Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6e7b4af80f9b53a1262f428034392d39Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Admiral Ackbar TFA Boots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midichlorianlori (Lori Frye)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Admiral Ackbar TFA Boots Reply with quote

I am having a terrible time finding accurate boots for Admiral Ackbar from Episode 7. They are similar to the Po-Zu boots used for the Resistance Officers in style, but they are a much darker brown color, and Po-Zu only carries the lighter brown and black.

Does anyone have ideas about a potential source for these boots? I've been searching the web for hours and suspect I'll be dreaming about dark brown mid-calf flat sole boots tonight.

A picture of the boots is in the first photo here: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73585

They are a shiny dark brown material that doesn't look like any of the boots that I'm finding.

The Po-Zu brown boots are here:
http://po-zu.com/collections/mens-boots/products/well-2-brown

But they are a lot lighter.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wondering why Rebel Legion has trouble getting new members, this thread is evidence why. I posted this question almost a year ago. 244 views and not one single response, not even from a costume judge responsible for the costume. How are you supposed to get a costume approved with this lack of response to questions?
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try contacting one of the people who have made that costume. A quick look through the roster brings up three people with TFA Ackbar costumes:

Deano of Elstree Base
chadder of Ra Kura Base
Fox of Sunrider Base
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
You might try contacting one of the people who have made that costume. A quick look through the roster brings up three people with TFA Ackbar costumes:

Deano of Elstree Base
chadder of Ra Kura Base
Fox of Sunrider Base

Thanks for the information, Matt!
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano did an amazing conversion on his boots, however we (elstree base) lost our entire forum before xmas.

It would have been his pics that i nabbed and posted for you, but they are alas not there. It may be a while befor we reproduced all the recent WIPS

The boots are basically the 'PO-ZU poe boots' https://pozu.com/products/poe-black-mens they will need the logos removing and possibly dying, i think they do black and light brown. Also they start from a euro 41, which i believe is like a uk 8.

They are the same boots for most of the fleet officers and some other officers. I am alas a size 6uk so am looking at converting a flat sole like a blowfish or rocketdog with the additions of a strap etc.

Hope this helps.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
Deano did an amazing conversion on his boots, however we (elstree base) lost our entire forum before xmas.

It would have been his pics that i nabbed and posted for you, but they are alas not there. It may be a while befor we reproduced all the recent WIPS

The boots are basically the 'PO-ZU poe boots' https://pozu.com/products/poe-black-mens they will need the logos removing and possibly dying, i think they do black and light brown. Also they start from a euro 41, which i believe is like a uk 8.

They are the same boots for most of the fleet officers and some other officers. I am alas a size 6uk so am looking at converting a flat sole like a blowfish or rocketdog with the additions of a strap etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is very helpful! I thought the Po-Zu boots would be the best base, since they looked like the right style, but wanted to get feedback since the color wasn't right and they are quite expensive. I didn't want to sink a lot of money into them if they couldn't be approved. I'm guessing it would be easier to darken the light brown boots rather than lighten the black boots.
Fox ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I am sorry for not spending much time on the forums as I used to.
I am a fellow Ep. VII Ackbar, and yes, the boots were the hardest to find.
For my “good enough” boots, I got the cheap $30 pair of Funtasma brown boots off of eBay.
I then shortened them and made the strap across the top.
That sufficed, but I wasn’t satisfied. The sole is all wrong.
I found a “Finn Ep. VIII” boot on eBay from a maker in China, and even though I have had ZERO luck with Chinese “cosplay” companies, this Time was going to be different. The pictures looked great. Perfect color, perfect sole, and they took tons of measurements. And they were only $56!!
Long story short: DO NOT BUY from them. Fortunately, after hearing my complaints long enough, I got a full refund, but it cost me $23 to ship back.
They were terrible.
Now, I did what you have suggested.
Po-Zu “Poe boots” in brown are on sale from £199 to £139.
They just had a special “limited time sale” for an additional 20% off. My total was £111 including shipping. (That was $156 USD). Still expensive, but I was done shopping around. I got leather darkener and will go from there. I have good feelings about it. Hopefully, the darkener will camouflage the Rebel symbol on the strap better too.
I don’t know if the sale is still going on, but they are always having sales. You can try the promo code “EXTRA20” and see if it still works.
Good luck!
Fox ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Po-Zu is offering 20% off again with the code:
LASTCHANCE20
Every little bit helps!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is frustrating- I ordered the boots, waiting for months, and Po-Zu just canceled my order because they are out of stock.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out, it is lucky that Po-Zu canceled my order. I am working with Giovanni from Crow Props to make Admiral Ackbar boots that are more accurate that the Poe boots would be. I will keep you posted on how they turn out.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

midichlorianlori wrote:
As it turns out, it is lucky that Po-Zu canceled my order. I am working with Giovanni from Crow Props to make Admiral Ackbar boots that are more accurate that the Poe boots would be. I will keep you posted on how they turn out.

I've heard good things about his boots. Smile Let us know how they turn out?

In general, boots can be difficult. The PoZu ones are closest as far as ready made, but it is possible to mod others so that they work too. Completely flat soles can be difficult to find, but I've seen some that had a suuuper low heel that would probably work with modification. (I think it was Camper that had a couple of styles?)
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still waiting on my crow props boots, I did a post for my base on boots to mod, if you want me to post it kristina?
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenebris wrote:
Im still waiting on my crow props boots, I did a post for my base on boots to mod, if you want me to post it kristina?

That would be awesome, Empathy! <3 Thanks so much!
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1025360#1025360

That's it, I wasn't sure where you wanted it so just put it in our main board, feel free to move it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: