Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=035fefa3a0b818a786e449a7e5f4961bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TLJ Grey Leia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Wow, that coat looks awesome O_o !

Thank you! Leia Buns
ROTJ Leia (complete)
TFA General Leia (complete)
Senatorial Leia (in progress)
Ceremonial Leia (in progress)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
AOTC Corde' (in progress)
Mara Jade (501st Approved)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks so pretty! Very Happy Amadalia When do we see you wear it?

While the pattern on the cloak may look off right now, I absolutely love the look of the fabric you used for the cloak. (I also have a thing for diamond patterns and love diamond piper weave).

Have fun at the premier. Very Happy

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
That looks so pretty! Very Happy Amadalia When do we see you wear it?

While the pattern on the cloak may look off right now, I absolutely love the look of the fabric you used for the cloak. (I also have a thing for diamond patterns and love diamond piper weave).

Have fun at the premier. Very Happy

Thank you! I hope to have it finished by Friday next week. (crosses fingers) Very Happy
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gorgeous and the material looks so nice. If you ever find a better one, and it's possible to order online please give me a shout out, I think most of us are after a V2 of the coat in better fabric.

The only thing I would change for a V2 would probably be to make the sleeves a bit shorter. It looks like your sleeves end at around the knee, while I think in the reference photos it looks like they end at the top of the thigh. Still it's hard to judge something on a dress form.
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne wrote:
It's gorgeous and the material looks so nice. If you ever find a better one, and it's possible to order online please give me a shout out, I think most of us are after a V2 of the coat in better fabric.

The only thing I would change for a V2 would probably be to make the sleeves a bit shorter. It looks like your sleeves end at around the knee, while I think in the reference photos it looks like they end at the top of the thigh. Still it's hard to judge something on a dress form.

Thank you, and will do (fabric)!

The sleeves are on my list of things to adjust. They are a bit longer than I would like. Should be a rather easy fix, as I still have some finish work left to do on the sleeves.
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Can't wait to see your photos! I wore mine last night and loved it. Mine's probably version 1 as well -- my coat fabric is not quite right (you got a good find there) and after seeing the movie there's a few other details. Did you get the jet set knit from Joanne's? Crazy that it costs so much more than the white...but I got an amazing deal on it in October when I special ordered it -- $3.98 per yard!! I don't even know how -- I had a 50% off coupon, but I guess there was some other deal going on. So I bought 10 yards! Smile

Sometime soon I'll get my WIP posted up here. Though I don't have as many pictures the farther along I got, because I was frantically trying to finish by yesterday (12/14)!

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
Looks good! Can't wait to see your photos! I wore mine last night and loved it. Mine's probably version 1 as well -- my coat fabric is not quite right (you got a good find there) and after seeing the movie there's a few other details. Did you get the jet set knit from Joanne's? Crazy that it costs so much more than the white...but I got an amazing deal on it in October when I special ordered it -- $3.98 per yard!! I don't even know how -- I had a 50% off coupon, but I guess there was some other deal going on. So I bought 10 yards! Smile

Sometime soon I'll get my WIP posted up here. Though I don't have as many pictures the farther along I got, because I was frantically trying to finish by yesterday (12/14)!

Thank you, Heather! I only got a couple of photos, but the lighting was so dreadful at the theatre, the color of the coat sort of washed out. After seeing the film, there will definitely be a Version 2, perhaps a 3.

The fabric for the dress was a grey Ponte (sp) knit from Joann's. It was an in store only fabric, which I found several months ago. It is a bit heavier than the Jet-Set. I love the feel and drape of it. If I can find the receipt, I'll post the SKU number. It may no longer be in stock, but I think you live in an area that may have much more selection than Pensacola, FL.

Can't wait to see your WIP!!
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work! What were your base patterns?

Alpha 75 - "No Instructions? No problem!"
FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
RLGS, RLSC
In progress, Boushh and Jawa
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:
Beautiful work! What were your base patterns?

Thank you!

Base pattern for the dress (View A). Added the opening to the front bodice, as well as a center front seam.

Coat pattern base (View B). The sleeve is the primary reason I used this one. Obviously, it did take a bit of modification to get what I needed, as it has a yolk, is open in the back, and the collar style is not correct.

My final pattern.

I hope this helps!
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh nice! It does!

Alpha 75 - "No Instructions? No problem!"
FISD - First Order
501st Pathfinder
RLGS, RLSC
In progress, Boushh and Jawa
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm finally able to get back to this project. Sigh...

After countless searches for the elusive coat fabric, I found this stuff at Joann's in the 'Red Tag' sale fabric area. On several visits to Joann's, I kept picking up the fabric, but put it back without purchasing. It was still there on a later visit, so I took it as a sign that I needed to buy it. It is an upholstery fabric, but not terribly heavy weight. It does keep it's shape well. Smile They only had a wee bit over 3 yards, but it was just enough for my coat.

The actual coat has a metallic 'sheen' (woven with metallic thread), so I had to perform some 'magic' on it - the 'magic' being a modified version of Dawn's Kylo mix (Yes, I have an approved Kylo, so am very familiar with the magic mix. Wink ) I added a silver metallic acrylic paint to the mix, and gave it a couple of coats. I was very pleased with the outcome!

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. I just can't seem to get the right lighting to highlight the sheen. (You can definitely see the metallic sheen in person.)

Close up (Yes, that is Queen Jamilla in the background. Another unfinished project.):

It's actually not this dark in person (upper cloak):

Different lighting:

ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)

Last edited by LaV317 (LaVonne) on Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:48 am; edited 3 times in total
ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find LaVonne! I've been searching Joann's and 3 local warehouse stores for months, and haven't managed to find anything the right color - but have seen tons of stuff like what you found (just wrong color!). Your coat looks beautiful!

I did end up finding something that I *think* will work, that I ordered online. The site was having a huge sale last weekend, so I took a chance and ordered w/out seeing a swatch. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival (it's coming from Germany, so may be a bit), and hoping it will be right! (Though, I'm thinking because of where it's shipping from, this site does take returns if I have to send it back.) I ended up paying about $70 USD (shipping included) for 7 yards of a wool/poly blend, heavy coating fabric that appears to have a square pattern about the right size. (I'm not sure exactly how much I will need; I used a lot for my first effort, but it was fully underlined - but I'd always rather be safe than sorry!!) It may have a bit of a sheen - but if not, I may have to get your "Kylo mix" infomation to sheen it up Smile (I figured there would be a way with paint to do so, but if you've got something mastered already, I'd love the help!)

I can't wait to see yours all finished and pics!! Generals unite!! Smile

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find! I’m excited to see this done.

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibejedi wrote:
Great find LaVonne! I've been searching Joann's and 3 local warehouse stores for months, and haven't managed to find anything the right color - but have seen tons of stuff like what you found (just wrong color!). Your coat looks beautiful!

I did end up finding something that I *think* will work, that I ordered online. The site was having a huge sale last weekend, so I took a chance and ordered w/out seeing a swatch. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival (it's coming from Germany, so may be a bit), and hoping it will be right! (Though, I'm thinking because of where it's shipping from, this site does take returns if I have to send it back.) I ended up paying about $70 USD (shipping included) for 7 yards of a wool/poly blend, heavy coating fabric that appears to have a square pattern about the right size. (I'm not sure exactly how much I will need; I used a lot for my first effort, but it was fully underlined - but I'd always rather be safe than sorry!!) It may have a bit of a sheen - but if not, I may have to get your "Kylo mix" infomation to sheen it up Smile (I figured there would be a way with paint to do so, but if you've got something mastered already, I'd love the help!)

I can't wait to see yours all finished and pics!! Generals unite!! Smile

Thank you, Heather! I will definitely share the 'mix' with you. The sheen is somewhat subtle, but is definitely there. Quite lovely.

I can't wait to see your fabric and your finished costume! Yes!! Generals unite!! Leia Buns
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:
Great find! I’m excited to see this done.

Thank you, Joy!
ROTJ Leia (complete)
AOTC Jamilla (90%)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: