Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=54cdd51fa7786ea9589735827aeac4ecMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Conversion of Covertec to D-ring hybrid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OddViking ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Conversion of Covertec to D-ring hybrid Reply with quote

I have this saber I love, the Ares saber from SaberForge:

The only issue I have is the Covertec mount doesn't slide well in the belt clip, I think because of the large pommel. If I try and draw it, it usually pulls the clip along with it. So I got to thinking of how to make a D-ring work, and I ended up with this solution that adds a D-ring to the covertec knob, and keeps the functionality of both. Because of the small amount of material to drill in, this takes a decent level of drilling and measuring expertise, so this is not for a casual crafter.

Materials:
A D-ring that is just big enough to fit outside the knob, but thin wire (1/8")

Tools:
Drill (ideally a drill press, or like me, an experienced steady hand and a vice)
small files

Click the images to enlarge

I took a few D-rings, and found one that was almost perfectly sized. I had to cut the weld in the middle to let me stretch it a tiny bit to work. Your Covertec mount may be different, but mine has barely enough room to make this work, so a 1/8" thickness of D-ring was as thick as I wanted to go. Pictured is that small D-ring after cutting and widening.

Check to make sure that once you put it in, it will still have room to freely swivel. I don't have a pic of this, but start with a much smaller drill bit to drill a pilot hole. I used a 1/16" bit, and ran it from both sides. They didn't match perfectly, so keep angling and slowly drilling until your pilot will guide the larger bit to hit the other side. I assume this would work better with a drill press, but in either case, drill from the outside in. Once through, you should see the drill trough come through the back side like this.

Mark where you are going to file the channel into a square. File with a square file and other files, and finish with your drill bit to grind the sides even, ensuring that the D-ring will slide down into the channel.

The D-ring should slide right down to seat into the channel. Now look at what sticks up into the curved area where the saber body will be. You will need to cut away the D-ring back to the area where it stays inside the Covertec mount. Once attached, the ring shouldn't be able to slide side to side too much.

Complete! Re-attach with an allan wrench, and make sure it swivels freely up and down, and doesn't interfere with the Covertec. Mine worked great, but measure twice and be careful, so you don't end up having to order a replacement mount!

Last edited by OddViking () on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZlaAul ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice step-by-step run down on the conversion process. definitely a good reference for anyone who would like to change the way to mount their hilt.

"First comes the day//Then comes the night.
After the darkness//Shines through the light.
The difference, they say, //Is only made right
By the resolving of gray//Through refined Jedi sight."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: