Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0eba5655b62d358dfcbd599e61927330Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X wing pilot build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moreorless37 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: X wing pilot build Reply with quote

Hi all! So this Christmas was the year of the X wing pilot for me, and I am now starting on the build! I started with the helmet, a Darthhair

This is where she sits for now, the tape is off and the mohawk strip is nice and secure. The only thing that is giving me trouble right now is the cap. it had a few air bubbles that were bugging me so I filled them, and my paint isn't sticking to the filler very well for some reason and making these little divots where the air bubbles were. But I think I have a solution so I'm not too worried. This is what I plan on doing with it

So what else I got was orange coveralls and a chest box kit (hole in the ground props)

will be drilling a hole and getting a hose and straps for it. Any recommendations for hoses would be greatly appreciated. I also have a Custom Costumes vest on order.
So that's where I am at for now, and due to automotive repair related expenses the rest of the parts will have to wait a little while Laughing
JonathanRL (Jonathan R Lundkvist)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose is suprisingly easy. Try your local electronics store and check out the hoses for washing or dishwashing machines. They are usually good.

The hose connector is a wee bit different though. You should also have a clear idea on how to connect it to your suit. I sewn mine on but others use magnets to keep it in place since it makes it easier to wash the flight suit.

Good luck!
michmalo (Michael Maloney)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helmet looks great, I'd check that box though, I had the same one that I bought from them and it would've required a lot of modifying in order to be acceptable. I ended up buying a new one from a different supplier and saved myself the headache.
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jonathan!

Thanks for the heads up michmalo, I knew there will be quite a bit of modding, so I am prepared for it. If you could give me a link to what needs to be modded if you have one it would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a link on hand but if you do a search you should find some good reference pics and you'll notice the depth of the slots under the rocker switches aren't going to be deep enough on the one you have. I ended up buying my box here on the forum and it's great.

You should save this post as reference in the future if you have questions:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8851

Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! I will be starting to mod my chestbox soon and when I get home I have some updates to upload Very Happy

However, I have another question, would these boots be ok to use?
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-leather-jackboots-surplus/30216
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreorless37 wrote:
Thanks for all the help! I will be starting to mod my chestbox soon and when I get home I have some updates to upload Very Happy

However, I have another question, would these boots be ok to use?
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/finnish-leather-jackboots-surplus/30216

Those boots should be fine. If they are too tall, you can blouse the jumpsuit leg down over the top of them some.

David L.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed those boots should be fine but you can also find good ones on Amazon that will work as well if you want to shop locally.
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the help everybody! Making this build alot easier so I don't have to guess so much lol. So here are those pics I promised! fully painted/decaled and weathered

I used the decals darthhair supplied and some automotive pinstriping
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and simple. I like it. Smile

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I think my helmet is pretty much done. I just have a few questions on it

The questions are about the mic tip and the chinstrap. Is the exposed buckle ok? And should I sew and clip off the excess elastic? And I would prefer to leave the mic tip off, that is an optional accessory, right?

Again, thanks very much for all the help. Today may begin the modding of my flightsuit Smile
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH had the microphone tips, ESB did not. Depends on what you are going for. If you have it, use it.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, a few things. firstly, I can't do the mic tip, the way I have to put on the helmet with my glasses makes it impossible.
Second, and this is gonna be a really noobish question, but the patterns for the flightsuit pockets aren't making sense to me. Do the measurements include seam allowances? if so, what are they?
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The measurements are for the finished pockets. They are only a guideline and should be adjusted as needed.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Moreorless37 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy that! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: