Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=348cfc3bea31fc824e0879e6fe703ca8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hero Rey alternate tunic fabric

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Hero Rey alternate tunic fabric Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the screen accurate tunic fabric is now sold out, possibly forever. I found this at Hobby Lobby and if dyed to the correct color, would it be a suitable fabric for Rey's hero tunic in The Last Jedi?

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Home-Decor-Fabric-Trim/Home-Decor-Fabric/Beige-Diamond-Home-Decor-Fabric/p/46278
JediJainaSolo (Sarah Townsend)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that! I wonder how well it will take dye?

Scavenger, Princess, Senator and Sword of the Jedi
https://www.instagram.com/owl_feathers/
https://www.facebook.com/OwlFeathersArts/
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a poly/rayon blend I imagine you'd need to use both poly and natural fiber dyes. I think it's a pretty promising look, though! The tunic fabric I was approved with, that we found in the fashion district before the accurate fabric was ID-ed, was from an upholstery store and I'm 99% sure most people used it for curtains before we got to it. Laughing

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how well it'll take dye yet but I will probably post both on here and in the Rey cosplay groups on Facebook about how it goes to make sure as many Reys can get ahold of the fabric if it works for the Legion. Thankfully it's fairly cheap so I'm planning on getting about 4 yards for both dyeing swatches and extra in case I mess up my first big sewing project Laughing
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
As a poly/rayon blend I imagine you'd need to use both poly and natural fiber dyes. I think it's a pretty promising look, though! The tunic fabric I was approved with, that we found in the fashion district before the accurate fabric was ID-ed, was from an upholstery store and I'm 99% sure most people used it for curtains before we got to it. Laughing

Omg. Can I ask where you found your approved fabric - I'm also based in LA and would love to try and track some down to compare and contrast before making a decision! Very Happy

Re: blending dye - how would that work? Would just using Rit Dyemore work or would I need to mix a couple different types of dyes?
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we bought out the stock of the fabric that was there at the time and they haven't restocked. I always buzz through the upholstery shops when I'm there, though, you never know what will turn up! I can't remember the exact name of the shop, but it was somewhere in the general Maple/9th intersection area. I shop there too much and I got so excited in the moment that I forgot to take a picture of the shop so I could find it again. Crying or Very sad

And yeah, you'll want to mix something like the chocolate brown RIT poly dye into the mix. You can totally mix dye types- that's a fun parlor trick to do with velvet sometimes, as you can put two dyes into one pot, and then the backing and pile will come out different colors (depending on fiber content). Mr. Green Ours was full poly, but you'll still want to boil yours regardless to make sure that dark color really takes. I recommend a giant tamale pot, haha, that way you can do all your fabric in one batch.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks! Ah well, I'll definitely do some prowling around, but if not, then this fabric looks like it might be a good alternative! I also like that it isn't too pricey - what kept me from getting the mood fabric early is my cosplay budget being incredibly low.

In the Rey cosplay Facebook group (aka my favorite place in the world), someone posted that they used Dark Brown and Dark Green Rit all purpose dyes to dye the white mood fabric. Do you think their dye recipe would work, or should I grab a variety of colors and play dye doctor? The only color I currently have from Rit is Frost Grey which doesn't help much Razz
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favorite dye-job I've seen on the white Mood fabric included olive green as well. (If I remember correctly, she used a whole packet of the Jacquard I-Dye in Olive, plus the bottle of RIT chocolate brown.) That was on white cotton, but I think adding some olive to your mix would definitely be worth a try, though the fabric you are starting with does have some yellow in it already.

RIT brown dye has too much of a warm/red undertone, and the fabric is very cool greenish-grayish brown. So yes, experiment with adding colors other than just the straight brown. I've had good luck with the Jacquard I-Dye line (and they do have poly dyes as well); I found some in my local fabric shop, but they also have it on Amazon or Dharma. Good luck!
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) and Jyn Erso
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost didn't post this here because I'm worried about the fabric disappearing before I can nab it, but would this be a good alternate Hero Rey tunic fabric, despite being a little stiffer and shinier?: https://www.moodfabrics.com/ivory-diamonds-satin-poly-102026

I'm torn between the Hobby Lobby fabric and this one, and what it'll come down to is which seems like it'd be more screen accurate when dyed. The Hobby Lobby one looks lovely, but this one has the accurate raised diamond details. I'm very confused and have no idea which one to go for.
jeniwan (Jenna Hunt)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the Hobby Lobby one better. I think the pattern is closer to the real fabric, even if it's not as 3 dimensional. Plus 100% poly white fabric seems harder to dye, although it looks like the Hobby Lobby fabric is a blend so you'll probably need to use a combo of dyes for both natural and synthetic fibers (you could just use RIT and RIT dyemore together.)

If you're still torn, order a swatch or a short cut (like 1/4 yard) of the ivory diamond from Mood and see how it dyes and if you like it. Do a side by side of both fabric swatches dyed and see which you prefer.
Great Lakes Base -- Rey (Resistance, Jakku, TLJ and Training) and Jyn Erso
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After careful consideration (by which I mostly mean I got distracted thinking about this when I should've been focusing on work), I think I'm going to go with the Hobby Lobby fabric. You're right, it'll probably be the better option. Also it'll be a little easier on my wallet, especially since I'll need to get extra for test dyeing and the inevitable mistakes that will be made on the tunic making process Razz

Thank you all for all your excellent feedback and if you have any more suggestions/fabric pointers/etc. that'd be fantastic!!
Theodwyn ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have a few yards of the cream version of the screen accurate fabric, and am no longer going to make this costume. But if you wanted to attempt to dye it... I'd be very keen on selling it to you at cost. Just in case you wanted options! Smile
UnbreakableRey (Kate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodwyn wrote:
I happen to have a few yards of the cream version of the screen accurate fabric, and am no longer going to make this costume. But if you wanted to attempt to dye it... I'd be very keen on selling it to you at cost. Just in case you wanted options! Smile

Oh my god....I would love that! Can I shoot you a PM?

You just made my entire week, oh my goodness!!! Very Happy
Theodwyn ()

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, let's chat!
awindowacrossall (Jana)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh that Hobby Lobby fabric looks promising. Thank you for the heads up!

Resistance Rey- Mos Eisley Base
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: