Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e2fc1f6ede077b8e2981cbbdb1cf6b72Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic TFA Resistance X-wing Pilot Standard
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might suggest a simpler standard, but a related list with details... perhaps even pictures or links to generic things like straps or buckles. I liked the measurements in the other list.

Perhaps one list = standards (the"CRL")

AND

A linked list = "Construction Details"

Just a thought....

Proverbs 3:5-6

Check out our new Facebook Fan Page! https://www.facebook.com/BespinBaseGA
Shay Kenobi ()
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a great idea Karyn !

A simpler standard that still allows accurate, incredible looking costumes without condemning the LCJ's to have to deny an applicant because there is a stitch line that is out of place.

Then, as you say, a linked list that details the construction specs of the screen costumes with every stitch line and pocket size etc, for those that want to get theirs " exact".

" Another happy landing "
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kryy Jacobi wrote:
I might suggest a simpler standard,

This IS the simpler standard. Laughing The real, nitty-gritty one is linked in the first post.

Part of the reason it's so long, is that we're trying to eliminate the YEARS of people trying to take advantage of loopholes. Trust me that this is STILL happening with the OT Pilot Standards.

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Jon... might I suggest this change though, in the suit description:

• Each chap leg has the following pockets (total of 5):
- A top right thigh cargo style pocket with flap closure on the side of the leg.
- A secondary, half-oval shaped flat pocket with flap closure that wraps around the front of the leg.
- A smaller second rectangular cargo style pocket with rounded edges located on the right leg, with a flap top and is sewn into the front knee.
- A top left thigh rectangular cargo style pocket with open top square faux top flap, with small strip detail running vertically down the base of the pocket, layered over a tall, narrow open-topped pocket.
- A smaller second rectangular cargo style pocket with rounded edges located on the left leg, with a flap top and is sewn into the front knee. (This pocket is identical to the above right knee pocket, and each is mounted forward just above the bottom seam of the "chaps".)

Seconding the idea about the white utility bag on the vest... should be heavy white canvas.

I don't see mention of the blaster or the holster.....

Many of us agree that the suit material should at least resemble Cordura 1000D ballistic nylon. However, I have to concur as well that perhaps we don't want our members liquefying inside their suits in warmer regions! I say set the material as some sort of plain weave nylon or canvas of any desired weight, as long as the color is right, and go from there. Get everyone in your base to get the same stuff so as to look more uniform in pictures, and I think things will be hunky-dory.

Also... the wording on the collar/arm trim ribbing: "a near-matching red-orange color" might be more accurate. In some photos, you can't tell the difference in the color, some you can. Just as long as it's not plain orange!

Shay & Karyn: I have to agree with Jon, loopholes and such need to be nipped at the bud early on, but the standards DO need to include detailed photos and tips on how to accomplish it all.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Kryy Jacobi (Karyn W)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected on the over-simplification. Smile

And I think Phil's suggestion with the bullet points for the pockets helps organize the wall of text so it's less overwhelming.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Check out our new Facebook Fan Page! https://www.facebook.com/BespinBaseGA
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dannv wrote:
Lots of good comments above. My question is what is acceptable for fabric? At this point we have no info on what was actually used, just a comment from the costume designer that the resistance costumes were natural fibers.

I have the same question. We all know to use twill for the classic pilot, but what do we use for this one? and what is the correct color? I know it's darker than my classic x-wing costume but since I don't have a b-wing to compare the red color, I'm at lost.
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks good, some of the overly difficult parts to find that can be replaced with similar parts (IE Hose that is only available from England or specific boots / make model gloves) should be left out. Just like on the older X-wing pilot you can see variants here due to availability and cost.

Material should look similar to the 1000D Cordura but does not need to be. You can tell from the close up pictures it is an orange Cordura of some sort, it has that heavy weave, it was also likely lined for comfort in the movie. Making the CRL state it has to be cordura and lined would be nuts. I am living in New Mexico and using 1000D Cordura but I can attest it is HOT as heck, and you want to wear water wicking material under it. But some people that might just not be an option for, they will melt.

Agreed you can't over simplify things, but there will be some wiggle room. Heck you watch the movie one pilot does not have the hose attached into a pocket, there are side pocket attachments, attachments into the front pocket. Most of the uniforms do not have a middle seam (at the waist on them) however Jess's does. Snap's tab for the chest box is grey and he does not have cuffs, others do. and the tab is orange. For generic characters it is going to be a bit hard to pinpoint some details.
Yub-Yub ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we going to approve a pattern and the pilots that have made theirs already? I would love to make a suit and flak vest but I fear it might not be approved and I'll have to start all over
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furiafelina wrote:
dannv wrote:
Lots of good comments above. My question is what is acceptable for fabric? At this point we have no info on what was actually used, just a comment from the costume designer that the resistance costumes were natural fibers.

I have the same question. We all know to use twill for the classic pilot, but what do we use for this one? and what is the correct color? I know it's darker than my classic x-wing costume but since I don't have a b-wing to compare the red color, I'm at lost.

Check out the other threads... we've been discussing this almost ad nauseum. It's a red-orange, and this should be your color range:

The above swatch is supposed to be what they used in the movie, the "stretch denim" is a readily-available 7oz denim blend that some have used already, and the "solar cherry" is what we in Mos Espa (among others) have went with: a Cordura-like polyethylene outdoor upholstery material. There's gotta be other possibilities out there, but so far, those two are the only ones I know of specifically.

I think as long as you get the color close, you won't be rejected. Like I suggested above, get something and keep it uniform with all your pilots in your base so that you look good in photos.
Massiff Squadron CO

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yub-Yub wrote:
Are we going to approve a pattern and the pilots that have made theirs already? I would love to make a suit and flak vest but I fear it might not be approved and I'll have to start all over

Seems to be a lot of calling for a vest pattern. One of these days, I might post what I came up with (unless someone beats me).... but for now, all I have is some ugly, taped-together Frankenpaper that only I can tell what's what. Plus, you'll have to size them differently for people of various dimensions. My big-boy size vest won't look right on Lisa Liebig Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok sorry to be a pain but 2 flight suit points that need to be clarified

1- 2 piece sleeve vs 1 piece sleeve. Looks like both have been approved

2- blousing/tucks in upper back - centred, at sides or none - none makes no sense from a wearing point of view and looks to me in the super brief out of focus views looks like centred tucks (box pleat)

I think these will need to be clarified to keep look consistent so should be part of standard
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSnapWexley wrote:
I think it looks good, some of the overly difficult parts to find that can be replaced with similar parts (IE Hose that is only available from England or specific boots / make model gloves) should be left out. Just like on the older X-wing pilot you can see variants here due to availability and cost.

I was going to comment on this as well. "Accurate option is 'mucker boots by Groundworks'" will result in only UK pilots being approved, as these boots aren't sold in the US. However, there are other lines of rubber muck boots that are sold across US/UK/EU that are similar in appearance. I would imagine the ANZACs and PacRim pilots would face similar dilemma if boots were limited to just one model by one manufacturer. This is the point where fiction meets reality in the global marketplace. I'd suggest that as long as the general shape and similarity of the boot is retained (and labels obscured), either the "10-inch no-buckle rubber muck boot style", or a "10-inch 5-clasp rubber muck boot style" would be acceptable.

Also, don't promote something as a standard until you actually have the 4-sides photographs of a member wearing it, to accompany as a visual reference. We really want to avoid a "Do as I say, not as I've done myself" situation. I'm running into this problem with doing a Scarif Rebel Marine costume from "Rogue One". The standards were published, but when I asked for reference pictures of the back of the costume as worn by members, I got nothing. There's nothing more frustrating than being told "it needs to be this, this, and this" with no answer to "Great. Show me what it's supposed to look like and how you did it". It makes it hard on the applicant, and is a poor reflection on the judging to not be prepared for such a simple common-sense request.

Just a note - given that many event hosts are requesting "no weapons", blasters should be optional in submissions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: