Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1c82fb34f37c71b67dd3393e05acfa2eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Proposed Expansion of Rogue One Troop CRL (Ops Trooper)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Proposed Expansion of Rogue One Troop CRL (Ops Trooper) Reply with quote

So I initially proposed this in 2016, right around the time Rogue One came out, but I had little resources to draw upon at the time. Since then though, I've had time to look through all the images I could find or snag from the movie itself, and after looking through it all, it seems that there is indeed a standard uniform among the Rebellion Intelligence and Trooper divisions, with rank badges and minor color differences.

UPDATE:

Some have brought it to my attention that the uniform is used very widely, and that, although we don't know the specifics of the other troopers' jobs, it seems to be a general "army" uniform for Operations. Thus, I've amended the title of the standards to reflect this, and we will call this new group "Generic Ops Trooper". The standards will for the most part remain unchanged, aside from the removal of rank badges.

This uniform consists of:

---------------------------------------

1. Jacket-
Should be Coyote Brown, Medium Brown or Olive Brown in color. Sleeves have "blood stripe" detail from shoulder to cuff in colors alternate to the jacket color (if jacket is lighter brown, stripes must be darker brown and vice-versa). The jacket has a mandarin collar, left and right breast pockets, with a flap on the left-hand pocket only (pocket should have no visible securing snaps or buttons).

Optional: Screen-accurate compad inset above the left breast pocket.

2. Shirt-
Tan/Beige coloring, with rectangular bib. Outer flap either fastened straight across, or folded diagonally across the chest. No visible means of closure such as buttons or snaps.

3. Pants-
Khaki/Coyote Brown colored utility trousers with elastic cuffs at the ankles. Cargo-style pockets along the outside of each leg, with top flap, and no visible closure buttons or snaps. No back pockets. Pant ankles should be worn tucked into boots/boot toppers.

4. Belt-
Olive/Khaki/Coyote Brown colored web belt with roll-pin buckle OR flat rectangular buckle plate with accurate greeblie detailing.

5. Boots-
Dark brown or black leather/leather-like lace-up combat boots. Matching flaps or boot toppers to completely cover laces. One horizontal strap across the lace flap/boot topper where the foot meets the ankle. No visible zippers, but discrete inside zippers are permitted. No buckles on boots, flaps or toppers.

----------------------------------------

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command

Last edited by Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco) on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense to me. Sort of how in WW2 there was the Airborne M42 uniform, the HBT infantry uniform, and the khaki hot weather combat uniform. Troopers could then add wool shirt, sweater, etc. depending on personal choice. Looking at your screen caps, it looks like some troopers have the same uniform with slight variations in color and how the zippers are fastened; very reminiscent of the WW2 uniform spectrum.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah exactly. That was the line of thought that made me start to consider this. I think there's more than sufficient sourcing in universe to support this idea as well. Who is in charge of the costume standards for this?

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like the guys in the screen caps fit in the Alliance Officers category, which is a different detachment. The rank badges on several of them indicate Captains and Commanders.

Even if they did belong in this detachment, it would need to be a different CRL because its a different costume. No need increase the complication on an already complicated CRL.

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando, Rebel Marine (Scarif) - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great sleuthing and excellent pics! It is neat to see that same jacket pattern used in several different uses.

I would second the idea that these uniforms you've presented belong in the Officers detachment. They'll fit in well with the Cassian Andor standard that already exists there, which describes the "bloodstripe" jacket in detail, even though we know that is the same jacket the Rebel Marines use.

I will also post this pic from the Rogue One: Ultimate Visual Guide that shows Sefla with his flack jacket off, which is a similar coloration as this other pic you showed:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, guys I really appreciate the aid on this! And thanks for the additional image!, it took awhile going through the movie over and over and I never actually saw him in that shot without his vest! Lol

As for the existing vs new CRL subject, I actually suggested that the first time I proposed this a year ago, and was told at the time that they wouldn't count as command for some reason. The reason I suggested incorporating this outfit into RAID in general was because some of them aren't wearing rank badges at all, so I figure the uniform is a standard thing for the entire Intelligence division. That being said, I'm all for a new CRL being created for this character type, I'd just need some support on that idea from those in charge of RAID for it to make any kind of headway, because basically whenever I try to put forward a new CRL, I get told I'm wrong whichever way I slice it, lol.

If we create a "Generic Intelligence Officer" costume type, then I think since they aren't "face" characters, and there is variations in their outfits in terms of color, accessories and general appearance, it shouldn't be too difficult to write up some standards. The base requirements would come down to:

1. Field jacket w/bloodstrips on sleeves, chest greeblie and rank badge. Olive green/coyote brown/navy blue in color.

2. Rebel Bib shirt, white/beige in color.

3. Fatigue pants w/cargo pockets and elastic ankles. Coyote brown/chocolate brown in color.

4. Web belt with rectangular buckle plate, black/brown in color.

5. Field boots tall enough to cover pants ankles, no laces. Black/brown in color.
OR
Leather boot toppers that conceal laces (Cassian's boots have laces when he removes his topper to retrieve his lockpick). Toppers must match color of boots.

Optional accessories:

1. Accurate flak vest w/chest greeblie, blue or coyote brown in color. If blue, must have a weathered yellow square high on the right breast of vest, just below shoulder seam.

2. Leather gun belt, black in color, slung diagonally from the hip w/leather holster fastened to leg by leather strap. Six cylindrical metal objects (flares) in bullet slots along the back, or side of belt (opposite side of holster).

3. Era-appropriate sidearm blaster (preferably BlasTech A180, or A280 CFE).
OR
Era-appropriate blaster rifle used by Rebellion forces in Rogue One (Preferably A180 in sniper configuration or A280 in service/sniper configuration).

4. Additional accurate belt pouches or accessories (flares, explosives, etc).

Costume notes:

If wearer chooses not to carry a blaster, they cannot wear the flak vest, or additional pouches on belt, as these are strictly "combat" accessories, and thus would not be worn while unarmed.

Weapons carried must be appropriate to officer class. Cannot carry sidearm and rifle together. No heavy weaponry such as heavy repeaters, rocket/missile launchers, etc.

Rank badge cannot be "General" or above, as this requires a different set of clothing articles (alternate color scheme to jacket/ altogether different jacket, etc) not standard to this uniform.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would say is that some of these characters are wearing rank badges and should probably be in the Officers group, not in here. But, I have no idea how to sort all of this out.

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I just submit it to get in direct contact with a judge and try to work it out that way then? Most everyone that has responded to this thread seems to support the idea (albeit with the Officer change), but nobody seems to know how to go to a next step haha.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
jthatcher (Jim Thatcher)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc_with_a_Bryar wrote:
Should I just submit it to get in direct contact with a judge and try to work it out that way then? Most everyone that has responded to this thread seems to support the idea (albeit with the Officer change), but nobody seems to know how to go to a next step haha.

I'd start this same discussion in the Officer forum. Smile

Jim Thatcher
R.A.I.D. Endor Commando, Rebel Marine (Scarif) - 307th Desert Rats
C.O.R. Captain Rex - Anooba Squad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol fair enough. I'll keep this thread open in case anyone else wants to chime in, or if the other thread needs to refer to it.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone still looking into this character group? I noticed that there is no discussion of the ones with rank badges in the Officers detachment...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trucking along on this movement, haha. I actually just posted in the Officers thread to try to re-ignite interest, so we will see if it brings anyone back. I actually submitted a costume for it so hopefully that will get approved and give people an in to make it.

Current Officers thread:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94340

Full research thread:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93132

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would encourage you to keep researching this.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing that, but I'm at a bit of an impasse. I've got the officer standards being worked on in the Command detachment, but I'm sort of just waiting for judges to push it to the next level.

For RAID purposes, we could probably have this uniform also be used for Rebel army privates, given Weems and a few other rankless Alliance personnel that we see without badges, but wearing the same uniform. How would you feel about that?

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Terran S (Terran Stewart)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have I not noticed this thread?!

Catching up...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Rogue One All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: