Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e17980d70cbdc4af307bcee04baa4f83Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lucasfilm Archives X-Wing Pilot Helmet Reference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MC Hammer ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Lucasfilm Archives X-Wing Pilot Helmet Reference Reply with quote

Soo I was visiting the Netherlands a few weeks ago and was completely suprised by a Star Wars exhibition in town, showing actual Movie Props, Models and Costumes from the Lucasfilm Archives.

If I had knewn, I would have brought my camera to take some good quality photos. Unfortunately I only had my poodoo phone with me, but I still took some shots.

Among the exhibits were some X-Wing Pilot helmets. I took some detail shots for reference and thoght I might as well share them.

From upper left to lower right: Wedge, unknown, Dutch, Blue Three, unknown, Porkins.

I forgot to take a picture of the plaque, explaining who these belonged to, so i don't know anything about the two in the middle.
I first believed the one in the upper middle to be the one of Nozzo Naytaan, Callsign Red Nine in Rogue One. He and Attico Wred (also from Rogue One) both use helmets very similar to this one but with a yellow stripe on the sides of the mohawk.
The front cap of the mohawk is missing and the studs on the sides, where the earpeaces are screwed in, are still there (remember these were real flight helmets that have been modified for the movie). On the "mic"-part only two screwholes are visible instead of three. The lining shows more white than usual and the Earpeaces are missing.

The one below is very generic and also misses the front mohawk end cap and the chin strap. This makes me think that both were either prototypes or used by background actors in one of the hangar scenes of ANH. Either way, I didn't bother to take detail shots of them, because they are pretty boring compared to the other ones.

Now to the real stuff.

This helmet belongs to Jek "Piggy" Porkins (Callsign Red Six), worn by William Hootkins in ANH

The red and yellow lines on the front are in fact painted on. The Rebel Crest is an extra decal on top of the paintjob, as you can tell by the worn off edges.

Notice that the first mohawk side decal is is reused right behind the paintjob on the front, but with the circle cut out. This is mirrored on the other side as seen in the previous picture.

This one is bad, i know. But you can still see here that the second decal on the side of the mohawk seems to have a shiny gold or copper circle.

Now to one of my favorites: the helmet of Jon "Dutch" Vander, Callsign Gold Leader, worn by Angus MacInnes in ANH.

The two mohawk decals have different colour. The two V's seem to match these colours. It even seems that the first V has the same colour as the paintjob on the front of the helmet. Also the front cap of the mohawk is slightly offset and seems to be missing the lower part.

Notice that there is a Rebel Crest decal below the paintjob. Again you can see that the front cap of the mohawk is misplaced and seems to have been burned for weathering.

This is the helmet of Wedge Antilles, Callsign Red Two, worn by Denis Lawson in ANH.

Notice that the ANH helmet is dirtier than the ESB version. The second and third V has been peeled off after weathering. I don't know if the right side matches this, since the helmets were shown at an angle, making it impossible to see them from the other side. Again, the outlines of a Rebel Crest are visible on the front. There could be another decal below the paintjob, just like on Gold Leader's helmet. Or a decal was on there and has been peeled off.

From this angle, the outlines of the Rebel Crest cannot be seen. This makes me think that the decal might not be below the paintjob but has been on top of it and was removed later.

The next helmet belongs to Jessika or Jess "Testor" Pava, Callsign Blue Three, worn by Jessica Henwick in TFA.

The Aurebesh letters are printed on a decal. Also there is a huge scratch on the edge of the front, damaging the circular symbol above. The circular symbol on the right and the lines on the left side (wearer's view) are painted on.

The stars and V's are printed on one single decal just like the Aurebesh letters. Everything else is painted on.

Notice how the yellow line goes over the edge, while the red lines end slightly above. There is a wide red line on the bottom edge of the helmet, going up in what I think might be a 45° angle right below the mic section.

As a little Bonus: Luke's original Flight suit with Helmet, worn by Mark Hamill in ANH.

It was awesome to get this close to the actual piece (or at least one of them, they sure made more than one for the movie).

To prove that this is the real deal.

So, have fun making your own helmets and may the force be with you!
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the shots of the helmets except for the new Resistance bucket I took when they were on display in Montreal at an event called: (LINK) Star Wars Identities 4-17-2012

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, though!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: