Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2c86ece97bc5088d2e95f5656d314c44Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Proposed Expansion of Rogue One Trooper CRL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Proposed Expansion of Rogue One Trooper CRL Reply with quote

So I initially proposed this in 2016, right around the time Rogue One came out, but I had little resources to draw upon at the time. Since then though, I've had time to look through all the images I could find or snag from the movie itself, and after looking through it all, it seems that there is indeed a standard uniform among the Rebellion Intelligence and Trooper divisions, with rank badges and minor color differences.

This uniform consists of:

1. High-waisted field jacket with mandarin collar, bloodstripes running down the sleeves to a cuff seam just above the wrist, right breast pocket without flap, left breast pocket with flap, rank badge just above right breast pocket, chest greeblie just above left breast pocket. Colors range from coyote brown, to chocolate brown, to navy blue, to olive green.

2. Beige Rebel bib-shirt with flap that folds over the chest at an angle (same as Cassian's shirt). Worn with mandarin-style collar, or folded down collar.

3. Fatigue-style tactical pants, with cargo pockets on the sides, elastic waist and ankles. Color ranges from coyote brown, to navy blue, to chocolate brown, as with the jackets.

These features are common among the officers and operatives gathered at Yavin Base, as well as being part of the uniform worn by the Rebel Troopers on Scarif, beneath their flak vests. Further proof is in the fact that Cassian wears this uniform throughout the film, possesses both a flak vest, as well as the thicker, padded trousers seen on some of the Scarif troopers, and uses the same weaponry and equipment seen among the troopers at Scarif.

The easier of the two options would obviously be to expand the existing CRL, which basically would only mean that members doing the trooper costume would now have the option to go without helmet and/or vest, and be permitted to carry an A280 sidearm in place of the rifles (the rifle and the sidearms are the same weapon anyway). This wouldn't be difficult, and wouldn't compromise the standards already in place, just give those doing costumes more freedom to be creative in their personal touches on the characters. I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this, because it would be great to see more troopers.

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Knight of the New Jedi Order
Temple: Stormfront
Captain, Rebellion/New Republic Intelligence
Home Base: Ra Kura (Florida)
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense to me. Sort of how in WW2 there was the Airborne M42 uniform, the HBT infantry uniform, and the khaki hot weather combat uniform. Troopers could then add wool shirt, sweater, etc. depending on personal choice. Looking at your screen caps, it looks like some troopers have the same uniform with slight variations in color and how the zippers are fastened; very reminiscent of the WW2 uniform spectrum.
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah exactly. That was the line of thought that made me start to consider this. I think there's more than sufficient sourcing in universe to support this idea as well. Who is in charge of the costume standards for this?

Member:
Kyle Katarn
Knight of the New Jedi Order
Temple: Stormfront
Captain, Rebellion/New Republic Intelligence
Home Base: Ra Kura (Florida)
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the guys in the screen caps fit in the Alliance Officers category, which is a different detachment. The rank badges on several of them indicate Captains and Commanders.

Even if they did belong in this detachment, it would need to be a different CRL because its a different costume. No need increase the complication on an already complicated CRL.

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sleuthing and excellent pics! It is neat to see that same jacket pattern used in several different uses.

I would second the idea that these uniforms you've presented belong in the Officers detachment. They'll fit in well with the Cassian Andor standard that already exists there, which describes the "bloodstripe" jacket in detail, even though we know that is the same jacket the Rebel Marines use.

I will also post this pic from the Rogue One: Ultimate Visual Guide that shows Sefla with his flack jacket off, which is a similar coloration as this other pic you showed:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: