Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5a222dff0425f05003aa48f24ae6a73aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rebel Briefing Room Leia Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not judge but the donut seems ok to me, with no big problem. Only 2 things I see
- The facts that the top circular opening is not touching the cloth helmet could maybe annoying, but I think it would be easier to modify the helmet so that it touch, adding some plastic and bond, but would then need a repaint. See at 24seconds the top view http://www.starwars.com/video/leia-meets-wicket Wink
- Are the indents on the back of the helmet just painted and not sculpted ?

And finally but that's just a matter of taste as this is optional and not required, it lacks the weathering Razz

And your poncho looks great ! Smile
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helmet looks ok from the pics, just missing the dents, if it is made out of plastic line mine was you can just heat it up and push it in then add silver paint to weather it.

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-2018)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Loyalist Senate Gown Padme, Mustafar Padme

Photos by Robbins Studios
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the helmet! I'm getting it for a great price and yes, it IS plastic, so I can definitely add the dents and paint as recommended.

I did a try on of the poncho last night and it's fitting great.

I don't have the bucket with me as my friend still needs it for this weekend but the hood DOES fit over it perfectly when I put the two together.

Just waiting on the blaster holster before I can submit. Neutral

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FIY, I forgot to mention there should be 8 stripes for Leia (don't know how many you have) if you do movies. Funnily, Battlefront Endor Leia as 9 stripes :p
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 in back and 5 in front. I got ‘em. Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Briefing Room Leia, Blue Linen Navy Dress Padme, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by 5 in front ? There are no stripes in the front. There is a logo in yellow and red as you can see on pics of the model I did here http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86414&start=15 and then you have "bumps" where the helmet has been it. Do you man 5 bumps in the front ?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
What do you mean by 5 in front ? There are no stripes in the front. There is a logo in yellow and red as you can see on pics of the model I did here http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86414&start=15 and then you have "bumps" where the helmet has been it. Do you man 5 bumps in the front ?

Sorry. Thought you were referring to the yokes. Lol
Since the bucket is optional, I’m not really focused on it right now. Just wondered if it would be acceptable and since it is, when I do plan on working on it, I will add all the necessary details. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had time to take shots and submitted. We'll see how it goes. endor trooper

Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!
If I may just point one little thing, you are wearing the badge too high on the shoulder, it should be closer to the chest, just under the line of the collar Wink
But I don't think that's problematic to move :p
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ritin Kornas wrote:
Looking great!
If I may just point one little thing, you are wearing the badge too high on the shoulder, it should be closer to the chest, just under the line of the collar Wink
But I don't think that's problematic to move :p

Sad I noticed it after I sent the shots in. Luckily it's just a pin back 3D print so I can easily adjust. Thanks for the input on this build! All help is/was appreciated. Mr. Green

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my changes list from the judge and it was quite extensive. To be fair, I knew my vest could be better but since it was my first attempt at this and I had received positive comments on this build thread, I submitted anyway.

I had to basically remake my entire vest. The yokes were requested to be bigger and the angle on my original pockets wasn't correct as well as a few other stitching details. I was very confused as to how to go about doing the changes but I luckily have friends who could explain the terminology better and show me what needed to be done.

I basically took my existing pattern and enlarged it to make a separate yoke for both front and back. I did not notice that the left side of the vest has a yoke as well. I thought only the right did and that the left was just decorative stitching. I was also asked to make the yoke bigger in proportion to my frame.

Keeping those requests in mind, I cut the pattern larger overall by 1-1.5 inches and also cut it into separate pieces to accommodate for the yoke and seam allowances. I am SURE there is an easier way to do this but that's how I figured it out and that's what I did.
It took me roughly 7 hours of work to remake the entire vest but it came out much better than I had hoped. What took the most time was making sure all the specific measurements were correct.

My shirt also needed a few tweaks as well. I had crossed the placket left over right instead of right over left (I had also been studying Resistance Rey so I think that's why I did that) so that needed to be fixed as well as a complete redo of the sleeves.

I ended up blindstitching the cuffs and they came out really nice. Using an iron to set the seams really helped!

Once the cuffs were done, I set out to make the pocket for them. My error on my first attempt was I did not make an actual functional pocket. I made a fake pocket and flap. That needed to be completely redone.

Using the reference photos, I made a new pattern for the pocket and lined it up as best I could with the cuff.

Once I had the pocket sized correctly, I made the flap for it and pinned it to the shirt before I sewed anything.

When I had it looking like I needed, I made the pocket itself and then added the flap. This also had to be blindstitched to the sleeve. That took a significant amount of time but ended up looking how it needed to look.

Here is a closeup of the finished cuff with pocket.

Once it was all finished, I did a try on with the revised pieces.

I'm awaiting additional feedback before I take any new photos in full costume.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update. I was requested to modify my vest to have it be straight up and down and not angled outwards as my last version was. Luckily I had extra seam allowance and was able to fix it fairly easily.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always heard that the poncho was the hardest part of this costume. I have found that to not be the case. For me, it has been the vest. I am now on my 8th version of this vest. Laughing

I have seen definite improvement on each version so in that, I am happy. I just don't know if I am having so much difficulty with it because of my lack of skill/knowledge or my pattern or the fabric or something else.

In any case, I remade the vest yet again. I think I finally figured it out though so that makes me happy.

For those of you following this, here is a quick sketch I put together that may help you if you are attempting this costume and needed to know what I did to modify my existing pattern.

As a reminder, this is the pattern that I used.

I then went with view H as it was closest to what I needed.

Please excuse my poor attempt at drawing. I am no artist.

This is the progression of the modifications I made to the existing pattern for view H. I made the third modification after the judge informed me the cross front was incorrect.

The colored portion in blue on the last drawing is what I added to the pattern to make it match Leia's. I added an extra inch and instead of going diagonal to the neckline, I went straight up. I also measured how far down the placket/collar went on my shirt and where it (the vest) should ideally curve around and go down.
Here is what the newest version of the vest front looked like after the modifications were made.

The front pattern needed the most modification but I did also alter the back as well.

Once I had the yokes attached etc, I then added in the knife pleat pockets as I had done on previous versions with no issues. For those wondering how I did it, I measured diagonally how far I need to go and then cut a matching piece and added seam allowance. Then attached it to the vest.

I kept with the same sleeve pattern that I used from my past versions. The thing I did differently was I cut the pattern smaller. I had been using a M and it was just not lining up accurately. I cut it down to a S and that worked wonderfully!
This is the pattern I used for the sleeves.

View C

Making those small changes in sizing made a world of difference and they fit exactly how they needed to after that. Very Happy

Did a try on with this new vest this morning with my belt and shirt and it looks worlds better.

I will say this. I am bigger in chest than Carrie. By far. This vest was not designed for people with a bigger cup size. Keep that in mind when you are patterning! If you don't, you will find that the crosses in front don't line up and you will have to redo the front all over again. Confused I learned the hard way.

Keeping all this in mind, I have enjoyed how much I have learned building this costume. I look forward to trooping in it when its approved.

If you're reading this and have questions, please feel free to ask! Mr. Green

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you are keeping at it, even if it's frustrating when you have to keep repatterning, because it just won't work and get right. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
It's good to see you are keeping at it, even if it's frustrating when you have to keep repatterning, because it just won't work and get right. Smile

Thanks, Lora! It has definitely been a learning experience and a challenge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: