Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=438dd723410182c2ba77dd2420c72ea0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ground up flight suit build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobi ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Ground up flight suit build Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever done a ground up flight suit build? I am hoping to hone my sewing skills with this project and wondered what pitfalls others may have experienced? Pattern you used? I was going to use rip stop (for a unique military appeal) and someone on staff said that would probably be fine as long as it isn't too shiny but after reading up on the material more I found that it isn't breathable, like.. at all. So I'm looking at cottons or duck cloth instead. I'll have semi-professional help so I shouldn't get into too much trouble. Still, any help from those who have gone before me is appreciated! Smile
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have with my friend. Smile
And am still working on it. Wink Unfortunately our wip is currently without pictures, because Photobucket, but sooner or later I'll get around to fixing it. Rolling Eyes

Okay, don't make it too fitted, and make sure you have a long crotch. I think we ended up about 10 cm extra just hanging to be able to sit and crouch in the suit.
You will end up with an ugly arse and if you don't then you are doing it wrong. Razz

We picked up cotton cordura for this, so that fabric can breathe. I know a cotton/poly mix is pretty commonly used.

And just so you know, every triangle point for the closures are annoying to make. Definitely make a template you can draw your sewing line around so it doesn't go off kilter. (Needed for the collar and cuffs).

Um, legs should go straight down. Legs don't have cuffs, they are simply hemmed.

I don't know how much our wip are worth without the pics, but you are welcome to go digging through it and see if any of our notes make sense without pictures. (It hasn't been updated in a while, so you'll need to go to page 2 to find it, I think).

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Bobi ()

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through your WIP and I would love to see pics if you get those up! Did you get your boots online or luck out at a thrift store?

Last edited by Bobi () on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I will get those pictures back up some day, but there's a ton to rehost and relink, and I have several threads I need to do this with. So far I've done... one. Rolling Eyes

Actually, I lucked out one day when I was strolling through town and happened to finally find a pair of boots in the right style without straps, buckles and/or rivets all over the place. I felt very happy that day.
I don't have large feet so german WWII boots are generally too large for me. My puny size 38 (European sizing) makes buying men's footwear... interesting. But on the upside I can shop for footwear in Japan. Wink

http://headoftheclones.proboards59.com/index.cgi -if you like FF of the crazy kind. Wink Clone Leader
Womp Rat (Garrett Studhalter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: flight suit Reply with quote

for what it's worth, a lot of pilots have ordered the mechanic coveralls from www.workingclassclothes.com in orange. If you buy two of them, you get one extra for use of the extra fabric for pockets, neck and wrist cuffs, etc. The trick as well is because of that you can order two different sizes, and see what fits best to keep.

You could even buy use and tear it apart just for purposes of the pattern if you wanted to make something more fitted.
Bobi ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely take a look at those and keep them in mind! Truthfully though I am really looking forward to being able to say that I made from scratch. I like self inflicted torture like that Wink
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobi wrote:
I'll definitely take a look at those and keep them in mind! Truthfully though I am really looking forward to being able to say that I made from scratch. I like self inflicted torture like that Wink

Aye. Smile And it gets more accurate than when you use those suits, too. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: