Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=546c4723bab752956ed516957242c8c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lothal Leia build - help needed and questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of the Jedi (Anastasia Walat)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Lothal Leia build - help needed and questions Reply with quote

Hello fellow Leias! I got my first build as Jaina approved a couple months ago and now I am slowly embarking on my second. I love the Rebels TV show and was so happy when the costume standards for this were decided on.

But it seems like no one with a documented WIP build thread has done this costume yet and I have questions.

1. The hair!

I can find guides and tutorials for every Leia style, even TLJ already, but not this one. Help! I think I know what to do with the braid, but the bun is driving me nuts! Is it all secured by the hair clip? And if not, how is it secured? How exactly does one make a tri-part bun? I see the three bumps of the bun in pictures but how do I make actual hair or a wig do that?

To anyone who has done this build, is planning too, or just has good advice about Leia hair your help would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure whether I will go wig or extensions, but I need to know how to make than darn bun first before I decide. But if I do use I wig, I am thinking of using Arda's Jasmine wig in Spanish Brown.
https://www.arda-wigs.com/collections/cosplay/products/jasmine-classic-small?variant=35197197004

2. Boots

Any suggestions for resources? Amazon has given me no luck. They are similar ANH boots but calf length and can't have slouching or embroidered lines that some ANH boots can get away with. I can paint them the right color as long as they are correct in all the other ways.

3. I have a droid caller but how do I attach it to a belt? How do I secure it? I don't think there is a leather strap securing it in the pictures.

4. Any suggestions for resources for the chest box, hip box, and Alderaan hair clip? One of the few Lothal Leia resource threads six months ago or more said someone from the 501st was making boxes but there was no link or follow up post.

Again any help is greatly appreciated and I hope as I document my progress it will help future Leias doing this built.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3, I'll suggest magnets. Probably the easiest solution for you.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was the one potential solution that had occurred to me. Seems I'm on the right track.

And I may have found a boot solution too. The consignment shop may have come to my rescue.
Dark Radiance ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the bane of animated characters: where are the seams and how to create the hair. =)
I'm working on it myself, and what I'm starting with is 3 chignon style or other bun extensions that I can manipulate and sew together. Then taking extra wefts of hair and sewing them into the one large bun piece to cover the seams and make it look like one piece. If you can find a long wig, then you may be able to do the chignon style without the extra pieces. Then I'll just use a clip and pins to hold it down.

Boots would be just find something close and manipulate. Paint or stain them the colours needed.

That droid caller seems to be hovering in mid air on her belt. You could do a combination of magnets and Velcro pieces for security.

The boxes, I'm at a disadvantage for. I was planning on trying my hand at 3d modeling the boxes and then having them printed for lightweight options. Or creating them out of lightweight sintra.

The hairclip could be made out of baked or air-hardened clay. It could be taken a step further and then have a mold taken of the piece and cast it in resin.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the hair have you thought about building a hairpiece from sculpting mesh and covering it with hair. I do this for my ceremonial bun and it works great.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've never worked with sculpting mesh before so I don't know how to do that. Is there as tutorial somewhere? The chignon seems to be the key to this hairstyle. I don't know how to to use three at the same time though or if just one will do if I can get the shape right. I'm 99% certain I'm going to use the Arda wig though. I do not want to have to redo this hairstyle every time I go trooping. I've been doing a little experimentation with a cheap Halloween wig, but I still have work to do.

In the meantime, here is what I have found for boots, along with a longer explanation and questions. But I think these will work if I paint them:
https://fairladyz2005.livejournal.com/81571.html

I have also been experimenting with the belt and hip box. Belt box is simply a crayon box painted silver. Belt button is an old earring. Metal plates (I used two to get the right look) were from the scrapbooking section of JoAnn's. This is my first version of the belt. I will add the droid caller/communicator later. More specific comments are in the link. Please excuse my crappy pictures taken with my Kindle Fire.
https://fairladyz2005.livejournal.com/81913.html
Any feedback would be appreciated. My main concern is if the side panels are long enough in the back and if the color is right or needs painting like the boots. The proportions feel right otherwise.

Sadly the shirt and leggings I am wearing will not work. I can't find a match of fabric for the leggings Sad so I will have to make my own. And the shirt is a little too small and has side seems not back, but it is the right length to test the belt against. I will be using McCall's MP263 with some minor modifications for the back seam.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress. Smile I love it when people find creative solutions to costuming issues.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I just had a brainstorm about the bun today too. There may even be a semi-easy way for me to use extensions too. I'll post those pics when I have a chance to experiment.

A few other ideas I have to make:
1. For the small trapezoids on her collar that look metallic I was thinking of using those magnetic book marks that fold over the page if I can cut some to the right shape or just make my own with some silver metallic card stock and magnets from the craft store or use the same silver paint I used on the belt box.

2. There is a silver metallic card stock JoAnn's that I can paper fold into the right shape for the chest box as trapezoid shaped boxes are hard to find. Again use paper clips or magnets to attach to shirt.

I'm debating if I need to fleece line the leggings or not in case they might be too see-through or if I just need some panty hose or something like that underneath. A camisole should work fine underneath the shirt. Also, if I can't find an exact color match for the fleece lining, is it better to go lighter or darker with the lining color?
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Radiance wrote:

That droid caller seems to be hovering in mid air on her belt. You could do a combination of magnets and Velcro pieces for security.

The boxes, I'm at a disadvantage for. I was planning on trying my hand at 3d modeling the boxes and then having them printed for lightweight options. Or creating them out of lightweight sintra.

The hairclip could be made out of baked or air-hardened clay. It could be taken a step further and then have a mold taken of the piece and cast it in resin.

I'm happy to model anything that can be done in sketchup- just need references and a scale people can agree on (at least as a start). I haven't yet put anything on Thingiverse as the hilts I have done are annoyingly rounded and curved (Ventress and Rebels Ahsoka) which added so much extra time that I can't really offer them for free. But boxes I can do, potentially even make them functional. One of the advantages to printing is that square boxes can be made as individual sheets that do not need to be trimmed!

I use sintra but I think getting simple files and having them printed (I use 3dHubs and never felt overcharged) is a really reliable and reproducable option.

I just had a quick look. All her accessories could be 3D modeled fairly easily. The hair piece even could work.

Armourer, sculptor, seamstress, tailor.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could also give a hand for the modeling but for now by modeling scheduling is pretty busy !!!
But please Neimhaille let me know if you model them I'ld be interest to chat with you about something Wink
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do love 3D models ready for printing, as those helps make the different costumes more accessible to more people. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: