Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a77400430d831b05ce58ead5134f070aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Y Wing Flight Suit Variants?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MothMonty (Greg)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Y Wing Flight Suit Variants? Reply with quote

I read somewhere years ago that there were examples of Pilots wearing ROTJ X-Wing attire but carrying Y-Wing helmets. Am I out to lunch on this one?
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing X-Wing pilots with Y-Wing helmets in ROTJ but I do remember seeing them in the computer game Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire.

I found some pictures of two of the characters from the game in wookiepedia.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Till
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jenn

I googled some more and found the intro from rebel assault 2 on youtube. The pilots Till and Jenn can be seen from 2:48 until they get killed around 3:33. They are wearing X-Wing flight gear and Y-wing helmets while flying X-Wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zY9Js9PsCU

As far as I can remember a lot of pilot gear was mixed up in the game.
MothMonty (Greg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply and all the research and references. It is greatly appreciated
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the costumes were funky in Rebel Assault II. The costumes had the accurate parts but they didn't make the correct outfits. I wouldn't recommend swapping around costume parts like in RAII. Razz

Yet it's still one of my favorite Star Wars games...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I am not opposed to mixing things up a little bit. It shows that the rebel alliance had to use whatever they could get in their hands. Lucas Arts mixed things up in Rebel Assault 2 and Lucas Film is doing the same with the pilots in Rebels. The pilots in Phoenix Squadron give us more options for A-Wing pilots, such as flight suits not only in green but also in blue and red. They wear not only A-Wing helmets but also Y-Wing helmets. Or in case of Hera her special twi'lek helmet. When Mart Mattin joins Hera on her assault on Lothal in season 4 he wears mostly X-Wing equipment but he also wears his own chest box from his first appearance. There is also green squadron from Yavin 4. They can be seen in the last two episodes of season 3 and the episode where Hera does an emergency landing with her Y-Wing in season 4. Green Squadron flies Y-Wings, wear X-Wing equipment and A-Wing helmets.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot suits in Rebels are an entirely different matter. The pilot costumes in Rebels are completely original to the series. Most of them are loosely based on OT pilot costumes but they're not exactly the same, the suits have different pockets different, closures, different details, the vests are detailed differently and constructed differently, the chestboxes are vastly different (especially the A-wing pilots), the ejection harnesses are completely different, even the helmets are different. One style of helmet is kind of a mish-mash of OT A-wing and B-wing pilot helmets and the "Y-wing" helmet is very different from the OT Y-wing pilot helmet, with a lot of different details that make it a completely different helmet.

So yeah, the Rebels pilot variations would be perfectly acceptable, but only for Rebels-styled pilot costumes.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. As far as I understand the legion charter, computer game characters can be approved if their appearance cannot be edited by the player. So if someone wants to recreate the costume of a character from a Rebel Assault 2 cut scene, for instance one of the two pilots that gets killed in the opening scene, they could do it and get approved, couldn't they? Since all the costumes where created by using original costume parts from the OT there should be more than enough references due to the fact that we know those costumes very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: