Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9abc9f6dd59dfc49b99a2464eff937d4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Arena Padme WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brynn_Achala ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Arena Padme WIP Reply with quote

I am starting Padmé’s Arena Battle Costume, and I will likely make the destructed version as well. I'm copying over my progress thus far from The Ghost Base forums.

I have a seam running down each center front leg that I will topstitch, do I need one in the back center front of each leg as well?

I have a reference pattern for the top and pants, as well as another pattern for the optional cloak.

I plan to use the longest version and make the necessary changes.

This is the pattern I’m using for the top and pants, with the necessary changes.

This 62” wide white cotton spandex fabric is what I’m planning on using for the top and pants.

I’m interested in these boots with alterations if they’d be considered an acceptable start. I would start by removing the buckles, painting them to the right shade, and then adding the "shin guards."

For the shin guards, would it be acceptable to use craft foam to stabilize and shape the correct shade of vinyl and to use an invisible velcro strapping in the back to attach them to the boots?

My idea for the bicep cuffs is to use a heavy weight interfacing and a shiny metallic fabric, no visible stitching, and an invisible stitch on the underside of the arm to bring the short ends together.

I can create the linked look by doing segments.

Reduced the width of the cuff to two inches, creating segments about one and a half inches each.

For the cloak, I have found a lot of options but here is one material I found at Joann Fabrics. I have also researched Waffle, Pique, etc.

This one doesn’t have the circular or diamond design, but it looks like it has a lot of texture.

This is pique:

Here is a link to the Imgur album that contains everything.

https://imgur.com/a/P0DtS[img][/img][img][/img]

Last edited by Brynn_Achala () on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:55 am; edited 4 times in total
Jacobise (Jacob Kimmel)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend's build thread.

Posting to mark notifications and follow. All input is appreciated.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Smile

I'm not entirely sure about the boots, so maybe? Do you have a shot from a different angle of them?

I can say the armbands are too wide and also needs the sectioned look. It might be a good idea to have thin aluminium plates, slightly bended and attached to something underneath to get the right look.

Fabric... Well, hard to say. The cloak fabric will need to deep and rich and show up clearly. Have you looked at different piqué weaves? One done in thicker cotton or wool would be nice.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Brynn_Achala ()

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Hello. Smile

I'm not entirely sure about the boots, so maybe? Do you have a shot from a different angle of them?

I can say the armbands are too wide and also needs the sectioned look. It might be a good idea to have thin aluminium plates, slightly bended and attached to something underneath to get the right look.

Fabric... Well, hard to say. The cloak fabric will need to deep and rich and show up clearly. Have you looked at different piqué weaves? One done in thicker cotton or wool would be nice.

I added another picture of the boots for a different view.
I also added pictures about a shin guard idea.

We guessed they were too wide. They are 3" now, undecided whether to drop down to 2.5 or 2" total. I can create the sectioned look by creating segments with what I did, so I would have more joining edges.

I added a different cloak fabric option, a pique/waffle weave.

I am planning on doubling up the spandex, just not sure if I have to tea dye to get an off white color.

Also, would a belt made from vinyl be acceptable?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the boots can work with modifications. Smile

I'm not sure since there's nothing to compare it to, but I have a suspicion this waffle weave is much too small. I think the pattern is probably very tight.

And yes, you can use vinyl, but make sure to back it properly.

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Brynn_Achala ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Looks like the boots can work with modifications. Smile

I'm not sure since there's nothing to compare it to, but I have a suspicion this waffle weave is much too small. I think the pattern is probably very tight.

And yes, you can use vinyl, but make sure to back it properly.

Great on the boots.

I will keep looking for the cloak material.

I found a cream vinyl which should work nicely, I will back with foam for the boots, and most likely a heavy craft stabilizer for the belt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: