Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=60ccf57ad6aac1e0f4a25183dfd03e32Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookie Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidDuffield ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Wookie Build Reply with quote

Hi Everyone. I'm excited to start a wookie build. A good friend of mine is in 501st with a Darth Maul and a Stormtrooper, and he convinced me. I would like one that is duel able, so I think it will be a Snoova, but we shall see. I will post as parts and pieces come together. I'm a school teacher and retired Marine, so patience is something I have a lot of.
chefhawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck with your build.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Height Reply with quote

What do you all recommend for height? I am 5'8' so I need 16 inches. The mask should give 3", so I need 13 more. Build my own? Or keep searching for the elusive 10-20 inch drywall stilts?
tk42116 (Aaron Darling)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Height Reply with quote

DavidDuffield wrote:
What do you all recommend for height? I am 5'8' so I need 16 inches. The mask should give 3", so I need 13 more. Build my own? Or keep searching for the elusive 10-20 inch drywall stilts?

high stepper bucket stilts. they are 18", but can be cut down to whatever size you need. I'm 5'9" and am keeping them the full 18" so I should hopefully be 7'6" or higher
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my old suit I used 14" Durastilts. The Skywalker stilts were popular for a while but have since been discontinued and the company, Marshalltown, has gotten out of the stilt business altogether.
Both types of stilts are made from aluminium and weigh about 5 pounds each. They feature articulated ankle mechanisms that make it easier to walk, and they have adjustable compression springs (one on the Skywalkers, two on the traditional box stilt design) to control the return/righting action. Both have a maximum weight of 225 pounds. There are fixed length and adjustable length models, with the shortest being 14". Aluminium stilts should be lubricated with a silicone based lubricant like liquid wrench. WD40 is a solvent and will eat aluminium.

Bigfoot Stilts and Stiltwerx are similar types of stilts, but they also feature toe and heel articulation and have no springs. These are the stilts that you see in theme parks like Disney. They are custom made and very expensive, $3000 to $5000.

The high stepper buckets are popular as well. They can be adjusted and cut to any size and are much cheaper than the aluminium variety, although they lack articulation. I know that many people attach calf braces/straps to prevent rolling of the ankle.

Jason Rucci recently made some mods to his that allow him to squat.

As far as other resources, check the links in my signature. I have my old Chewbacca Costuming Resources, which is useful, but hasn't been updated in 10 years. There is also my newer, but still incomplete Wookiee Builders Club site.

Last edited by GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten) on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DavidDuffield ()

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Height Reply with quote

Can a wookie be "too tall"?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Height Reply with quote

DavidDuffield wrote:
Can a wookiee be "too tall"?

It's really a matter of finding the right balance point between height, proportion, and mobility.

The more you try to increase your height, the more proportion becomes a problem, and the more work you have to do to hide this.
With stilts, your legs end up being as big around as the length of your feet. Your knees are also too high and your arms are too short. There are techniques for disguising and minimizing these problems, but they have their limits.

Mobility is also a factor. Stilts, even articulated ones, don't allow you to move as freely as you do when walking on your own two feet. We can walk forward easily enough, but when shifting around or turning, the inability to roll or rotate the foot or use our toes becomes obvious. The only movement the drywall stilts have is forward and backward ankle motion.
You can get very good and nimble walking on stilts. I spent 7 years as a stilted Wookiee (2005 - 2012) and was quite comfortable on them. However, you will not walk like a normal person, or like Chewie does. We stilted Wookiees walk a lot like Jaegers from Pacific Rim. That was mainly what compelled me to use 7" KISS platforms in my new Chewie. However, I'm 6'4" so I'm just tall enough for that to work.
DavidDuffield ()

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Homemade boots Reply with quote

Matt, would you recommend building platform shoes then? Out of foam and a old pair of shoes? Or platform boots and add height to them? 1 would have to get about 10 inches of lift. I'll know more once my mask gets here
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 inches is a bit much for platforms. I would probably go for stilts. Specifically the dura-stilts or similar design. I have some links to stilts of various manufacturers on my Wookiee Feet page.

I talked a lot about the downsides of stilts, but the big problem with platforms is the Frankenstein feet effect. Having a high heel can help hide the height int he slop of the foot (especially if the slope is matched by your Wookiee toes) but after a certain point you end up with ridiculously oversize feet that are out of proportion with the rest of your suit and are difficult to walk in.

Stilts are a better option in this case.
Moriar69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Platforms work great. I use the "KISS boots" which are a 7" platform boot. I then added 4" of foam insulation layered with 3mm plywood between them. Gives me 11" of added lift. I also made the foam and plywood a little wider then the boots giving me better base for walking.

Here is the layering;

Boot
3mm plywood
1" pink insulation foam
1" pink insulation foam
3mm plywood
1" pink insulation foam
1" pink insulation foam
3mm plywood
Non-slip rubber

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YQW7KQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This gives me a great amount of agility, makes walking easier and more natural looking. I can do steps (up and down) and even dance at weddings hahaha!
DavidDuffield ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Boots Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!
DavidDuffield ()

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Mask is in Reply with quote

I just got my mask in! It's a don post 1977 Latex that I plan to color and modify for Snoova. How do I put photos on here to show It?[/img]
chefhawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/Vep2i3nvz0k

Hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: