Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=222796c333b5c33a1e43632d93e2029cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amilyn Holdo costume standards discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedibarriss (Teresa Becker)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the cowl front mention as it is not in this description. The key feature about the front of this dress is the cowling that extends to the bra line.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little rewording and expanding on the dress portion of the standard proposed, in bullet point form because I find that kind of stuff helpful for clarity and making sure details don't get buried in the middle of a paragraph:

The costume should be made from a puce/mauve colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518).
Accurate neck piece
    *The neck piece should be closely fitted to the neck
    *It should be gathered and drape down into the front of the dress
    *It should have two flat back panels that lay flat against each other and close with either an invisible zipper or hooks. If hooks are used, there should be no gaps in the back.
    *It should allow for both collarbones to show

Oversized hood
    *Hood should drape to the bottom of the bottocks
    *Hood should be no wider than your back and not reach over the shoulders
    *Hood should have multiple drapes to it to match the reference
    *The hood should have a long, gathered matching piece of fabric that drapes to the floor, or no more than 1 inch off the floor, attached to the left shoulder.

Dress
    *The dress should have side seams and a center seam in back
    *The neckline should be wide and draped across the chest, leaving collarbones open, and the draped ends should tuck over the shoulder and back under the hood.
    *The dress should be floor length with an optional train
    *Sleeves are long and fitted

Those are my two cents!

EDIT: Oh and also the sizing on the bracelets is off! I can get a ruler tomorrow and find out the exact dimensions but I have a pair of the screen accurate bracelets and they are definitely not 5" tall. If I had to take a guess just by looking, I'd say they're 4", but I'll get some accurate dimensions your way shortly.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Celestia Delegation Leader
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this style of a standard because it is clearer than in paragraph form.

Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an option..

good price

https://www.amazon.com/Mauve-Rayon-Spandex-Jersey-Fabric/dp/B00C2BNRTG

something else in mauve
https://www.stylishfabric.com/mauve-b-light-rayon-spandex-jersey-knit-fabric.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNfSBRCSARIsAL-u3X_t_ajJaqDX0VxmJaddZvvamtf3yAZh2rR0ADtw14-wWsOD1oeg3QoaAvZHEALw_wcB
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:

EDIT: Oh and also the sizing on the bracelets is off! I can get a ruler tomorrow and find out the exact dimensions but I have a pair of the screen accurate bracelets and they are definitely not 5" tall. If I had to take a guess just by looking, I'd say they're 4", but I'll get some accurate dimensions your way shortly.

copy that Lisa....

we could put a range of 4 to 5" on the bracelet...
once again...people's bodies are very different....for example...I do have freakishly short arms and anything I buy always have sleeves that are waaaaaay to long....so 4" might look right on some and 5" on others...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue tat 5" wouldn't look right on most people; Laura Dern herself has long and skinny arms so people with shorter arms would want to err on the side of smaller bracelets if anything but I definitely agree, a small range should be accepted.

Also, turns out I was even overestimating at 4"- the screen accurate bracelets are 3.5", which can be compared with my 3D printed ones at 4":

Apologies for the hand-drawn marks; I transferred them from the ruler app on my phone so I could actually take a photo.

In any case, I'd probably word it something like "The original bracelets are 3.5" tall, bracelets should be geometric silver metallic-look bracelet cuffs proportional to the wearer"

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I did refine the description as per the recommendation...

Dress:
Made from a puce colored jersey or stretch fabric with exceptional draping quality. The fabric should stay in the color range of puce that appears brown but during movement can shift in puce color range to a muted purple (see Pantone 19-1518).

Accurate neck piece
*The neck piece should be closely fitted to the neck
*It should be gathered and drape down into the front of the dress
*It should have two flat back panels that lay flat against each other and close with either an invisible zipper or hooks. If hooks are used, there should be no gaps in the back.
*It should allow for both collarbones to show

Oversized hood
*Hood should drape to the bottom of the bottocks
*Hood should be no wider than your back and not reach over the shoulders
*Hood should have multiple drapes to it to match the reference
*The hood should have a long, gathered matching piece of fabric that drapes to the floor, or no more than 1 inch off the floor, attached to the left shoulder.

Dress
*The dress should have side seams and a center seam in back
*The neckline should be wide and draped across the chest, leaving collarbones open, and the draped ends should tuck over the shoulder and back under the hood.
*The dress should be floor length with a train panel on left side that goes to the floor or no more than an inch from the floor.
*Sleeves are long and fitted

Shoes/boots:

Boots should be at least over the ankle and be covered in the same/similar fabric and color as the dress. The toe of the boot should be slightly rounded and a conservative/chunky heel.

Hair:
Hair should be styled as seen on screen and in reference photos. Color should be muted purple in color. Applicant can use either a wig or can color and style their own hair.

Jewelry/Accessories:
Jewelry should match the look and feel of screen used items.
Applicant must have the silver semi circular "tiara" at the back of the hair as seen on screen.
Applicant must have two silver cuff bracelets with angular cut outs and should be proportional to the wearer and can fall in a range of approx. 4-5" depending on arm length.
Applicant must have silver earrings that are semi circular at the ear with small light purple stones that dangle from the bottom.
Applicant can have one or both of the rings. One is oval, gold, and has a pink-ish stone and the other is round, silver, with opalescent stones.
Close ups of jewelry and accessories can be viewed on page 40 of the Visual Dictionary from "The Last Jedi".

Optional:

DDC Defender 5 blaster
nail polish to match screen color

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
silvermitt ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The requirements for this costume is starting to remind me of the Zam CRL, which is at 8 pages and counting. I get that you have to nail down some specifics. Really I do. But it's starting to make me nervous to cut into the material I ordered. And scare me from trying to make this.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards for this dress are fairly comparable to the average Royalty standard these days, which is the closest analog we have for a costume like this. I made this dress before we had a standard, and it's kind of intimidating regardless. However, Checklists like these can help break a project down into smaller parts. I haven't suggested a single thing here that I didn't put into my own dress.

Each point is made for a reason- they're small things you could miss, but easy to catch if you just know to watch for it ahead of time.

Also, if you're having fear of fabric cutting, I highly recommend getting some cheap JetSet and doing a mockup. I would recommend that anyway, just because getting the drape/fit of this dress correct might take some noodling, and it's best to be confident when you cut into the good stuff.

Sew Corellian
KJO Council
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa.. did you cut out those bracelets ? If so , a flat image would be helpful.
Then I could try it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fabric option.. ???
I just ordered a swatch

fabricoption by Teresa Becker, on Flickr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: