Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9cf961ad8f17e3506553dbe624bfce3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Endor donut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I little question for the expert ! Smile Plus your opinion
- Does every donuts is supposed to have the decal on left side ?
- even if answer before is not. I thought I should make a version of the 3D model with the design of the decals inlayed in the model. Concretely, there is a .5 mm deep recess, just enough to be able to paint that easily Smile And should not really seam lower once painted. Do you think the decal is at the right place there ???

And some close up of the design, good ?

OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting idea. The downside is that it is a piece of military gear, and should look like paint or a decal, and that may be too deep to maintain the correct look.
I think it needs to be a bit more forward (look at this pic, it is above where the bill starts, past the openings for the ear covers a bit). It is also closer to the top than the bottom just like you did, so that distance looks right.
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with leaving it as a decal.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all of the screen used Donuts have that graphic / decal added. Some have no decal, and it isn't required for costume approval, so it's probably best to just leave it flat.

It may possibly be a good idea to leave a couple of small registration marks to use for alignment / positioning of the decal.
Perhaps small bumps or protrusions that could be easily sanded down.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you all for your feedback !

OddViking wrote:
That is an interesting idea. The downside is that it is a piece of military gear, and should look like paint or a decal, and that may be too deep to maintain the correct look.
I think it needs to be a bit more forward (look at this pic, it is above where the bill starts, past the openings for the ear covers a bit). It is also closer to the top than the bottom just like you did, so that distance looks right.

Regarding the position, well then I think it's well placed. Because It's a bit hard too take a good shot of the model, but the recess is very close to the front. I can't make it much more forward. My fear was actually it was too much front Smile
Regarding the paint/decal effect. Please not well it's half a millimeter deep. This is really nothing specially when you take into account there will be some printing accuracy that will probably reduce that, then the sanding to remove print line will most certainly get .25mm removed, then primer will smoother that a bit, and paint even more before you start painting the pattern Wink

Quote:
Not all of the screen used Donuts have that graphic / decal added. Some have no decal, and it isn't required for costume approval, so it's probably best to just leave it flat.

It may possibly be a good idea to leave a couple of small registration marks to use for alignment / positioning of the decal.
Perhaps small bumps or protrusions that could be easily sanded down.

I didn't made it clear last time but that would only be an option for printing if people want to Smile there other version without the recess will still be available.
Dirtdiver ()

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I would possibly interested in one.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys ! Some news about this project Smile And lots of pics.

Finally got to work on it. Printed the updated model I did. I BTW removed the indents in the back, as the "Costumes" book about original trilogy clearly show its only paint and not indented. See:

However, I'll make the files available in 3 versions :
- "squared corner" indents, (~2mm depth)
- "squared corner" no indents (still ~.1mm depth, just to help position masking when painting, but with the necessary sanding, it's invisible except from very close.
- Rounded corner indents. (~2mm depth).

The basically raw printed helmet (not even glued together, very happy with the registration marks I did between the 4 pieces as it hold very well things together while gluing it !!!).

As you can see it's really hard to see the helping indents in the back, same with the decals from the front side, except when close up:

The same after gluing, smoothing, sanding, priming and resanding.

The model comes without bumps, but I use hot air gun to warm some parts and add 3 (you need to do it inside and outside the donut, take care the plastic gets really warm to touch barehand when soft enough). Kinda hard to see them on those pics :

Finally after a couple layer of paint, I finished my helmet... pretty heavy on the paint chipping and the weathering I must admit. Next one will be less as I was experimenting multiple painting techniques on this one Smile
Trying to hide in nature

And with flash On. It makes green appears more green than actually is.

So, Following that, and having adjusted it to my head, I'll make 2/3 little adjustments and release the model online. I find the helmet slightly to big as I could trim at least one more centimeter from the lower brim, so I'll downsize it to 97%.

Also, in the assembly of my ERT, I modeled the bandoleer. Sneak peak Wink

Depending on taste, I also made those full cylinder

And all the elements together. The "comm" system was found on thingiverse and put there to scale.

Two of them on my belt webbing :

OddViking (Colin Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are looking really good, I love the bandolier parts. Really good looking at details (like the lack of vents, I just noticed that recently too). Nice work! Lets get some more ERT's out there!
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your nice comments Smile I've to work more on the bandoleer Smile

I have released my helmet 3D model finally ! Last week as part of the 3D model of the month of the Galactic Senate Wink
Here is the link for anyone interested to get the files for free. Please note that if I share the model for free, it doesn't mean you are allowed to produce helmets with it and sell them. That would go against the licence I put for it Wink

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761727

So there are multiple versions of it. Basically 12 if I'm right. Because you have 2 options for printing (full helmet or divided in 4 parts), 2 options for the decals (with or without), and 3 options for the back vents, just for paint, or "indents" that can be square or round corners.

Please note that it will need to be sized to your head. there are indication on thingiverse for that Wink

A word about future project with the helmet model.

I will start producing the piece for people who want to buy one, or fully assemble helmet or fully assembled and painted helmet.

Also, I noticed that Rex as one in the the trailer of second part of rebels season 4, and some Scariff rebel commando also. However, both seems a bit different.
So for the scariff one, I for sure will had options for the specific decal the scariff guy as.
The helmet shape is also a bit different, it's more like an egg shape from top than an ellipse. So if it's not too complicated to just redo the front part, I'll probably do that specific shape.
Same comment for Rex Rebels s4, the shape is bit different. Angles are not the same, but is helmet looks way simpler. I'll wait the episodes, to see if there are more difference on this one. But if not too complicated, I'll probably do it also Wink
JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a great model! thank you so much for putting it on Thingiverse!

I would be extremely interested in a Jedha Saw's militia version. I think there is another thread with some good pictures of it.
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86331

I think the only reason the Rex version is different is because it's animated.

If I may say, and this may be my opinion, but I feel like the curvature on the bottom of the helmet is less pronounced in the movie version. Is there any way to even out the curve a little?
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your nice comments Wink

Thank you also for pointing out that the Partisan's also have those. I'll assume the Partisan's one is the same than the Scarif troopers ? Except the decals of course. But for the back and the general shape ? The scarif troopers for example the shape seen from the top is more ovoid than the Endor troopers.
But the back being different, it will require more modifications than expected. So this will unfortunately not be in my priorities for now.

Regarding the curvature you mention. If I'm not wrong on what you call "curvature", I don't think it is. It depends the angle of view of the helmet, but for time to time, it looks more curved than others.
And if you compare to that nice side view for example :

Looks pretty similar to me.
But the more it goes, the more I'm convinced there were 2 endor donuts produced, a hero version and a stunt one, with shape changing maybe a little bit. Or elements like the black stripes being actually indents or not :s

Finally for Rex. Sure it's probably because it's to fit a global style. But still they could have make same shape more easily, so it was deliberate choice I'ld say.
I'll update here if I make a new model!
JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the back is very different. That is fair Smile

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-juYDYP1FltI/VBVUnjwsTuI/AAAAAAAADbo/RNSci8y00vs/s1600/screen09.jpg

Yeah, I think you are completely correct about the different versions. The hero one seems to be straight-lined from the back to front (angled, but not curved - see link), and the image you posted does seem curved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: