Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8d23440879754cd636b74b3a7c15a62fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso: WIP Build Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robinburks ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso: WIP Build Thread Reply with quote

I've begun work on my Jyn Erso costume and so I wanted to go ahead and upload some work in progress photos and information of things that I've already done. Forgive me if I get a little loopy, I've spent the day working on the "pants of pain" or so I have dubbed them. LOL

This costume is a mix of things I've made, plus things I've bought/commissioned.

I started with the gloves from Endor Finders. I distressed them with some dark brown shoe polish and a watered down acrylic paint:

For the boots, I went with a combat pair I found on Poshmark for $6. They're a Target brand, but they only say Target, so I'm not sure which Target brand they are. But $6!!! I ordered a half size up so I could put insoles in them.

Here are the boots before I added the details:

I'm a member of the Jyn Erso - Stardust Sisters group on Facebook, which has some amazing resources for those of us working on this costume. I used files I got there to cut out the boot flaps. I used a vinyl I had left over from other projects and did the topstitching as indicated. I practiced my topstitching (because it usually sucks) and learned how to use the edgestitch tool I didn't even know I had. Razz

I painted everything to match (including the boots) and added some 3-D printed buckles I found on Etsy (I've been told they're no longer available, so I won't link to those). I used some white acrylic paint mixed with water to make them look distressed and then took sandpaper to everything after that.

I used industrial velcro to attach the flaps to the boots. I hope that holds!

I did cheat on the little loop that is supposed to be sewn into the boot. Instead, I just superglued it onto the seam. If that might affect approval, please let me know. I just really didn't want to hand-sew through vinyl.

I also got the blaster 3-D printed by a friend of a friend. This is one thing I'm not entirely sure about because I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to look like, so if there's something off, let me know. The guy who printed it also painted it for me.

I bought a Kyber crystal from a fellow Jyn cosplayer who used it for her approved costume, so I think that should be cool. Here's a link to the item on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1352629468

Here's what it looks like in person. I think it's beautiful!

Finally, I started on the pants. Now I understand why fellow Jyn cosplayers call them the pants of pain. Very Happy

I went with the H&M pants that another cosplayer recommended. They were out of the black, so I went with the navy and prayed they were dark enough. I think they are (and I'm going to dirty them up a bit once all the details are added, too). I bought two pair: one as the "base" pair and then the other for extra material. The best part? They were on sale for $12 each and I got free shipping.

The one thing I love about these pants is that they pick up every single little bit of dirt and dust, which is perfect for Jyn!

These pants have both the front and back seams, too. But no waistband. So I made one, using the Simplicity pattern for the costume (that's about all I've used from that useless pattern). Here's the waistband with tab.

It's so weird how they look like a lighter blue here because in reality, they're a lot darker than that.

Next up were the pintucks. I didn't even know what a pintuck was! But again, my fellow Jyn cosplayers helped me out a lot and showed me some good tutorials. I practiced a few times on some spare fabric and then went for it. So this is what they look like with the pants hemmed (and man, Jyn loves her short pants, doesn't she?)

I'm working on getting the casing and little strap thing added below the knee and I'm going to embroider the little rectangular things on, too. But this is where I am now with the costume.

I'm also really excited because I found a good slate blue linen blend fabric for the shirt!

Anyway, I am always open to suggestions and any tips as this is very much a WIP.

Thanks!
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeeesss pants of pain. You're doing them in a good order. The pants of pain were not as horrible as the vest of doom. (If I could go back in time and tell myself this....) And that's my method of weathering my pants. It's amazing how easily and quickly they pick up dirt.

I love your idea of using the shoe polish on the gloves! That is so brilliant! I wish I had thought of that! I want to eventually swap out my pleather belt for a leather one, but figuring out how to make it look worn was one of my hold ups. I very well may steal your idea. Wink

My loop on the boot flaps is sewn, but if I'd have super glued it, it would still look the same as it does sewn. I'm not a judge, but I suspect as long as it looks the same as it would if it was sewn, it shouldn't be an issue.

can't wait to see your shirt!
jen0farc ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, great job on the pants! And gluing the loop to the flap is fine, if it looks the same it doesn't matter what mechanics are involved in keeping it in place.

Can't wait to see your progress.
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really dreading the vest so much! All that detail. Perhaps that's why I'm taking my time on the pants of pain. LOL

I ended up struggling with the little squares on the casing around the knees. I tried to embroider it, but it looked awful, so I pulled all the stitches out (I'm so glad this fabric is so forgiving). I got a great suggestion, though, that helped out immensely: I made little squares of felt for that part, sewed them on and embroidered over that. It looks so much better.

I only got one little square done, though, so I'll post photos of that later. I'll finish these pants by the end of the year, I hope!

The shoe polish thing on the gloves was just me experimenting. I had the shoe polish out and thought "Hmmm... I wonder if that will work."

I also commissioned someone to do the belt for me. I think I decided that I didn't really want to learn leather working. This costume is going to make me pull out my hair enough as it is. Razz
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two things about the vest are that there's only a 1/4 pattern so you have to get creative and it's a lot of work. It also (for me) was an introduction to a bunch of new skills. But it's very doable, and if you have experience sewing, which you do, you'll be fine with it. I found the pintucks to be more difficult than the top stitching and the hand quilting.
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on the pants, but I think I'm making progress! I got the little square embroidered patches done and dirtied up those and the strap a little bit with dark gray make-up. I still have to sew the casing to the pants, but now it's just slow-going thanks to the embroidery and hand-sewing.

I will finish these pants before the end of the year!!! (I hope.)

I hope my embroidery isn't too bad. But I really wanted that look.[/img]
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Finished the pants Reply with quote

Well, I did finish these pants by the end of the year. Literally! LOL But the pants are done!

I dirtied up the straps, not sure if you can tell here. Also, how do the embroidered patches look? I spent a lot of time on those. Ugh. I love how the pintucks came out, especially considering I'd never done that before.

nerdylowcostplay (Christie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great! Did you guys find that the Simplicity pattern is not worth it? I'm just starting out and trying to decide the best way to make the shirt and vest. Smile
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of using the Simplicity pattern for the shirt's base, but I'm having to add to it for the collar. The little flap thing in the front is wrong, too, on the pattern, so I'm doing that from scratch. I'm still figuring that part out, which is why I haven't made much progress recently (plus the holidays).

It is definitely useless for the pants, save for maybe the waistband. I might attempt to try to use it for the vest base, although I'd have to modify it for that, too (it's too short and the panels aren't wide enough). I really probably could have saved myself the money and done everything without it.
nerdylowcostplay (Christie)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso: WIP Build Thread Reply with quote

What H&M pants did you get? Smile

robinburks wrote:
I've begun work on my Jyn Erso costume and so I wanted to go ahead and upload some work in progress photos and information of things that I've already done. Forgive me if I get a little loopy, I've spent the day working on the "pants of pain" or so I have dubbed them. LOL

This costume is a mix of things I've made, plus things I've bought/commissioned.

I started with the gloves from Endor Finders. I distressed them with some dark brown shoe polish and a watered down acrylic paint:

For the boots, I went with a combat pair I found on Poshmark for $6. They're a Target brand, but they only say Target, so I'm not sure which Target brand they are. But $6!!! I ordered a half size up so I could put insoles in them.

I'm a member of the Jyn Erso - Stardust Sisters group on Facebook, which has some amazing resources for those of us working on this costume. I used files I got there to cut out the boot flaps. I used a vinyl I had left over from other projects and did the topstitching as indicated. I practiced my topstitching (because it usually sucks) and learned how to use the edgestitch tool I didn't even know I had. Razz

I painted everything to match (including the boots) and added some 3-D printed buckles I found on Etsy (I've been told they're no longer available, so I won't link to those). I used some white acrylic paint mixed with water to make them look distressed and then took sandpaper to everything after that.

I did cheat on the little loop that is supposed to be sewn into the boot. Instead, I just superglued it onto the seam. If that might affect approval, please let me know. I just really didn't want to hand-sew through vinyl.

I also got the blaster 3-D printed by a friend of a friend. This is one thing I'm not entirely sure about because I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to look like, so if there's something off, let me know. The guy who printed it also painted it for me.

I bought a Kyber crystal from a fellow Jyn cosplayer who used it for her approved costume, so I think that should be cool. Here's a link to the item on Etsy.

Finally, I started on the pants. Now I understand why fellow Jyn cosplayers call them the pants of pain. Very Happy

I went with the H&M pants that another cosplayer recommended. They were out of the black, so I went with the navy and prayed they were dark enough. I think they are (and I'm going to dirty them up a bit once all the details are added, too). I bought two pair: one as the "base" pair and then the other for extra material. The best part? They were on sale for $12 each and I got free shipping.

The one thing I love about these pants is that they pick up every single little bit of dirt and dust, which is perfect for Jyn!

These pants have both the front and back seams, too. But no waistband. So I made one, using the Simplicity pattern for the costume (that's about all I've used from that useless pattern). Here's the waistband with tab.

It's so weird how they look like a lighter blue here because in reality, they're a lot darker than that.

Next up were the pintucks. I didn't even know what a pintuck was! But again, my fellow Jyn cosplayers helped me out a lot and showed me some good tutorials. I practiced a few times on some spare fabric and then went for it. So this is what they look like with the pants hemmed (and man, Jyn loves her short pants, doesn't she?)

I'm working on getting the casing and little strap thing added below the knee and I'm going to embroider the little rectangular things on, too. But this is where I am now with the costume.

I'm also really excited because I found a good slate blue linen blend fabric for the shirt!

Anyway, I am always open to suggestions and any tips as this is very much a WIP.

Thanks!
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly continuing to make progress on Jyn. The shirt eluded me for awhile, especially because I thought I might use that Simplicity pattern (which I've since thrown out because it's useless). I did use the pattern for the front and back of the shirt, as well as the sleeves (although I had to shorten them). The front flap thing, though, wasn't right. And the pattern also doesn't have the little collar on the shirt.

I found the blue-grayish fabric on Fabric.com. It's a linen blend (I ignored the pattern's suggestion of a stretch fabric because it's just wrong).

For the front and collar, I just sort of fake-mocked it all up with tracing paper (and I had several versions of the flap before I was happy with it).

After much fighting, cursing and general fit-throwing, I came up with a wearable shirt.

It's a bit wider than I had intended, but that was the only way I could get my big head through the opening so that I could wear it. I really really hope that's okay. Also, this was taken before I shortened the sleeves. Here's the final shirt:

I just started on the vest, too. I just mocked the whole thing up with tracing paper.

The vest is a royal pain, isn't it?

I got some nylon ripstop fabric, but it was a tan color, so I dyed it brown.

Got the pieces cut out and began top-stitching. Then I ran out of thread. Oops. So that's where I am right now.

I think I have all the buckles, straps, tubing, etc. that I need for it, but this is going to be slow going because there is just so much!
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Jyn Erso: WIP Build Thread Reply with quote

I just saw this! I'm supposed to be getting notifications on this thread, but I must've missed it.

I got the tweggings pants, but they are no longer available. They had the seams in the front and back, too, so they were perfect (although they don't have the waistband, so I had to make one). They were on clearance for $11.99 each (I bought two pairs). They didn't have any of the black left, so I went for navy and prayed they were dark enough (I think they are).

nerdylowcostplay wrote:
What H&M pants did you get? Smile

robinburks wrote:

Thanks!
BlackWidowMary ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Are you able to share the boot patter / file?

Thanks!
robinburks ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is actually uploaded to the Facebook Group: Stardust Sisters - A Jyn Erso Costuming Group. If you're working on any of the Jyn costumes, I highly recommending asking to joint he group. They have files for a lot of the little details, as well as awesome reference photos.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StardustSisters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: