and cheap Wink

There's a hardware store right next to Joann, so I'll pop in there for some aluminum flashing or whatever for the belt plates.

one Princess coming up!! Leia Buns
AlisonMachado ()

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No suitable material found, unfortunately!

I did pick up some small aluminum sheets from Home Depot. I'll print out one of the templates (Possibly it was from Pam or the Padawan's guide??) and try to get those cut with my tin snips later tonight.

Do you guys sand down the edges or anything? I imagine they could get pretty sharp with the snips.
AlisonMachado ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am TAPPED OUT for the night.

I picked the funky sleeve, fixed that.

Cut the keyhole, but wondering if it needs to be a little longer? Also, have never sewn a keyhole before. It looks a little... bunchy? near the bottom... I believe it will “straighten out” once the collar is on, but would love some feedback before I begin that mess Smile

https://photos.app.goo.gl/21zcHYyqHtuYixE92

Pics in a minor dump here bc I need to extract the URL — will try to fix that tomorrow and make it easier for you guys!

I also got foundation all over, which I tried to get out with a magic eraser... harrumph. Thankfully this fabric washed and dried well the first time. Any tips on getting it out? I can’t be the only one... [/url]
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had makeup get on my dress as well. I use a spot cleaner on the area and really put it in well. I then let it sit for a bit and then machine wash gentle cycle. My dress is made of jet set knit so it wasn't an issue. Hope yours comes out!

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
AlisonMachado ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a little Oxy Clean will probably do the trick!

So, this morning I woke up early and drove to North Hollywood (ugh) to go to Tandy. I couldn't find anything I was SURE would work for the belt... so I left.

BUT THEN! I had to drive a different way to work, and I went by a different Joann.... headed in and found a vinyl with a sort of thick fabric lining. Non-shiny, white... AND ONLY $11. On top of that, homegirl had a 50% off coupon, so we're talking about $6 for a belt instead of $135... Which is good because I'm not SUPER confident in my belt-making abilities after my Rey belt had "issues."

Feeling better than I was last night! Tonight, I hope to make the collar and the hood, and maybe open up the keyhole a little longer. I'd love to not have to.... but I think I'll have to.

including pics of Keyhole... Would love some feedback on the "bunching" at the bottom of the un-hooked keyhole, and also its length. It only goes a little ways down my back. (I'd say no more than mid shoulder blade.) How far should I go?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your keyhole length is fine, but maybe you could make it a little longer. Smile I suspect the bunching may be due to pulling when the fabric was turned around. Did you make any snips into the fabric around the turn?

Best of luck with the belt.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
AlisonMachado ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not snip the fabric! Maybe I'll give that a shot. Should I throw a little fraycheck on? I'm worried about it running too much.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs easily, then that might be a good idea.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: