Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d3d56f3faee966e5edaee89d2b17e45aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A WIP for Delaware's First Chewbacca?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: A WIP for Delaware's First Chewbacca? Reply with quote

Good Morning and greetings everyone.
I am a current RL member with my 212th clone and a member of the 501st with a TFA Kylo and RotJ Vader.
I am at the point that I want to retire my clone and so I am ready for a new project. Delaware doesn't have a wookie so why not take the leap. I have been reading a ton of information and build threads here in addition to some blogs like "let the wookie win".
I have already picked up the mesh for my suit and know what synthetic hair I need to order. I do have some questions though that I couldn't quite figure out due to the fact that so many threads have images that no longer work.
1) I am 6'4" so it seems like stilts are out as an option for me as they will make me too tall. Which of these boots would work better for me?
Funtasma-Pleaser-Mens-Halloween-Monster-02(has a 4.75 lift)
Mens White Frank Platform 60s Ankle Boots (5" lift)
Mens Black Fringe Platform KISS Gene Simmons Boots on EBay (7" lift)
2) I see plenty of posts about blowdryng the hair to straighten it before latch hooking. Some threads have mentioned using a hackle but I don't see where to use it during the build or what its purpose is. When you get your hair bundles do you group the hair somehow and how much gets latched? Do you latch in every mesh circle? I saw in one build thread that it looked very bushy so want to make sure.
3) The mask. From what I have seen how good your Chewie is comes down to the mask. Everything else could be great but if your mask is bad, the whole costume looks bad. $2500 is a bit out of my range right now for the best but how does this look? Builder uses the 27 and 44 synthetics so matching to my suit should be an issue. No mouth movement as it is a latex mask. Goes for $475.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-Costume-Chewbacca-mask-latex-mask-prop/122901549964?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49451%26meid%3Dfbedca2f1a3e43efab854e8df16cd0b9%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D122901549964&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%253A832c94e0-f6e5-11e7-9662-74dbd1806369%257Cparentrq%253Ae5dfa1e71600a9c477a6163affe5f346%257Ciid%253A1
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the wookiee world. I have just started doing the hair on my wookiee so am not an expert but I was on the forums and doing my homework before the whole Photobucket thing.

For lifts - you have to be 7' minimum so the Kiss boots would get you to 6 foot 11 inches and the mask should get you to 7 feet at least. The other option is buy lower lifts and added height with the pink hard insulation foam to them to make the foot shape and add more height. There are several posts that show that option and still have images showing.

I didn't blow dry my hair to straighten it, I bought a cheap straightener and used that on the lowest setting. It straightened the hair without giving it that glossy look that can happen, and it was fast as you don't want it too straight so I just gave it a quick pass.

The hackle is used to mix the hair colors and to help separate the hair to make it easy to pull just a few hair at a time for hooking. I haven't use one yet but many people have and swear by them.

I can't tell you anything about the mask as I don't know enough about them. Hopefully one of the seasoned wookies can give you answers on that.

I hope that helps a bit.

Have fun with the build.
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw lots of the insulation for added height also but was hoping the 7" boots plus mask would be enough since I ma starting at 6'4". The less I needed to add the better as I figured it would make walking easier. Just wanted to make sure so thanks for the feedback.
What about shoulderpads? I am a slim framed guy so any tips on if they are truly necessary? Definitely want to get them if needed before I build my mesh suit.
Big Bear ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a woman so I definitely needed to add width in the shoulders. I went to a local sports resale place and found a great pair of barley used hockey shoulder pads. I think some kind of shoulders pads are used by most of the people on here as wookies have broad shoulders.
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does the format of my post here seem different than everyone else? Mine seems to go so far to the right that I need to use the scroll bar but everyone else fits on one screen. Hmm.
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the boots I am leaning to. These are the ones that say 7". If I flare out the legs of the mesh suit I shouldn't have an of the weird bump correct?

This was the mask I was considering.

Last edited by CT90674 () on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! I personally don’t recommend straightening hair. In my experience, it makes the Hair overly slick and shiny. I use Rastafri brand as it’s straighter to begin with. The boots really only add 5” of height, so a lot of folks buy a size larger and use internal lifts.

As far as the mask, I don’t recommend the one you have in that photo. Evil Chimp, Wookiee Works, and Wookiee Workshop are best for finished masks. Feel free to ask any questions you’d like! We’re here to help!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Bacca! I will go a size up on the boots for lifts just in case. Any specific provider you recommend for the hair you used? Were you able to get all your colors from the same place?
Are these the ones you are talking about?
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-b44-gunmetal-rastafri/
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-27-strawberry-blond-rastafri/

I contacted all the others you mentioned for masks. Evil Chimp is only focusing on full suits currently. I know the others also make great stuff but I can't swing $2500 for just the mask right now. Might be something to upgrade later.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, ikickshins.net is where all my hair comes from!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi CT90674!

I don't think you'll be able to get that mask into an approvable state, imo. I'm not a judge obviously, but in my opinion, the shape isn't right. The face is too flat, the sheen of the hair is VERY high for some reason on Paul's masks. A couple of other issues. His prices are good but you get what you pay for.

A few old timers still have build threads floating around out there about how they sculpted, cast, and then haired their own masks. It's a considerable project, but it's something you can learn:

https://wookiecostuming.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/sculpting-chewbacca/

Just incidentally, I'm accepting commissions for heads right now. I actually prefer to do just heads over full suits. Smile Mine aren't $2500, but they're not as cheap as Paul's. Here's a recent mask of mine:

Feel free to message me if you want.

Good luck with your build! Wookiees are a LOT of work. Probably the most time consuming and effort intensive build in the RL, but SO worth it!
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I had my doubts about that mask too which is why I wanted to ask the experts here. I am definitely interested and was planning on shooting you a message. The mask looks great btw!

Last edited by CT90674 () on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So based on research it looks like I should order the following?
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-b44-gunmetal-rastafri/ x8
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-27-strawberry-blond-rastafri/ x 15
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-6-chestnut-brown-rastafri/ x16
http://ikickshins.net/kanekalon-jumbo-braid-4-dark-brown-rastafri/ x8

Do these quantities sound like the right amount of hair for my size? Then how much extra of which do I need if I go with someones mask kit?
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors seem good to me. Quantities will always be tricky. Depends on your blending and latching styles, imo.

Since hair is cheap, I'd err on the side of too much. Although TBH I still have a pretty large remainder from my first suit. Smile
CT90674 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boots have been ordered! IKickShins cart is full of hair, just need next paycheck to order it.lol
Uffizzi (Norman Gugliotta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Wookiee building! MTFBWY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: